Typhoon Lagoon Surf Lessons -- Help!!

lagoon lover

Original Poster
I am looking into the Surf Lessons at Typhoon Lagoon. Since I have never done them before (or even set foot on a surfboard), I was hoping that someone could tell me about it, ie; how difficult it was and was it worth it. Also, could somebody tell me how much this thing costs? I can't find it anywhere on Disney's site! Thanks.

Doug

M:SpilotISTC12

I have never gotten lessons. I live a block away from the ocean but surfing is hard. I have no clue how much it is. Looks it up in the passporter. Standing up on the board is the hardest part everything else is easy

WDWKat26

One thing they emphasize is being a strong swimmer. If you've been to T.L. then you'll know that the waves can be pretty powerful especially to someone who isn't a strong swimmer.

Centrifugeer

It's actually a pretty good way to learn to surf. It's much easier than attempting to learn on your own by kooking around in the ocean like I did. I've surfed it a couple of times (been surfing for over 30 years) and the waves are relatively powerful, but not nearly as powerful as what an equivalently sized ocean wave can be. Plus there are lifeguards/trainers watching should anyone get in trouble.

If you do it, it WILL freak you out the very first time you're sitting in front of that concrete wall, hear the huge flushing sound, and see a mountain of water coming at you. It's a surreal experience even for seasoned surfers. You'll adapt quickly though. After the initial drop-in the wave reduces in size rather quickly and wipeouts are gentle and nothing near the washing machine type action you can get in the ocean.

One noticeable difference (at least to me) between TL and ocean surfing is the salt water vs. fresh water. Fresh water doesn't provide quite the bouyancy that salt water provides so your board doesn't sit as high in the water.

I'd also recommend you use a longboard instead of a shortboard initially. It's easier to stand up on and will help your confidence along. If you catch on quickly you can move to a shortboard later.

I'm not sure of the cost. I paid @ $120 to surf it each time with about 15 other people. We got around 25 waves each and the wave machine was ours for around 3 hours. I don't know how long the lessons last.

Good luck and have fun.

imamouse

I am planing to take my 2 teen-age sons for a surfing lesson during our next trip, but when I called to book a ressie, they said we had to be there @ 6:45 AM. :eek: I'm concerned about how cold it will be at that hour in mid-Dec. Does anyone know if they provide wet suits?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom