UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

CDavid

Do we actually know whether the reported sighting(s) at WDW originate from law enforcement and/or Disney itself, or if they are are unauthorized guests flying their expensive new toy. Seems like some people are assuming the former and the rest of us the latter.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having priced some LE drones and then what we could get from the DEA/Military for free, sounds like OCSO is getting one of these. These little things are in the 15 to 35K range depending on the video equipment on it. That being said, they may have had it out there showing some Disney execs what it could do with a ground station and video. Probably did it at night for the IR systems on it and had the crowd there trying to show safety and or how specific the IR stuff could be. As for whether people like it or not, get ready it is coming.

article-2119225-124C5AE3000005DC-454_634x405.jpg

And WHEN one of these crashes into a crowd someone is going to be maimed or killed as this looks like the nitromethane fueled one, Burns will be fun too from the burning nitromethane. Judging from the size of the muffler it's at least a 50CC engine ie SEVERAL HP.

SJFPKT

And WHEN one of these crashes into a crowd someone is going to be maimed or killed as this looks like the nitromethane fueled one, Burns will be fun too from the burning nitromethane. Judging from the size of the muffler it's at least a 50CC engine ie SEVERAL HP.

I have yet to figure out what they are going to do about that. I wonder if they will mandate some sort of deck and have a parachute attached to them that deploys if it goes below that. That is issues that are over my head though and I am just talking out of my head with a guess. I am sure they will come up with something to make it seem safer. I really wonder what the comparison is on military drone accidents v. military helicopters.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have yet to figure out what they are going to do about that. I wonder if they will mandate some sort of deck and have a parachute attached to them that deploys if it goes below that. That is issues that are over my head though and I am just talking out of my head with a guess. I am sure they will come up with something to make it seem safer. I really wonder what the comparison is on military drone accidents v. military helicopters.

Like the term 'seem safer', The big problem with drones going out of control is control feedback, In a piloted aircraft you can feel the forces acting on the controls, In a drone you cannot so its possible to fly into wind conditions which will knock drone out of control and since the operator has no sense for the conditions they just lose control for no apparent reason.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Like the term 'seem safer', The big problem with drones going out of control is control feedback, In a piloted aircraft you can feel the forces acting on the controls, In a drone you cannot so its possible to fly into wind conditions which will knock drone out of control and since the operator has no sense for the conditions they just lose control for no apparent reason.
Yes...but it SEEMED safe...so no malice was intended.

;)

Voxel

President of Progress City
Military drones actually have a very high success rating from what I am aware of. This could be due to the fact that there is no major loss of life during a crash (Avoiding the politic question of drone use to kill). The only major incident in recent years is the new Navy Drone taking out the deck of a destroyer a few month ago.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Military drones actually have a very high success rating from what I am aware of. This could be due to the fact that there is no major loss of life during a crash (Avoiding the politic question of drone use to kill). The only major incident in recent years is the new Navy Drone taking out the deck of a destroyer a few month ago.
That's a pretty spectacular failure..Imagine what it would have done to a crowd of people!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

And Classification is SO useful in making whoopsies go away... Unless they are public with no place to hide the failure.

Cesar R M

I think drones are a bad way of going about this. If Disney wanted to do security they are best pursuing the British system.
did the british way (aka cameras everywhere) even work?
everywhere I read about it.. is.. overexpensive.. and a failure(almost null success rate).
Mexico city feeling the same way after they decided to do the same...but then.. mexico is mexico.

That's a pretty spectacular failure..Imagine what it would have done to a crowd of people!

Are the drones by disney as big as military?
I did not know that disney drones requires to carry and be able to launch ATS(air to surface) missiles.

The drones for disney imho.. would be as big as those Amazon delivery drones.

I wouldn't assume this was Disney.

I also wouldn't assume that it got past security.
that reminded me of the meme:
"I'm not saying it was aliens.. BUT IT WAS ALIENS"
3GCvPpu.jpg

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
Do we actually know whether the reported sighting(s) at WDW originate from law enforcement and/or Disney itself, or if they are are unauthorized guests flying their expensive new toy. Seems like some people are assuming the former and the rest of us the latter.

I have no idea whether it was Disney / police sanctioned. If it weren't, why would it stop exactly over the train station/flower bed area versus going to more "interesting" areas? On the other hand, it flew somewhat erratically, and I have no reason to think it could not have been private.

Do most quadcopters have the lights on the bottom?

Voxel

President of Progress City
did the british way (aka cameras everywhere) even work?
everywhere I read about it.. is.. overexpensive.. and a failure(almost null success rate).
Mexico city feeling the same way after they decided to do the same...but then.. mexico is mexico.

Are the drones by disney as big as military?
I did not know that disney drones requires to carry and be able to launch ATS(air to surface) missiles.

The drones for disney imho.. would be as big as those Amazon delivery drones.

Depends on who you talk to. While the British way is expensive it proved extremely useful in situations like the London Riots. While very very few arrest were made during the riots about 2-3 month afters the British Government made close to 4000 arrest from the footage of the riots. A system like this is costly but automation and time will bring cost down.

Also Drone armies theme selves are very expensive. You either have to A) automate the entire process and just have men watching cameras (which automate drones tend to have more crashes and safety issues) or B) Train pilots to fly them remotely which statistically is terrible. The current turn over rate for drone pilots is extremely high in the government because of the boring same old/same old life. It is not the thrill of flying among other things. While this turn over may not transition to civilian drone use it is still something to consider.

flynnibus

Premium Member

They are lost more frequent then that.. including populated areas.

The biggest quandary with the military application is... they are no longer little drones. The newer aircraft are basically the same size as normal planes/helos. So it's not as much the army of the small... but rather the 'army of the remote'.

I figure the next super power just needs to build their army based on terrestrial tech and knock out GPS.. and watch the modern US armed forces go inert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom