Uber pick-up from resort

KrzyKtty

Actually it seems the largest danger with Uber is to the drivers themselves. My husband has a friend who is an Uber during his off hours. A few weeks back he was transporting a pair of drunk passengers home when they tried to beat him up rather than pay him. To bad the idiots didn't know he was a Kali martial arts master.

NelsonRD

Bad things happen everywhere. Uber is not some new venue for criminals to rob you.. no more than every other business you interact with on vacation. You act like Disney is some bubble of protection - they are not immune either, and when you hire 30,000+ people.. your standards are going to slide a bit as well.

Insurance FUD... Uber drivers are covered by Uber's insurance when on a call. https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

Certainly the idea of independent contractors is not to everyone's cup of tea... but the FUD about it is just that.. FUD.

My biggest issue with uber on property is knowing where the driver can pick you up when at the parks.. since access is so controlled.

And ironically the worst taxi experiences I've had... have been taxi's I've picked up at the parks. Guy not knowing where to make a drop off at Disney Springs... his credit card machine being 'broken'.. etc.

I never act as if Disney is in a protection bubble, in fact, my argument is quite the opposite, claiming to exercise caution when using such services because people are more vulnerable on vacation.

While the link tells a nice romantic story about insurance coverage, the reality of it is, collecting on such a policy is not as friendly as Uber makes it seem, and that is reality, not FUD. For example, if your Uber driver is distracted, (playing with the Uber app while driving), and causes an accident, and you are injured, the claim may be denied. The independent contractor business model that Uber is a technology company, and not a transportation company, creates a very gray area for its customers.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I never act as if Disney is in a protection bubble, in fact, my argument is quite the opposite, claiming to exercise caution when using such services because people are more vulnerable on vacation.

While the link tells a nice romantic story about insurance coverage, the reality of it is, collecting on such a policy is not as friendly as Uber makes it seem, and that is reality, not FUD. For example, if your Uber driver is distracted, (playing with the Uber app while driving), and causes an accident, and you are injured, the claim may be denied. The independent contractor business model that Uber is an app, and not a transportation company, creates a very gray area for its customers.

Are you saying that cabbies can't be independent contractors, or that they can't wreck and it be their fault, or that they don't play with their phones, or that their cars can't be in terrible shape?

For every 1 Uber/Lyft complaint there are probably 1,000 complaints about cab companies, cars, and drivers.

NelsonRD

Are you saying that cabbies can't be independent contractors, or that they can't wreck and it be their fault, or that they don't play with their phones, or that their cars can't be in terrible shape?

For every 1 Uber/Lyft complaint there are probably 1,000 complaints about cab companies, cars, and drivers.

What I am saying is there is more protection for consumers that use more regulated established methods of transportation.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Explain how it is not. Explain how Uber passengers have the same protection as a bus passenger. Because if a bus driver is negligent, and causes a crash, the victim can proceed legally against the parent company. If an Uber driver is negligent, and causes injury, Uber is not responsible.

Prove it.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You single out Uber.. because it was an alternative while not stressing the same concern when using the established methods (Disney, Mears, or Taxis). That's your bubble fallacy.

While the link tells a nice romantic story about insurance coverage, the reality of it is, collecting on such a policy is not as friendly as Uber makes it seem, and that is reality, not FUD. For example, if your Uber driver is distracted, (playing with the Uber app while driving), and causes an accident, and you are injured, the claim may be denied. The independent contractor business model that Uber is a technology company, and not a transportation company, creates a very gray area for its customers.

This just in... Insurance companies often try to deny claims! Resolution: Civil Suits... the same exact resolution when dealing with other insurance and companies.

Otterhead

YMMV with Uber. I tried using them twice on my most recent trip. On one occasion I asked them to pick me up at my resort (I was at the Treehouse Villas) and they told me I had to walk to the main lobby rather than pick me up near my villa. On the same trip I tried to get Ubers for my 8-person group and they refused to send multiple cars; the resort arranged a Mears shuttle, which took a half hour to arrive and didn't let everyone get on board.

righttrack

Explain how it is not. Explain how Uber passengers have the same protection as a bus passenger. Because if a bus driver is negligent, and causes a crash, the victim can proceed legally against the parent company. If an Uber driver is negligent, and causes injury, Uber is not responsible.

At the end of the day, the party with the deepest pockets, Uber, not the driver, will be sued and pay the most. You can bankrupt the driver, even the bus driver too, but it won't yield much. You sue Uber. They will pay. There's no way they could get out of the lawsuit. Your experience would be identical, IMO. You'd see what the insurance was going to give you for your injuries, etc. It would likely cover your hospital bills, etc. For lost income, pain and suffering, etc, you're going to have to sue. When you sue, it will be the same experience and you'll settle and get your money in 5-10 years.

Sans Souci

Back in September, I went to WDW with a small group of friends, staying at Kidani. Some of my friends decided to go drink around the monorail. They got a Mears van from the Polynesian on the way back, the driver turned off the meter and he charged them $26. Kind of shady. I think sketchy drivers are everywhere.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Back in September, I went to WDW with a small group of friends, staying at Kidani. Some of my friends decided to go drink around the monorail. They got a Mears van from the Polynesian on the way back, the driver turned off the meter and he charged them $26. Kind of shady. I think sketchy drivers are everywhere.

They paid about $6 more than they should have, unless that included the tip.

NelsonRD

You single out Uber.. because it was an alternative while not stressing the same concern when using the established methods (Disney, Mears, or Taxis). That's your bubble fallacy.

This just in... Insurance companies often try to deny claims! Resolution: Civil Suits... the same exact resolution when dealing with other insurance and companies.

Right, but if the Uber driver insurance does not pay out, and the driver has no money, what are you going to collect? Opposed to Mears, where you can go after the parent company, not just the driver.

NelsonRD

At the end of the day, the party with the deepest pockets, Uber, not the driver, will be sued and pay the most. You can bankrupt the driver, even the bus driver too, but it won't yield much. You sue Uber. They will pay. There's no way they could get out of the lawsuit. Your experience would be identical, IMO. You'd see what the insurance was going to give you for your injuries, etc. It would likely cover your hospital bills, etc. For lost income, pain and suffering, etc, you're going to have to sue. When you sue, it will be the same experience and you'll settle and get your money in 5-10 years.

You think Uber is going to pay? There are several documented cases of Uber not paying.

No wonder when I watch the news they interview people and they always say "How did this happen?"

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What are you, in the 3rd grade? Go ask a Lawyer.

I'll read that as an admission that you're clueless about the subject because if you could have proven it, you would have.

Right, but if the Uber driver insurance does not pay out, and the driver has no money, what are you going to collect? Opposed to Mears, where you can go after the parent company, not just the driver.

This is nothing more than pure ignorance. You can litigate against either company in either case.

You think Uber is going to pay? There are several documented cases of Uber not paying.

No wonder when I watch the news they interview people and they always say "How did this happen?"

Again, prove it. Where are these documented cases? Do you mean cases like this one?

NelsonRD

I'll read that as an admission that you're clueless about the subject because if you could have proven it, you would have.

This is nothing more than pure ignorance. You can litigate against either company in either case.

Again, prove it. Where are these documented cases? Do you mean cases like this one?

I already proved it, but your too confrontational to listen. Uber drivers are not employees of Uber. Second, Uber is not a transportation company, they are a technology company. Third, I am describing driver negligence, that results in injury, not a fender bender accident. In these cases, Uber is absolved of any liability, if the driver is found guilty of negligence. As @flynnibus pointed out, you can pursue the driver in a civil court, but you cannot get blood from a stone. Of course Uber is going to claim they background check drivers, and provide insurance, they might even have a bridge to sell you too. So my point stands, taking Uber presents a risk that other methods of transportation do not have. Period.

I guess I am just not hip, maybe Uber is a super hip, cool, company, and all the cars smell like puppy breath, are in perfect condition, and ride on rainbows. Maybe all the drivers are so nice, good looking, hold clearances, and only charge pennies. And, maybe if your injured, Uber will show up personally to present you with a 1M check for your troubles. Maybe, that is how you think it is.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I already proved it, but your too confrontational to listen. Uber drivers are not employees of Uber. Second, Uber is not a transportation company, they are a technology company. Third, I am describing driver negligence, that results in injury, not a fender bender accident. In these cases, Uber is absolved of any liability, if the driver is found guilty of negligence. As @flynnibus pointed out, you can pursue the driver in a civil court, but you cannot get blood from a stone. Of course Uber is going to claim they background check drivers, and provide insurance, they might even have a bridge to sell you too. So my point stands, taking Uber presents a risk that other methods of transportation do not have. Period.

I guess I am just not hip, maybe Uber is a super hip, cool, company, and all the cars smell like puppy breath, are in perfect condition, and ride on rainbows. Maybe all the drivers are so nice, good looking, hold clearances, and only charge pennies. And, maybe if your injured, Uber will show up personally to present you with a 1M check for your troubles. Maybe, that is how you think it is.

Just so you know, you've proven absolutely nothing except that you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone can say a bunch of words and claim those words are proof, just like you did. Those words however have no meaning without evidence which you haven't provided what-so-ever.

By the way, a very large population of hacks (also known as cabbies) are 1099 (independent contractors). They usually get paid in cash with no taxes withheld and have to pay self employment tax on their incomes every year. So using your own logic against you, who do you sue? Do you sue the the independent contractor hack driver or the cab company?

NelsonRD

Just so you know, you've proven absolutely nothing except that you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone can say a bunch of words and claim those words are proof, just like you did. Those words however have no meaning without evidence which you haven't provided what-so-ever.

By the way, a very large population of hacks (also known as cabbies) are 1099 (independent contractors). They usually get paid in cash with no taxes withheld and have to pay self employment tax on their incomes every year. So using your own logic against you, who do you sue? Do you sue the the independent contractor hack driver or the cab company?

Cabs is a transportation company, not a technology company who made an app. That is the gray area, or are those just words?
I have provided many facts about the differences of Uber, which is the proof. You want to read about this case by case, go ahead, and you might discover your own ignorance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom