Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

jt04

yea people have choices regarding transportation, but no one likes when a service that was part of your resort cost is removed and you have to seek out alternative at additional cost

Agreed! And people will be wondering why they haven't added train šŸš† service yet. Especially since the President is a big fan. Just consider it growing pains, but the future is brightšŸŒž

Daily Magic

We flew in this weekend for what we thought would be our last visit using the DME. We had to get our bags for the first time which was mildly disorienting bc we didnā€™t know how to get back to DME after grabbing our bags, no biggie.

When we found it we were shocked by the line. It ran down past the rental car counters and was easily an hour wait just to get to the point where you scan your magic band to get segmented into smaller lines. We cut our loses, ordered an Uber for $45 and had a great experience. Never got to the park faster. Itā€™s definitely how weā€™ll do it in the future no matter what Mears offers.

The biggest part we missed was the service of getting your luggage directly to your room. With that gone all that was left was an extra line and frustration outside of the bubble. Obviously the time of year and even time of the week could change that long line but in the future Iā€™ll just enjoy the quick stress free service a ride share provides for a nominal fee.

GymLeaderPhil

@ParentsOf4 I'd be curious on your thoughts about Minnie Van failure? Seemingly the answer to the ride share issue, Disney branded and operated it gave guests the peace of mind to use them (at an very inflated price). They always seemed like they were in demand and profitable?
It didnā€™t fail and they were slowly expanding service options before COVID. Once the pandemic forced the closure of WDW/DCL, they laid off anyone who was in a non-critical and non-unionized role. Minnie Vans were not essential to the day to day operations of both the parks and ships once they resumed operations. Itā€™s sad this cost cast members their jobs, but it was the right call given limited capacity.

The fleet of vehicles is still there and I donā€™t doubt that we wonā€™t see their return once we get closer to normalcy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
and possible Mears could decide to continue as paid service since they already have investment into the buses

Which is exactly how it was before Disney contracted them on the cheap to do the exact same thing in Disney painted buses. Meats also owns the cabs in town...they have long been the biggest transport company in Orlando.

I thought I read somewhere that they already did decide to do that. Maybe it was just hearsay though.

timewarp...basically back to what it was

They can turn on the deluge of pent up AP demand anytime they choose. šŸ’²šŸ’²šŸ’² The population growth of Florida is not slowing down and that is the major change of the last couple decades. Many people moving just for the leisure opportunities and theme parks.

So my prediction is after the 50th Disney will take a couple major resorts offline and completely retheme them. Part of the result will be that demand will consistently exceed supply. And that will be the case until the train station is built (inevitability). After which they'll finally need that new Bay Lake resort and more.

In the meantime, as it concerns transportation people have Mears, Uber, rentals.

Just my opinion.
The ā€œboomā€ in Florida was decades ago. Itā€™s relatively mild now. Let me guess: youā€™ve been watching talk of cheap, tax free havens on bad tv or internet sites?

yeah...thatā€™s always sold for kicks when an agenda for ad dollars is being peddled

hereā€™s a charty thingamajig if you need to see

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

The biggest part we missed was the service of getting your luggage directly to your room. With that gone all that was left was an extra line and frustration outside of the bubble. Obviously the time of year and even time of the week could change that long line but in the future Iā€™ll just enjoy the quick stress free service a ride share provides for a nominal fee.
Co-signed. This was the only ā€œmagicalā€ thing about it, TBH. Will be sorely missed.

jt04

Which is exactly how it was before Disney contracted them on the cheap to do the exact same thing in Disney painted buses. Meats also owns the cabs in town...they have long been the biggest transport company in Orlando.

The ā€œboomā€ in Florida was decades ago. Itā€™s relatively mild now. Let me guess: youā€™ve been watching talk of cheap, tax free havens on bad things or internet sites?

yeah...thatā€™s always sold for kicks when an agenda is being

I'm going by metrics such as enough population to require continual road building and widening, allow the building of highish speed rail, new beltways, and new U.S. Congressional Seats every 10 years. Stuff like that.

Just compare the Miami skyline in 2021 to 2011. And I think Miami is seeing a new wave from the Northeast as is Jacksonville. šŸŒ‡šŸŒ†šŸŒƒšŸ¢

Amazing.

JoeCamel

The ā€œboomā€ in Florida was decades ago. Itā€™s relatively mild now. Let me guess: youā€™ve been watching talk of cheap, tax free havens on bad things or internet sites?

yeah...thatā€™s always sold for kicks when an agenda is being

Man, those dot.com years

Nubs70

I have not looked at Minnie Van closely. Itā€™s a tiny fraction of the business and, frankly, I never paid much attention to it.

Others should be better positioned to comment.
In my opinion, the Minnie Van is more of an attempt at a job lot manufacturing transformation when they were thinking more of a mass customization transformation. Minnie Van doesn't have the volume to move the revenue needle.

Dan Deesnee

It won't. You and a few others won't make one difference as many others will replace you. And those that do decide to skip it will be back and Disney knows this.

Believe what you want. Most parents don't want to bring 1-3 car seats down with them when flying. Yeah, they'll need to if they plan to use an Uber. I guess mom could hold 1 year old Tommy on her lap and dad could hold the 2 year old on his, that's legal right? And safe? It's only a 45 minute trip...

I think you are ignoring the fact that Disney wants families in the park. Make it harder for families to go, logic tells you less will go.

I first started going with my family about 7 years ago, we've been 10 times since and bought DVC. I can tell you with certainty that without Magical Express that would be more like 4 trips. The first thing I say to people when they ask why we go to Disney so much..."Because it's so easy. We land, get to the hotel and our luggage arrives in the room. No car seats or driving the entire trip!"

I'm not alone, and this service removal will hurt Disney bad.

Jon81uk

You assume those families won't pay for a bus service that could very likely continue to be run by Mears

ME may be ending, but very possible Mears or another company continues the service but at a fee for passengers.

Paying for a Mears shuttle is exactly what we did before DME, unless our holiday package operator offered it as part of the package. It was still with Mears though no matter if we paid, or Disney paid or the holiday package paid.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my opinion, the Minnie Van is more of an attempt at a job lot manufacturing transformation when they were thinking more of a mass customization transformation. Minnie Van doesn't have the volume to move the revenue needle.

it was just a probe to test the appetite for mass overpayment based on a paint scheme on a car.

thatā€™s igerā€™s epitaph/legacy

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wow. Who knew that there is all this ā€œpent up demandā€ from APā€™s, who apparently havenā€™t been able to go to the parks thus far? I wonder if they themselves know this, at least those who have been able to keep/renew their AP. Iā€™m so thankful I was told that, as an AP holder myself, by someone who hasnā€™t set foot in a Disney theme park in decades. šŸ™„

Will the removal of DME mean some donā€™t visit? Yes. Will Disney care? Not likely. Remember - They believe they have an infinite pool of guests who are ready, willing, and able to drop $10k+ to visit their parks in the swamps.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm going by metrics such as enough population to require continual road building and widening, allow the building of highish speed rail, new beltways, and new U.S. Congressional Seats every 10 years. Stuff like that.

Just compare the Miami skyline in 2021 to 2011. And I think Miami is seeing a new wave from the Northeast as is Jacksonville. šŸŒ‡šŸŒ†šŸŒƒšŸ¢

Amazing.

Florida always overbuilds in ā€œboomsā€...and the stock market is pumped up on steroids...

donā€™t let cranes fool you. That is cash grab...not migration. The urban sprawl that occurred in the north is just starting there. Thereā€™s almost no actual population influx

Archie123

Pent up demand among others things will squash the few naysayers on the elimination of DME.

You are correct. I have used DME once so it being discontinued won't affect me but I totally get why people are upset that it is going away but I don't think for one second people will totally stop going to Disney because it is gone. It is more internet anger that won't actually actually make any noticeable difference to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom