Ulitidors

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Those backstage tours of the MK and Epcot utilidors are fascinating. Great peek into how the operations are really run. I wish they'd offer tours of the Studios utilidors, because those are truly unique. Due to the high water table in the Studios area, the utilidors could not be built under the park as they are at the MK and Epcot. Instead, they're built above the park with a huge simulated sky on their underside to camouflage them from guests. If you look up at certain vantage points from within the Studios, you can see that the "sky" is really just a bunch of inter-connected high-def screens. And the Imagineers really outdid themselves with the simulated storms.

Do they run over the walkways only, or also over the buildings themselves? It seems that the seams of reality and high-def would be obvious, but maybe I just wasn't paying that close of attention.

Interesting none-the-less!

Tom

Beta Return
Do they run over the walkways only, or also over the buildings themselves? It seems that the seams of reality and high-def would be obvious, but maybe I just wasn't paying that close of attention.

Interesting none-the-less!

I think it's obvious that they're continuous over the entire park, including the buildings - specifically because of the point you addressed, regarding the "seams".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think it's obvious that they're continuous over the entire park, including the buildings - specifically because of the point you addressed, regarding the "seams".

Seeing as how you are in construction, how do they stay up? I mean what kind of support do they have to keep them elevated with no visible means of support?

Inquiring minds and all!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Seeing as how you are in construction, how do they stay up? I mean what kind of support do they have to keep them elevated with no visible means of support?

Inquiring minds and all!
They are supported by sky hooks. The ones used at WDW are the top of the line ones that must be installed using left handed screwdrivers.

Thrill Seeker

I've seen the entrance to the Epcot tunnels, but have never been down there. Actually, Entertainment costuming still resides in the tunnels. Not for regular CM use, but still, there is a form of costuming down there...

GenerationX

Guys, guys, guys, there's no need for sky hooks or polar opposite magnets. The utilidors are above the gravity line. They hang in perpetual suspension. And I love the way Disney positioned the mirrors on the roof of the utilidors to trick the Google Earth satellites into picking up the actual park underneath. Imagineering at its best!

Captain Hank

I've seen the entrance to the Epcot tunnels, but have never been down there. Actually, Entertainment costuming still resides in the tunnels. Not for regular CM use, but still, there is a form of costuming down there...
I've spent rather a large amount of time down there recently. They manage to be significantly more depressing than the Magic Kingdom tunnels. Rather an accomplishment, actually...

rock_doctor

Guys, guys, guys, there's no need for sky hooks or polar opposite magnets. The utilidors are above the gravity line. They hang in perpetual suspension. And I love the way Disney positioned the mirrors on the roof of the utilidors to trick the Google Earth satellites into picking up the actual park underneath. Imagineering at its best!
Ya know while i applaud you attention to detail but you just know there is some book author reading your post with the intentions of adding this little known detail to their behind the scenes tell all book about Disney world... Besides we all know that the top of the studios utilidors are painted white and not sky color. I know this because one day i was standing in line and some white stuff (i assume paint) fell from the sky and landed on my shoulder. It looked like paint but did have a different odor then what i would expect... :shrug:

Anyway thanks for this thread. It actually was very interesting. I plan to take the behind the magic tour next Christmas, thank goodness DVC members get a slight discount.

MKCP 1985

the main drag, circa 1985

picture.php

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom