Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

plawren2

Never used DME and never had the inclination to do so. As a matter of fact, with the exception of DS Westside to Marketplace ferry boats we stay well clear of any Disney transportation if we can help it. We drive a rental from MCO and we come and go from the parks on our schedule and get to our destination much quicker. It irked us that Disney charged for parking but at least it was free if you stayed on property. With Disney charging for parking in the hotel lots now we will not be staying on-site any longer. If I am going to pay for parking one way or the other then we may as well stay off-site cheaper. DME could go or stay. Never makes a difference for us. Once we got off the plane we want to go to the hotel and check in. Not sit in a bus waiting for nearly another hour for it to fill up.
We used DME numerous times and with no issues or waits, could not justify paying $40+ a day for a car that would largely sit unused in a resort parking lot for several days. Never been a big fan of the WDW buses from resorts to park, but we managed and without rental car we easily saved $250-300+ each trip.

JoeCamel

... Except when they need AP’s to prop up the parks.

And can you define “discouraging APs for years”? If they do away with them completely, there’s a lot of guests who simply won’t return because of a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a place up the road that appears to actually want guests and AP’s. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Reducing Perks and discounts while jacking the price through the roof. Oh, we give you photo pass, hey I don't care about photo pass.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Reducing Perks and discounts while jacking the price through the roof. Oh, we give you photo pass, hey I don't care about photo pass.

Ok. To me, that’s not necessarily discouraging AP’s, that’s taking away things while increasing prices, which has become a hallmark of The Bob’s era. The real value in an AP is on multiple visits, plus the standard 20% merchandise discount (which comes in handy when you know where to get snacks and drinks for 20% off).

I agree on the example of PhotoPass. It’s a throwaway of little particular value, yet the PR machine tries to sell it as a $199 value!!!1!! Too bad there are but a handful of PhotoPass photogs in the parks these days.

Parker in NYC

I was just there this past week. Flew in on April 1st. There was a 75 minute wait for ME and a 45 minute wait for Uber pick up so I ended up with a 100 dollar Meers cab trip after tip to my resort. It was worth it!
A 45 minute wait for an Uber that could be absolutely crummy? The “Black Car” service is also a joke. I’d much rather keep DME then get into a possibly smoke-filled, over-cologned rideshare. I can do that at home :)

G00fyDad

We used DME numerous times and with no issues or waits, could not justify paying $40+ a day for a car that would largely sit unused in a resort parking lot for several days. Never been a big fan of the WDW buses from resorts to park, but we managed and without rental car we easily saved $250-300+ each trip.

If you didn't wait then congrats. You must have gotten on the bus right before it was ready to leave. Everyone else had likely been waiting 45-60 minutes. Nearly everyone I have ever talked to has had very long waits. Occasionally I meet someone who had little to no wait but they admit that the bus was already there waiting for a while before they got on. I'd rather have a rental car. We park hop a lot, go to CW beach, shop around Orlando, etc. And we do not take WDW transportation other than the DS ferry, the ferry across SSL, and a single monorail trip. Our car does not just sit in the resort parking lot. :) Now that they are charging for parking I will rent a car and stay off-site and still save nearly $400-$500.

plawren2

If you didn't wait then congrats. You must have gotten on the bus right before it was ready to leave. Everyone else had likely been waiting 45-60 minutes. Nearly everyone I have ever talked to has had very long waits. Occasionally I meet someone who had little to no wait but they admit that the bus was already there waiting for a while before they got on. I'd rather have a rental car. We park hop a lot, go to CW beach, shop around Orlando, etc. And we do not take WDW transportation other than the DS ferry, the ferry across SSL, and a single monorail trip. Our car does not just sit in the resort parking lot. :) Now that they are charging for parking I will rent a car and stay off-site and still save nearly $400-$500.
Depends a lot on time of day plus time of year, since we avoid the busiest seasons at WDW, we have not waited any longer that 20-30 minutes total (I have spent just as much if not more time waiting an airport rental car counter). Yep I see advantage of having car to do other activities, but for those spending every hour at WDW we have never needed a rental car.

JoeCamel

Ok. To me, that’s not necessarily discouraging AP’s, that’s taking away things while increasing prices, which has become a hallmark of The Bob’s era. The real value in an AP is on multiple visits, plus the standard 20% merchandise discount (which comes in handy when you know where to get snacks and drinks for 20% off).

I agree on the example of PhotoPass. It’s a throwaway of little particular value, yet the PR machine tries to sell it as a $199 value!!!1!! Too bad there are but a handful of PhotoPass photogs in the parks these days.
For several years ther "standard 20%" was not standard, it was reduced

Nubs70

It seems counterintuitive to add another push to off site. The parking fees, the crazy hotel rates and remember they had EMH at many of the offsite resorts. I think the individual revenue management teams run their algorithms to meet their internal controls (Chapeks 10% growth) for revenue, and have no thoughts towards a overall business strategy.

As far as Vegas goes they were having issues prior to the pandemic. I read an article that was warning about resort fees going up in Vegas and hotel occupancy going down. They are no longer the number one destination for baclorette parties, Nashville is.
Unless WDW were to consider purchasing off site hotel capacity to be run by 3rd parties.

Parker in NYC

I’m childless with dispensable income. And I don’t drive. I’m Disney’s target audience! Where’s the transport? They have an opportunity to charge. If we’re already paying deluxe prices for value rooms, they’re leaving more money on the table.

disreport

Don’t forget that a rail service is scheduled to open in a few years.

Between car rentals, Uber, and rail, bus service from MCO to WDW looks to be on a downward spiral.

And with daily parking fees at the hotels now in place, Disney has a good reason to want people to drive.

Pretty sure you get the "parking fee" charge added on whether you actually "park" a car at the resort or not.

JoeCamel

I’m childless with dispensable income. And I don’t drive. I’m Disney’s target audience! Where’s the transport? They have an opportunity to charge. If we’re already paying deluxe prices for value rooms, they’re leaving more money on the table.
No kids? More like Universal's demo

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
@ParentsOf4 I'd be curious on your thoughts about Minnie Van failure? Seemingly the answer to the ride share issue, Disney branded and operated it gave guests the peace of mind to use them (at an very inflated price). They always seemed like they were in demand and profitable?

Brer Oswald

This most definitely will keep a substantial number of families from going. And families are their bread and butter.

The trips I've taken without our kids are MUCH cheaper. Far less snacks, far less merchandise.

To say the DME was costing more money than it was making them is not possible to know for certain. It's a corporate decision made on a conclusion they believe to be accurate.

As I said in another post, this decision will have ramifications that ripple far into the future. Disney die hards are often created when young. Less families going, less die hards, less AP sales, less DVC owners.
While it seems like such a small thing, it probably will have an impact on whether or not families stay at the resorts. Disney is trying to target younger audiences now more than ever with their new attractions and content, but continues to increase the prices, making it difficult for families to visit.

I’m sure the “data” shows that everything is fine, but how much of that is due to their long-standing reputation for quality that appeals to all ages? It would take a lot of erosion for them to completely lose this reputation, but what they’re doing doesn’t help it, nor does it make much sense with the audience they are attempting to target.

Goofyernmost

Let’s use a simple example to show why it’s so difficult to achieve 100% room occupancy.

I have booked an 8-night stay, Saturday to Sunday. You want to arrive on the 2nd Saturday of my trip. Even though the room is available after that, you cannot book my room.

The reality is much more complex. There are thousands booking rooms. Disney can get check-outs and check-ins to line up pretty well, but it’s not perfect.

Some days of the week are more in demand than others. Person A wants a Saturday to Sunday 8-night trip while person B wants a Thursday to Sunday 3-night trip.

Friday and Saturday nights are in highest demand, while Monday to Wednesday nights are in least demand. This is reflected in Disney’s variable pricing. A Saturday night costs a lot more than a Tuesday night.

In addition, Disney often blocks off certain types of bookings. For example, try to book just Saturday night at Art of Antimation. Now try to book that same Saturday for a multi night stay.

Disney is trying to “save” the high demand Saturday night at a Value Resort for those who are staying multiple nights.
Yes, I agree that does make sense. I wasn't thinking in that booked and cancelled direction that could run which leaves rooms empty on a regular basis. It is sometimes hard to focus on the enormous size of WDW resorts. Even if there are people that wanted the room, the cancelations can easily fall into times when it is to late to fill it. If it was 100% walk ins it might have a better chance of keeping all of them filled and even then it would be just about impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom