Umm 21st Century Fox Purchase?

Cmdr_Crimson

Another Simpsons prediciton comes to light....
DN-KDaRVoAU-Guf.jpg:large

prberk

The original print of Star Wars.
You beat me to it.

Another landmark 20th Century Fox film, though not as talked-about today, is "The Sound of Music," which ABC continues to broadcast annually. It "saved" the company in 1963, which was largely becoming insolvent at the time -- until that film took over theatres and showed in most cities for an entire year, becoming the biggest film ever at the time. Then a little over a decade later "Star Wars" came in like a tidal wave and helped Fox again, in another somewhat dark period for box office.. and changed the landscape for films for a long time to come.

prberk

I wonder how different Alien Encounter might have turned out if Disney had owned Fox’s films.
I am not sure how much different it might have been at the time, as it was a Lucasfilm partnership that created the ride and yet didn't feel the need to recreate "Star Tours" -- and it was done at a time when the company still was building rides that were newly creative and not necessarily "all IP all the time."

Bender123

I am not sure how much different it might have been at the time, as it was a Lucasfilm partnership that created the ride and yet didn't feel the need to recreate "Star Tours" -- and it was done at a time when the company still was building rides that were newly creative and not necessarily "all IP all the time."

It was originally envisioned as an "Alien" ride...It would have been very similar, just themed to Alien. If I recall, it was originally supposed to be called Nostromo or something along those lines.

AEfx

This potential includes film/TV rights to: X-Men, Simpson’s, Kingsmen, Die Hard, Deadpool, Fantastic 4, Avatar.

Did I miss anything major?

Alien, Home Alone, Planet of the Apes, Predator, X-Files...

The original print of Star Wars.

This is often misunderstood within the fan community. All they hold "permanently" are the distribution rights to the original Star Wars. The distribution of the other films expires in 2020. All evidence (like the 2004 DVD release and the change in the credits) indicates that Lucasfilm got everything else back in return for giving the Prequel Trilogy to FOX to distribute, despite an article that appeared in 2012 around the time of the sale to Disney that speculated otherwise (which is the only reference point that most of the modern talk goes back to).

This would be good to bring everything under one umbrella, and would be more profitable for Disney when it comes to home releases as they could entirely release them themselves. It would also finally make it much more likely we will finally see the original OT released - Disney has had them done since 2012/13 (restoring the original films with the available sources was the first thing they did when they purchased Lucasfilm). Presumably they have been sitting on them waiting for the right time - and being able to profit 100% from them instead of revenue sharing with FOX has been the assumed reason they haven't yet.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Should we start a new thread for possible rides if this happens? I'm also down for the "Big Trouble in Little China" sewers dark ride. I mean, they already own so much of Kurt Russell.

TROR

The line between Disney and other theme parks becomes even more blurred. What's the appeal of Disney if Universal has the same properties in their parks? Ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom