Ugh, O.K. So this REALLY grinds my gears!

AswaySuller

I am curious as to whether this could be considered a litigious situation. First let me say that I do not want this blown out of proportion and no, I do not plan on suing TDO nor do I advocate such a frivolous lawsuit. BUT, could WDW be held liable in any of this as false advertising?

Basically could family "X" who has saved for years to go to WDW and has seen these commercials for the parks go to the world, not see what was represented on the commercials currently running, find out that these things don't even exist at WDW and then blow things out of proportion enough to take TDO to court and win? Not so much can they sue...heck these days anyone can sue for anything but rather would there be enough on their side to win the case?[/quote
I would guess
I am curious as to whether this could be considered a litigious situation. First let me say that I do not want this blown out of proportion and no, I do not plan on suing TDO nor do I advocate such a frivolous lawsuit. BUT, could WDW be held liable in any of this as false advertising?

Basically could family "X" who has saved for years to go to WDW and has seen these commercials for the parks go to the world, not see what was represented on the commercials currently running, find out that these things don't even exist at WDW and then blow things out of proportion enough to take TDO to court and win? Not so much can they sue...heck these days anyone can sue for anything but rather would there be enough on their side to win the case?

I would guess that in the aired commercials they have small print which basically says "some footage may be of another park and attractions are subject to change/closures" to cover their back.

copcarguyp71

I have to admit I do not see any of these ads here in PA on our Dish Network system so I do not have the ability to reference the actual commercials. One would hope that text does exist but still curious if it does.

MissM

What's eve worse is here in Florida, they run commercials selling Florida Resident Annual Passes and they show Disneyland. They're like, "come visit all year long with your Florida Resident Annual Pass!" and it's the Teacups, Splash Mountain, Main Street (!!), and other Disneyland versions.
headbang.gif

That is kind of annoying. I always seem to see the add with One Republic, and I've no idea how they are almost like an unofficial Disney band at this point (just googled the and disney world and apparently they've done some events with them). As for the commercial originally brought up, a lot of car ads in the US do that, such as BMW ads that say they are showing the European model, which really makes no sense since it won't be sold here (at least I'm assuming we won't get some of the options they show).
Though as someone else said, the movie ads with scenes not in the movie are really annoying.

One republic was the band for the Test Track Media party. the big rumor was that it was One Direction and imagine all the shocked people when we stood infront of the stage and One Republic came out. Those of us who knew it wasn't One Direction (thank god) laughed at all the faces !!!

imagineer boy

Yeah, it is a little annoying but the average person is not going to know the difference and it's honestly not THAT misleading. It's not like they show footage from The indiana Jones ride and make it look like it's at WDW. That would be severely misleading.

Fantasmic

Original Poster
Totally off topic but check this out...

I went into the Disney store here in Bristol before I was going to LA and asked about Disneyland tickets, this is exactly how the conversation went.

Me: " Hi, do you sell Disneyland tickets here and If so how much are they?"
CM: "yeah, let me look..... "(Running her finger down a brochure) "Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Paris"
Me: "oh I'm sorry, no Disneyland.... Not disneyland Paris"
CM: "which one now?"
Me: "actual Disneyland!!!!!!"
CM: "oh in Florida.... Hang on"
Me: "no... The original one.... The one in California"
CM: "I'm not sure there is one in California!" Gets colleague "do you know If there's a Disneyland in California?"
CM2: "I've never heard of it if there is!"

Oh HELL no, I would have been soooooooo annoyed at that!

Yert3

Totally off topic but check this out...

I went into the Disney store here in Bristol before I was going to LA and asked about Disneyland tickets, this is exactly how the conversation went.

CM: "yeah, let me look..... "(Running her finger down a brochure) "Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Paris"
CM: "I'm not sure there is one in California!" Gets colleague "do you know If there's a Disneyland in California?"
And this is why I stopped going to the Disney Store. They don't really sell anything that good and their employees don't know anything. I say they should make new applicants take a Disney trivia test.

Fantasmic

Original Poster
And this is why I stopped going to the Disney Store. They don't really sell anything that good and their employees don't know anything. I say they should make new applicants take a Disney trivia test.

I heard, years ago, like 13 years ago that they don't like having Disney nuts work for them.
Although, I went into the Disney store in Blackpool today, and they had DUFFY! and I got a good set of nail polishes, and make up and a t-shirt in the sale which are pretty cool

Yert3

I heard, years ago, like 13 years ago that they don't like having Disney nuts work for them.
Although, I went into the Disney store in Blackpool today, and they had DUFFY! and I got a good set of nail polishes, and make up and a t-shirt in the sale which are pretty cool
Yes I will admit that I collect Disney plushes and they have pretty good coffee mugs there. But other than that, I have no reason to go there. I think the should have some really good collectibles there, like the stuff you could find in the main street stores. And also have a movie selection other than "Lady and the Tramp" and "The Muppets." Which are the only two movies my Disney store sells.

AswaySuller

I don't understand why you wouldn't want someone passionate and knowledgable about your company working for you but hey what do I know!

I hate that Nah-ta-zu commercial because it iz-a-zu

Yert3

I don't understand why you wouldn't want someone passionate and knowledgable about your company working for you but hey what do I know!

I hate that Nah-ta-zu commercial because it iz-a-zu
Do they even still run those? I haven't seen one in a while. :confused:

heatherkatheleen

I can't tell you how many times I cringed reading this conversation... o_O

FettFan

Ive never seen these. Every Disney vacation commercial I've seen has always featured WDW.

Except for the Carsland John Lasseter DCA ones. :p

juniorthomas

I don't know if it's the same in the US but WDW are currently running a series of commercials, using stock footage from Disneyland.
SO ANNOYING. I suppose the general public will never no the difference, but it REALLY bugs me! At least show the product you're advertising!

The general public...HAH. We're a leg up on all of them, aren't we?

scpergj

What's eve worse is here in Florida, they run commercials selling Florida Resident Annual Passes and they show Disneyland. They're like, "come visit all year long with your Florida Resident Annual Pass!" and it's the Teacups, Splash Mountain, Main Street (!!), and other Disneyland versions.
headbang.gif
Yeah, we've noticed those, too. My kids even comment on it and laugh at them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom