Two News Stories from The Orlando Sentinel

ddrongowski

Sounds to me like the cruise ship thing is taking over the land. You will eat at this place at this time, You will go to this room at this time, You will go to the pool at this time, You will go to the bathroom at this time, You will sit in this seat at this time, You will not question us because we control you and what and when you will do it.

No thanks.

Disaddict

I would actually like being able to book some rides 180 days out. I know what parks we will be at in the mornings for at least the first 5 days of our trips. I could ADR the rides that we want right away for the first thing in the mornings and then just relax and walk around the rest of the day. Sorry if everyone thinks that is too rigid but you're not on vacation with us so you don't know that it is really a loose and relaxing trip. We always, always hit the parks in the morning and get through the big rides (ToT, Splash Mtn, Space Mtn, etc...) first. Then we relax and walk around shopping or whatever for the rest of the day. It would be nice to have a fast pass right away for those rides before we arrive that morning so we wouldn't see a line.

I keep seeing comments like "Well I won't go if Disney does this because I can't plan like that." "If Disney does this then they'll lose my business." Fine. Don't go. Like I've said about the Pandora Land haters, if you don't like it, don't go. That will make more room for us. ;)

Oh, and I love the extreme thinking that is used on this subject. "If I don't use this I'll have to wait hours for the ride!". Nice. How does anyone know what this system would even be like? That's right. No one does. The best anyone can do at this point is "Jim Hill" it. And all that does is start fights.

JulieBarlow

One thing I find interesting about this system if it happens as people are speculating is that if it is available to resort guests and if you make reservations, fastpasses, etc. online then would that suggest possibly installing wi-fi throughout the resorts so that guests can access the system? That is one improvement I would love to see. A lot of off-site hotels already offer free wi-fi to guests so maybe Disney is considering doing the same, they were trialling it at some hotels earlier in the year.

njDizFan

Sounds to me like the cruise ship thing is taking over the land. You will eat at this place at this time, You will go to this room at this time, You will go to the pool at this time, You will go to the bathroom at this time, You will sit in this seat at this time, You will not question us because we control you and what and when you will do it.

No thanks.
That is the exact idea. The cruise ship model is a sure way to keep everyone at hostage and ensure the maximum turnover. I wrote a blog about this

http://www.fixthemagic.com/blog/ (The Cockerell effect)

***blatant plug***

NoChesterHester

One thing I find interesting about this system if it happens as people are speculating is that if it is available to resort guests and if you make reservations, fastpasses, etc. online then would that suggest possibly installing wi-fi throughout the resorts so that guests can access the system? That is one improvement I would love to see. A lot of off-site hotels already offer free wi-fi to guests so maybe Disney is considering doing the same, they were trialling it at some hotels earlier in the year.

Betamouse did a great podcast on that very topic. Basically Disney is not only looking into it, they have done white a bit of research on how to make it viable. The biggest issue at a place like WDW is the sheer volume. 45,000 users takes a lot of bandwidth.

I still believe a resort wide wifi network is in the works.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
If it means that we can actually relax, I'm all for booking rides in advance. It's supposed to be a vacation but we have to get up at the crack of dawn and beat it to the parks to get in line for the big rides. I would love to be able to kick back, enjoy a leisurely breakfast and arrive at the parks mid to late morning.

the-reason14

I guess I shouldn't initially think of this as a bad thing, but I honestly can't help it. I think it would be nice to have X amount of fastpasses for all my favs on certain days, it'll certainly relieve some stress. However and as crazy as it may sound, I kind of like having to 'fight' for my fastpass. The thought of having to plan out everything I think also can be stressful. I like to be spontaneous, and even though I may plan to be at a certain park on a certain day, sometimes I like to flip the script. Speculation in full force, but what do I do with all teh fastpasses I reserved for mgm when I changed my mind and decided to go to the MK that day. Surely they shouldn't be given away, I don't give away fastpasses.

Disaddict

Betamouse did a great podcast on that very topic. Basically Disney is not only looking into it, they have done white a bit of research on how to make it viable. The biggest issue at a place like WDW is the sheer volume. 45,000 users takes a lot of bandwidth.

I still believe a resort wide wifi network is in the works.

I say they get 10 DS-3s for each park and another 4 DS-3s for each resort section (EPCOT resorts, AK Resorts, etc....) and then set up access points all over the place. LOL

spaceghost

Ok, 1 AM rant time. I'm coming out of lurk mode because it gets tiring to read through so much negativity about something that we know next to nothing about. I just don't understand it (just like I don't understand the negativity towards "Avatarland").

If you don't want to plan ride reservations ahead of time, then don't do it! Ride capacity is a set amount (that can flucuate based on operational decisions, i.e. adding more logs to Splash Mountain, etc.). Letting people book ahead of time will not change that. The same number of people that can ride a ride per hour will be the same as it is now! What will change (potentially) is the ratio of fastpass to stand by use. If the ratio of standby to fastpass is 70/30 now, maybe the ratio of standby/pre-schedule FP/regular FP will be 50/30/20, or something like that (note all numbers totally hypothetical). People will still be able to get fastpasses in the park. People will still be able to go standby if they want to. I am fairly certain that whatever we think of Disney management, that they are not stupid enough to implement a system that will double standby waits or cause FPs to be gone within an hour of park opening. Nor will they create a system requiring everybody to pre-register for rides as that would alienate their local fanbase AND create a barrier to entry for all those casual visitors who already get overwhelmed planning their trips.

What this will do is provide a value added benefit to the people that do want to plan and make use of it. I do not understand why this is a bad thing. In return Disney gets potentially more satisfied guests who can ride more rides, more use of FP (meaning more free time for people to spend money), plus advanced metrics that will help them allocate resources ahead of time. I find the thought that people would completely stop going to WDW if there was an option to prebook ride fastpasses completely irrational. I just don't get it.

JustInTime

What people don't get is that the pre-planned fastpasses would be optional. And I honestly think if done right, it could be cool. If this stops people from going to Disney World (such a small detail) then that is one less family who have no clue how to drive their big *** strollers in my way.

captainkidd

What people don't get is that the pre-planned fastpasses would be optional. And I honestly think if done right, it could be cool. If this stops people from going to Disney World (such a small detail) then that is one less family who have no clue how to drive their big *** strollers in my way.

Yeah, because people with strollers have no place in WDW.:rolleyes:

What I think people are saying is if it's done and it's anything like the ADR system, then forget it. If getting to ride Space Mountain works out like getting a walk-up seating to Ohana, yes, it will suck.

spaceghost

What I think people are saying is if it's done and it's anything like the ADR system, then forget it. If getting to ride Space Mountain works out like getting a walk-up seating to Ohana, yes, it will suck.

I think that is an unrealistic expectation. The logistics of scheduling a limited capacity venue, like a restaurant, and attractions that can handle (in most cases) 1000s of people an hour are radically different. Will this have some impact on standby wait times? Probably. Will it be drastically negative? Probably not.

NoChesterHester

I think that is an unrealistic expectation. The logistics of scheduling a limited capacity venue, like a restaurant, and attractions that can handle (in most cases) 1000s of people an hour are radically different. Will this have some impact on standby wait times? Probably. Will it be drastically negative? Probably not.

Well stated. Let's say for argument's sake that Test Track handles 2000 riders per hour. In a 10 hour operational day that is 20,000 riders. If fastpasses are based on 25% of capacity that means 5,000 are available. No matter what no more then 20,000 people can ride Test Track per day. There are only so many people visiting Epcot in any one given day.

If you assume that Disney's computers spread out the fastpass distribution over the course of the day then fast pass effects the standby time between 2.5-3 percent.

JustInTime

Yeah, because people with strollers have no place in WDW.:rolleyes:

No, but strollers big enough for me and my mother to sit in don't. And if your kid can walk, let them.

And people may be saying that it would be set up like ADRS but it won't. That is just absurd speculation. Could you imagine the PR nightmare if a family travels around the world only to find they can't ride anything because they didn't make reservations? Yeah, not gonna happen. If people believe that, then they are thick. Attendance would go down and everyone would be ed. I am sure you will get an amount of fastpasses prior that you can input based on your dinning reservation or where you are planning on being at that time. And it will be optional. It won't impact any guests because it would work like the current fastpass system (there are two lines if you haven't seen). So people need to breathe and stop drawing extreme conclusions that aren't going to happen. I think this could be an added bonus. And as I said, if it causes people not to go, more walking room for me.

Carolwood

Bring back the days when you could walk up to a video kiosk and make same day dining reservations. I for one have changed my Disney Dining experiences, drastically the past few visits, eating off site much more frequently. Having to plan where I want eat months ahead of time is just not fun. A vacation should be fun & leisurely, much to often you see family's running around the parks armed with guide maps and schedules trying to see and do everything with almost military precision. Look at "Fast Pass" people rushing in the morning to get there before they run out, people re-selling them online, is this really an improvement? The day I have to start scheduling my ride times months in advance will be the end of my Disney trips.

Figments Friend

As a society, we have completely lost or forgotten the concept of patience - it just doesn't exist anymore. We have to be engaged in something at all times. Next time you are in a line, instead of looking down at your phone, take a look around at your fellow line companions .. it's actually pretty funny. Or if you're waiting at the airport bar or something like that - it's almost impossible to strike up a conversation! lol .. sad really

Thank you for this!

I think people need to look at 'waiting' from a more positive perspective. Society in general is moving in a breakneck-speed direction now where waiting more then 2 minutes for something is considered 'too long'. In those two minutes, perhaps it would not be so bad if they looked around at the scenery or the people around them. I have had some great conversations with other Park-goers just doing this based on a pin they may be wearing or a t-shirt design.

The key is to visit the rides and resturants you want to experience at times when the rest of society is not. Non-peak times for dining ( 12 to 2 for Lunch, early or later Dinner..not 5/6/PM!)...and earlier or later times for riding the E-tickets. It is possible even during peak Summer seasons...you just have to motivate yourself and those that are with you.

A word of caution though...you will have a much better experience if you do NOT 'Commando Tour'...that is, try to 'do it all' is too short a time span. Always take breaks and relax a little...dang it, you are supposed to be on VACATION, not boot camp!

:lol:

Condorman

I never understood the complaint by people who don't like the idea of reserving FPs from home in advance of their vacation. The idea is a godsend.

If you want to be spontaneous, and just go to any ride at any time you want, that option always will be available to you. It's called the stand-by line. If you prefer to wait 60-120 minutes rather than walking on with an FP, on behalf of everyone who knows, uses and loves the FP system, be our guest. Please stand off to the side, get out of our way, waste your clearly valueless time, and make our vacations easier and happier. Thank you. That's so nice of you. :wave:

captainkidd

I never understood the complaint by people who don't like the idea of reserving FPs from home in advance of their vacation. The idea is a godsend.

If you want to be spontaneous, and just go to any ride at any time you want, that option always will be available to you. It's called the stand-by line. If you prefer to wait 60-120 minutes rather than walking on with an FP, on behalf of everyone who knows, uses and loves the FP system, be our guest. Please stand off to the side, get out of our way, waste your clearly valueless time, and make our vacations easier and happier. Thank you. That's so nice of you. :wave:

You left off option 2:

Plan your park days around your dining if you must. Go to the planned park for the day, and use fastpass where you need to, and don't use it where you don't. Leave some days completely unplanned and hit whatever park bus comes first.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Hey Condomman...do you know how to post without being inflammatory? Please post in the sidebar and leave the forums to those who know how to behave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom