Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

nicb88

Disney is just a stop on an extension to Tampa. It's going to be no different then trains in other places. It's not meant to transport guests nom stop to and from Disney like Me was. Mears is the replacement
If Disney was a spur track from the line to Tampa, and was able to lease track, they could develop an ME replacement eventually. That way, the trains could operate as a shuttle service to and from WDW. I know it's unlikely, but it wouldn't be impossible in the next 10 years. It could mean specific WDW service and trains to Tampa wouldn't be held up by WDW trains stopping.

jt04

Disney is just a stop on an extension to Tampa. It's going to be no different then trains in other places. It's not meant to transport guests nom stop to and from Disney like Me was. Mears is the replacement

Two entirely different applications. Brightline is not designed to be a shuttle service. In that sense we agree.

HarperRose

They can solve the parking issue with an annual parking pass and limited premium parking pass (resort parking included). ME can be replaced by light rail using Brightline tracks or Disney's own bus service on dedicated flyover (both long term prospects). EMH is back I think (mornings only). Tram service will have to return soon by necessity.

Point is, there are solutions and win win concepts for consumers and the mba's. IMO.
*sigh* Do we really need to go over the "train is not a replacement for DME" again?

The train (at least 6-10 years in the future) is not a replacement for DME!!

Parker in NYC

I think its just the point. You've already knocked me over the head now you want to shake my pockets out for the spare change leftover. Personally just add it to the cost of the room. I won't stay anywhere if there is a parking fee.
There isn’t a resort on earth as pricey as WDW that doesn’t shake pockets for spare change. Or even more. As long as people go, they’re going to keep taking advantage. Judging from Disney lately, they don’t seem to budge EVEN if people don’t visit.

Lilofan

There isn’t a resort on earth as pricey as WDW that doesn’t shake pockets for spare change. Or even more. As long as people go, they’re going to keep taking advantage. Judging from Disney lately, they don’t seem to budge EVEN if people don’t visit.
In the past when Disney sees a lull in attendance , out come the Florida resident discounts .

Parker in NYC

In the past when Disney sees a lull in attendance , out come the Florida resident discounts .
I remember when those discounts became available for non-residents. And really, are the discounts that do become available really that much of a value/savings? I think at this point Disney adds what normally would have been those discounts into the rack rate (yes I know that’s a regular practice but bear with me). So they really aren’t losing a thing. The inflation is comparatively nowhere near what it used to be.

Parker in NYC

To add, I just don’t understand how for a resort like Disney (at least for those staying moderate or above), that guests even care about parking when those categories are now truly exorbitant. At this point, if you can afford a trip to a Disney , you’ve already made the decision to spend more money comparatively than you ever did in the past.

UNCgolf

To add, I just don’t understand how for a resort like Disney (at least for those staying moderate or above), that guests even care about parking when those categories are now truly exorbitant. At this point, if you can afford a trip to a Disney , you’ve already made the decision to spend more money comparatively than you ever did in the past.

Yeah, but it still matters. It wasn't enough to stop me from going, but it really felt insulting to have to pay $150 for parking in lots that were 85-90% empty. Just because I can afford to pay it doesn't mean I want to throw money away.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Yeah, but it still matters. It wasn't enough to stop me from going, but it really felt insulting to have to pay $150 for parking in the parking lots were 85-90% empty. Just because I can afford to pay it doesn't mean I want to throw money away.
Unfortunately, Disney probably isn’t changing their position (all the more now, since people are paying more than ever for a lack of perks like FP+, nighttime entertainment, live entertainment, EMH [that 30 minutes in the morning joke, ha], DME baggage delivery, lack of open resorts, lack of certain restaurants and buffets, limited or missing monorail service, limited housekeeping service, AND having to do park reservations on top of that. I’m sure Disney is sitting back thinking... these suckers don’t need any of this added overhead and we’ll still get their dough.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Unfortunately, Disney probably isn’t changing their position (all the more now, since people are paying more than ever for a lack of perks like FP+, nighttime entertainment, live entertainment, EMH [that 30 minutes in the morning joke, ha], DME baggage delivery, lack of open resorts, lack of certain restaurants and buffets, limited or missing monorail service, limited housekeeping service, AND having to do park reservations on top of that. I’m sure Disney is sitting back thinking... these suckers don’t need any of this added overhead and we’ll still get their dough.

They're definitely not changing their position. The parking alone was insulting, but the park reservation system and (especially) limited park hopping is potentially enough to keep me from going at all. I also think the 30 minute mornings is a joke, but I never used early morning hours anyway. I don't like to set an alarm on a vacation at Disney World -- if I'm setting an alarm on vacation it's because I have an early tee time or because I'm somewhere like London or Paris where there are a million things I want to do and need to maximize every available minute.

The trip I mentioned was pre-COVID, by the way. There's no chance I'd pay to go under current operations with so much closed/missing.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

It's also why they aren't in a hurry to bring any of those things back. The suckers... I mean Dis fans will take whatever is offered cause Pixie dust is like an addiction.

HarperRose

It's also why they aren't in a hurry to bring any of those things back. The suckers... I mean Dis fans will take whatever is offered cause Pixie dust is like an addiction.
A Celebration of the Festival of the Lion King is coming back mid-May. It was just announced.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
At least as it concerns WDW hotels, Disney doesn't want more people to come.

In the last full quarter before COVID hit, domestic hotel occupancy was at an incredible 92%.

Here's what Jay Rasulo, former Disney CFO, had to say about hotel occupancy in 2015:

You know, Michael, I think hoteliers in general will tell you that to try to fill a hotel beyond 89%, 90%, 91% is extremely difficult because to go beyond that, it takes too many matchups of people who are staying three nights, checking out; replaced by five nights; replaced -- in rapid succession. It becomes quite difficult.​
So I think that you are right -- that when you see occupancy in that kind of range, you are getting close to pretty much a full house.​

From Disney's perspective, the hotels are full. In fact, they are more than full. Guests are being turned away because no rooms are available.

Disney either can spend a lot of capex to build more hotels, which takes a long time to recover this investment, or Disney can eliminate expensive onsite benefits and pocket the cash right now.

It's ugly but true - Disney cares more about its bottom line than its Guests.
So the expansion of WDW resorts we most recently saw, all being DVC builds - Did they all being a DVC builds help the recovery of the capex spent?
Also the Star Wars Hotel, built for 3 day stays - they built this knowing its going to add stress onto their resorts when families are done... wouldn't they hope that the guests moves to another resort on property for the remaining days of stay.

DME wasn't the 1st expensive thing they've eliminated for guests, some things like the free magic bands were replaced with a now you purchase it if you want and or use your phone.... DME is a cut without them replacing it, which is hard for many WDW guests and fans to understand and grasp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom