UFO Sighting: Disney Drones

Glasgow

Interesting topic OP. Since this occurred at both MK and DL it seems unlikely to be a chance encounter by a non-Disney employee. Even so, if it was someone playing around, they wouldn't likely enter the park - they would remote control from somewhere close by (as previously mentioned) and probably be somewhere close to transportation for quick egress, such as the monorail platform or bus shelter - don't both of these have surveillance cameras? Hmm. Another consideration would be an out of sight landing area.

I have to think this is Disney or a contracted company performing due diligence for a new project.

PhotoDave219

Ok color me stupid. Not being snotty I actually want to know why they wouldn't use quads to film over guest areas? We use them where I work over guest areas (it's an arena and used for promo shots I'm not a creeper) why wouldn't Disney? Basically mock out shots cheaply prior to bringing in more expensive equipment?
I'm missing something I don't know what please help.

The person I discussed it with said it was a liability issue.

So Lawyers would be the answer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seems to be a lot of paranoid people here.
Sounds to me like the local Law Enforcement have a new toy. If this is the case, then I'm sure Disney gave them full permission to fly it.
Personally, I don't have a problem with this, if it is in fact Disney or Law Enforcement. However, I do have to wonder if Disney has thought about such devices being used by non authorized individuals. It could pose a huge threat to the security of their guests and the resort. All the more reason why Disney should own as much property around their parks as possible, just to prevent something like this. Although, I would venture to guess that most commercial devices like this on the market could be disabled via a simple signal jamming device.

Just waiting for one of those LE drones to kill or maim someone when they lose link or power. You don't fly these things over PEOPLE there is no magic 'skyhook' which holds them up when they fail. Even at a RC event the participants are not allowed to fly them over PEOPLE for this very reason.

PorterRedkey

The person I discussed it with said it was a liability issue.

So Lawyers would be the answer.

At the 4 minute mark in this video, they talk about the FAA's stance on quadcopter. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MNQvUVQdnNw#t=236
It should be tagged to start at that spot.

Also, notice the red and green lights on the bottom of the quadcopter /(drone)like the original poster described.
That has to be what it was. Well, that or aliens, ;)

sod4

Just waiting for one of those LE drones to kill or maim someone when they lose link or power. You don't fly these things over PEOPLE there is no magic 'skyhook' which holds them up when they fail. Even at a RC event the participants are not allowed to fly them over PEOPLE for this very reason.

Here's an example of one falling. I think the reason was a hardware installation error (board not oriented correctly), not link or power.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/26/drone-crashes-into-crowd-virginia_n_3816595.html

tissandtully

1K just to show up, Generally 2-8K per day up here depending on height and difficulty, A lot of that fee is simply insurance.

This is why I use the RC helicopter if I can't get a good view with a telescope If a mount/antenna/cable is damaged then you need to hire a climber to fix it and there is a lot more demand for climbers than there are climbers.

You mean the companies get that much, the actual climbers get paid crap.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You mean the companies get that much, the actual climbers get paid crap.

Guys I've worked with are all independent they will climb ANYTHING for a price. Some of them even string high tension wire while standing on the skid of a helicopter. These are not the kind of guys who work for a big corporation.

Next closest are the Irquois steelworkers who also have no fear and work for no one but themselves and their tribe.

tissandtully

The Phantom isn't that big. The octocopters however...

PhotoDave219

At the 4 minute mark in this video, they talk about the FAA's stance on quadcopter. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MNQvUVQdnNw#t=236
It should be tagged to start at that spot.

Also, notice the red and green lights on the bottom of the quadcopter /(drone)like the original poster described.
That has to be what it was. Well, that or aliens, ;)

I'm well aware of the FAA's view on using remote controlled aircraft for commercial use.

I'm also well aware of law enforcement's view. It's the "we can use it but you can't" view.

SJFPKT

Having priced some LE drones and then what we could get from the DEA/Military for free, sounds like OCSO is getting one of these. These little things are in the 15 to 35K range depending on the video equipment on it. That being said, they may have had it out there showing some Disney execs what it could do with a ground station and video. Probably did it at night for the IR systems on it and had the crowd there trying to show safety and or how specific the IR stuff could be. As for whether people like it or not, get ready it is coming.

article-2119225-124C5AE3000005DC-454_634x405.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom