Umm 21st Century Fox Purchase?

Brainleech419

Fox Animation:

Fox Animation Studios
  • Anastasia (finally! she would become a really real Disney princess... if she really was a royal... or had regal heroic qualities, right, Mulan?)
  • Titan A.E. (this movie along with Anastasia represented a failed attempt at a dedicated animation studio to rival Disney's with the help of... <drum roll> Don Bluth!)

With Ralph Bakshi
  • Wizards
  • Fire and Ice

With Richard Williams
  • Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure

Distributor of:
  • FernGully: The Last Rainforest,
  • Once Upon a Forest
  • The Pagemaster

With Blue Sky Studios (owned by Fox)
  • Ice Age (5 movies)
  • Rio (2 movies)
  • Robots
  • Epic
  • The Peanuts Movie
  • Horton Hears a Who (2008 CGI)
  • The Simpsons Movie
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Book of Life (the Coco prequel ;) )

Upcoming:
  • Ferdinand (so... a CGI retelling of a classic Disney animated short)
  • Puff the Magic Dragon (in development, sorry, Pete)

TV Animation
  • all the MacFarland ones
  • Simpsons
  • Archer
I believe the American Tale films and the secret of NIMH
are in there somewhere as well

Pixieish

Fox Animation:

Fox Animation Studios
  • Anastasia (finally! she would become a really real Disney princess... if she really was a royal... or had regal heroic qualities, right, Mulan?)
  • Titan A.E. (this movie along with Anastasia represented a failed attempt at a dedicated animation studio to rival Disney's with the help of... <drum roll> Don Bluth!)

With Ralph Bakshi
  • Wizards
  • Fire and Ice

With Richard Williams
  • Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure

Distributor of:
  • FernGully: The Last Rainforest,
  • Once Upon a Forest
  • The Pagemaster

With Blue Sky Studios (owned by Fox)
  • Ice Age (5 movies)
  • Rio (2 movies)
  • Robots
  • Epic
  • The Peanuts Movie
  • Horton Hears a Who (2008 CGI)
  • The Simpsons Movie
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Book of Life (the Coco prequel ;) )

Upcoming:
  • Ferdinand (so... a CGI retelling of a classic Disney animated short)
  • Puff the Magic Dragon (in development, sorry, Pete)

TV Animation
  • all the MacFarland ones
  • Simpsons
  • Archer

AGAIN, you deliver. Seriously...this forum needs a "love" button. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The home video rights are now with Fox along with all the other UA/MGM movies like the Bond fims and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

But does that mean that if Disney bought Fox they would have the complete rights to those movies to do as they please: rerelease theatrically, remake, make sequels, use in parks, OR, just to continue to distribute digitally?

AEfx

Disney owned those studios but they were separated from Disney. The goal was not to mix Disney and these smaller studios. The goal of owning Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Henson, and potentially 20th Century is to mix them all together.

But...they haven't. Marvel and Lucasfilm are run as independently as Touchstone, etc. ever were.

As Fox isn't really a "brand", I especially don't think it will matter much - Disney will simply take over making those films, I doubt they would actually keep the brand.

AEfx

Yes Disney would now own A New Hope. And the distribution rights to the first 6. If I remember, Lucas gave Fox that.

They already do. Contrary to one poorly sourced article at the time of the sale, Lucasfilm has owned Star Wars since the Prequel era. The only thing this would change would be that the distribution rights to the five other films would come a year or two sooner, and they wouldn't have to cut Fox in perpetually for a portion of home video/re-release sales that included the original film.

Pixieish

But...they haven't. Marvel and Lucasfilm are run as independently as Touchstone, etc. ever were.

As Fox isn't really a "brand", I especially don't think it will matter much - Disney will simply take over making those films, I doubt they would actually keep the brand.
That's my feeling too. Especially for things like the Marvel characters...they already have the Marvel brand for that.

AEfx

If this deal happens do we have to go back and delete hundreds of posts griping about Avatar Land being a bad idea because it wasn’t a Disney IP? Will Avatar actually spread to other parks? Will we finally get some sequels?

You haven't heard? The latest is that the four (!!) sequels will be out in 2020, 2021, 2024, and 2025...

This will be known as "Cameron's Folly..."

As far as I can tell, Fox isn't actually paying for them but just distributing them (like Star Wars), so thankfully it's not a huge risk for them to take into account.

seascape

But does that mean that if Disney bought Fox they would have the complete rights to those movies to do as they please: rerelease theatrically, remake, make sequels, use in parks, OR, just to continue to distribute digitally?
They would get it all. This is something they should do. It would also provide some great IP to use in a new gate aimed and the teen to 40 year old market.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You haven't heard? The latest is that the four (!!) sequels will be out in 2020, 2021, 2024, and 2025...

This will be known as "Cameron's Folly..."

As far as I can tell, Fox isn't actually paying for them but just distributing them (like Star Wars), so thankfully it's not a huge risk for them to take into account.
I’m not holding my breath on the sequels, but Disney knows how to milk a cash cow and look how quickly they started rolling out Star Wars movies after buying Lucas films. The billion dollar budget may give them some pause, but what are the odds that each of those movies earns less than half a billion dollars? That’s what they will probably need to break even.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom