Umm 21st Century Fox Purchase?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can we turn Stitch’s Great Escape back to Alien Encounter and have it hosted by Mulder and Scully?

....the truth is out there

We need the Cigarette Smoking Man too. After the lights go out a glowing cigarette appears in a wreath of smoke and he is seen in profile directing the team removing the alien...

Nj4mwc

They already do. Contrary to one poorly sourced article at the time of the sale, Lucasfilm has owned Star Wars since the Prequel era. The only thing this would change would be that the distribution rights to the five other films would come a year or two sooner, and they wouldn't have to cut Fox in perpetually for a portion of home video/re-release sales that included the original film.
I feel like a re release of the original trilogy unchanged could rake in whatever the purchase price of fox would be, the could charge a ludicrous amount for the original trilogy and most wouldn't bat an eye, I know I'd be explaining to my wife why I just used the rent money to buy a 40 year old movie I already own in multiple formats

seascape

Another great thing about buy Fox or the alternative discussed on CNBC is that either one would give them more money from Comcast for their theme park license. However the alternative one would force Universal into giving Disney the .Marvel theme park rights back if Universal wanted to renew the license which is not forever.

Nj4mwc

You haven't heard? The latest is that the four (!!) sequels will be out in 2020, 2021, 2024, and 2025...

This will be known as "Cameron's Folly..."

As far as I can tell, Fox isn't actually paying for them but just distributing them (like Star Wars), so thankfully it's not a huge risk for them to take into account.
I hate Avatar the movie with a passion so much so that if someone tells me they like it I will not listen to any movie recommendations from them ever again. But I feel like Cameron could get lucky. There's no real love/obsession for the characters so he's not pinned down to any story. He can kinda go anywhere in that world he wants. I don't know if he's gonna have some new film technique to wow us with like the 3D at the time of Avatar but this is James Cameron, he could make at least the first 1 or 2 sequels worthy of being in the parks.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
No, no, no... they need the TV stuff as well. Who doesn't think the inside of the Stitch/Alien/Mission theatre in Tomorrowland already looked like it was ready for an overlay to be the inside of the Jupiter 2? Danger Will Robinson...
Alien? I don’t know. Alien Encounter had everyone running.

AEfx

I’m not holding my breath on the sequels, but Disney knows how to milk a cash cow and look how quickly they started rolling out Star Wars movies after buying Lucas films. The billion dollar budget may give them some pause, but what are the odds that each of those movies earns less than half a billion dollars? That’s what they will probably need to break even.

How dare you put Star Wars and Avatar in the same sentence. That's just...AWFUL! ;)

In all seriousness, though - that's just it - there is no financial risk to be taken. As far as I can tell, he is financing them himself (or with outside investors). The studio is just distributing them - which means after they are finished, he pays for them and makes them, he delivers them and Fox is the one responsible for advertising, getting them into theaters and managing home video releases, for a (comparatively small) cut.

That's why he's been able to be as crazy and ambitious as he is with the films, because a studio isn't holding the purse strings. No studio in their right mind would be financing a billion dollars filming four sequels to a single film, even one as profitable as Avatar was. Or let him get away with the scheduling and rescheduling of them, etc. Particularly one that has shown absolutely no legs in terms of merchandising.

As to what they will do at the box office this time...Avatar was the perfect storm of market and and technology. It was a crappy time at the box office, it was a new resurrection of 3D for this generation, and the first film that was made specifically for the technology. It's difficult to see how that lightning can be captured in a bottle again.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If this deal goes through, this is the end of the “Walt Disney” part of the Walt Disney Company.

Eh... I think that already happened.

Soon to be renamed The Bob Iger Company

Ok, then. Let's put to bed this snarking idiocy of the hateratti that is claiming that the core Disney will be lost (or has already been lost) in all the acquisitions:

1. Core Disney is and always has been mostly based on acquisition: public domain folktales and stories; Peter Pan; Alice; Davy Crockett; Pooh; Mary Poppins. Compared to famous and original Disney creations (Mickey and pals), the acquisitions totally overwhelm anything originated from Uncle Walt and his merry band. And so if Disney acquires Marvel like they acquired Pooh, or if they acquire Star Wars like they acquired Poppins... it's all, now, core Disney.

2. Core Disney is always about adding and growing properties through original content and acquisition. <insert Walt's quotes on growing and moving forward>

3. Disney isn't abandoning anything that's 'core Disney.' In fact, Disney is frantically doubling down on anything and everything Mickey and friends: Disney Jr. series; castle stage shows; upgrading the Mickey M&G; new Mickey shorts (the 3D theatrical release and the new web shorts); and at long last, a Mickey E-Ticket ride. You'd almost think that Disney's gearing up to make a case to Congress to extend copyright soon by showing how they're using and innovating their core property...

4. The work of core Disney in the past 10 years is not abating and only growing. Not from Pixar or Muppets or LucasFilm or Marvel, but from Disney studios we have in the past 10 years:

Moana
Zootopia
Big Hero 6
Frozen
Wreck-It Ralph
Winnie the Pooh
Tangled
The Princess and the Frog
Bolt
Alice in Wonderland
Tron: Legacy
Pirates Franchise Movies
(John Carter)*
Oz the Great and Powerful
(The Lone Ranger)*
Saving Mr. Banks
Maleficent
Into the Woods
Cinderella
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Pete’s Dragon
Beauty and the Beast

*(They all can't be winners :( )​

To think that Disney studios will be overwhelmed and disappear amongst the acquisitions is laughable. It has strength to stand up to the acquisitions, plus, it is the very the acquisitions that wind up being subsumed and overwhelmed into the Disney brand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom