UK Guest Purchasing Alcohol

DicksonGR

Original Poster
So I've been hearing rumours recently that they are making us UK'rs carry our passports around the parks because they are no longer accepting UK driving licences when purchasing alcoholic beverages. Anyone hear anything about this?

If it's true then this is ridiculous! I'm not going to risk the document I need to get back home getting lost, damaged or stolen just so I can have a beer! Have they stopped accepting US licences too and if not then why pick on the British ones?

Thoughts? ...

Ernierich

Unfortunately the days of me requiring ID for alcohol are long gone...I don't think there could be any confusion that i'm old enough to partake. I do agree with you though, I wouldn't take my passport around a park with me. It'd probably end up on the floor of Space Mountain along with a pedometer I lost in there a few years ago.

dave&di

I do believe that UK Passports are the only form of ID accepted, I don't drive so my Passport is my only form of ID anyway, another UK Disney forum have had this discussion many times, some say a photo copy of your passport is also acceptable, it may be worth a try. I would advice taking a photocopy with you anyway just incase you lose your passport, this may cut down the paperwork.

Ive only been asked once for ID when wanting a beer, I was 33 at the time!

Jo DeVil

I got Carded at the Rose and Crown, I was 28 (along time ago) I only had my UK Military ID as they had excepted it the night before, but the next night they wouldn't excepted it. Lucky for me My kid Sister was a serving wench there at the time so she vouched for me.
I would love to get carded now, but I think that boat has long sailed. If was likely to happen I would just carry the photocopies of our passports.

DicksonGR

Original Poster
I do believe that UK Passports are the only form of ID accepted, I don't drive so my Passport is my only form of ID anyway, another UK Disney forum have had this discussion many times, some say a photo copy of your passport is also acceptable, it may be worth a try. I would advice taking a photocopy with you anyway just incase you lose your passport, this may cut down the paperwork.

Ive only been asked once for ID when wanting a beer, I was 33 at the time!

I too am fortunate in that I look younger than the 28 that I am. The thing is though that my drivers licence has been fine to use in the past. Why the change?! Everywhere else off property accepts it.

Hot Lava

I guess it depends if you get a lazy CM, but I do not see how a photocopy would be acceptable. It is not a valid form of ID. It would be very easy to make a fake "ID" this way. If WDW is only accepting passports for people from outside the US, you would need to have the actual passport.

It sounds to me like it is kinda crappy, but perhaps WDW has had some issues with the Alcohol Control Board and violations. And also since CMs would be less familiar with foreign IDs (thus harder to spot a fake), WDW is probably just trying to mitigate their liability and potential for violations.

real mad hatter

Yes it's true..I got refused at La Cava last year and I was celebrating my 60th birthday party..They wouldn't sell me any drink because they couldn't understand one word I said..I asked the bar person for a Jalapeñoisis Margaritaias with plenty of iceiousis and a slice of limeiousis..He just shook his head and asked if had I.D. to prove my age and should i be out on my own without adult supervision.:rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

Yes it's true..I got refused at La Cava last year and I was celebrating my 60th birthday party..They wouldn't sell me any drink because they couldn't understand one word I said..I asked the bar person for a Jalapeñoisis Margaritaias with plenty of iceiousis and a slice of limeiousis..He just shook his head and asked if had I.D. to prove my age and should i be out on my own without adult supervision.:rolleyes:
Considering the circumstances, it does seem logical to want to see your ID if for no other reason then to tell security who they are looking for. :p

dave&di

I guess it depends if you get a lazy CM, but I do not see how a photocopy would be acceptable. It is not a valid form of ID. It would be very easy to make a fake "ID" this way. If WDW is only accepting passports for people from outside the US, you would need to have the actual passport.

It sounds to me like it is kinda crappy, but perhaps WDW has had some issues with the Alcohol Control Board and violations. And also since CMs would be less familiar with foreign IDs (thus harder to spot a fake), WDW is probably just trying to mitigate their liability and potential for violations.
I agree about the photocopy, as I said its been discussed on another forum and some posters have said they used photocopies successfully, others say they were declined. I don't see why they would be accepted as you say they could easily be faked. Lazy CM's is probably why this has happened!

Rob562

From what I can tell, it's Florida law.

I found two places that say these are the only forms of acceptable ID for alcohol purchases:
-Florida drivers' license
-Florida Personal Identification Card
-Out-of-state driver's license
-Active military ID card
-Passport

"Out-of-state" presumably just means a license from another state and not a foreign one, and Military ID would mean US Military.

-Rob

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In the USA, if a police officer asks you for ID and you have no proof of who you are, they can (and generally do) make your life a living hell.

Just be forewarned.

Goofyernmost

This is news to me. Had no problems using my driving license as ID back in September.
It's like everything else in Disney...it all depends on who you ask. If you look old enough and you have a foreign license that will be fine. If you don't look old enough to drink they are going to ask for ID and since they have no way of knowing what a foreign license should look like...they may not accept it as proof. Safest bet is to bring the old Passport with you. Pain in the buttocks for sure, but it is the price you pay for adult beverages.;)

The hassle for me is that being 65 and still looking like I'm 20 has resulted in my having to have multiple ID's, birth certificate (written on parchment), and the doctor that delivered me (he's getting pretty old and grumpy) to testify that I am indeed the age I claim to be. That's why I quit drinking. :oops:

Cosmic Commando

The hassle for me is that being 65 and still looking like I'm 20 has resulted in my having to have multiple ID's, birth certificate (written on parchment), and the doctor that delivered me (he's getting pretty old and grumpy) to testify that I am indeed the age I claim to be. That's why I quit drinking. :oops:

"When I delivered you into this world, I didn't think you'd be throwing your life away being a boozehound, Sonny!"

Must get old pretty fast.

pumpkin7

My husband has been using his for the past two weeks in Disney and in Universal.
We found it quite comical on a few occasions when the staff member/ cast member turned round and said, 'so, you're born on the 8th day of the 20th month?'. One CM had to show it to her supervisor as she just did not understand the DOB even after we explained it goes day/month/year, not month/day/year. Trololol.
But it's been accepted everywhere no problems.

DicksonGR

Original Poster
My husband has been using his for the past two weeks in Disney and in Universal.
We found it quite comical on a few occasions when the staff member/ cast member turned round and said, 'so, you're born on the 8th day of the 20th month?'. One CM had to show it to her supervisor as she just did not understand the DOB even after we explained it goes day/month/year, not month/day/year. Trololol.
But it's been accepted everywhere no problems.

Well this is encouraging! I have to really watch myself when arranging stuff in the US because of the weird American date format! :p *casts rod*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom