Two News Stories from The Orlando Sentinel

RSoxNo1

I think that is an unrealistic expectation. The logistics of scheduling a limited capacity venue, like a restaurant, and attractions that can handle (in most cases) 1000s of people an hour are radically different. Will this have some impact on standby wait times? Probably. Will it be drastically negative? Probably not.

Well stated. Let's say for argument's sake that Test Track handles 2000 riders per hour. In a 10 hour operational day that is 20,000 riders. If fastpasses are based on 25% of capacity that means 5,000 are available. No matter what no more then 20,000 people can ride Test Track per day. There are only so many people visiting Epcot in any one given day.

If you assume that Disney's computers spread out the fastpass distribution over the course of the day then fast pass effects the standby time between 2.5-3 percent.

The "scheduling" of xPass would likely eat into or replace the current Fastpass system. Using your Test Track example (the numbers are less than 2000 per hour, but that's irrelevant for the purposes of this), my understanding of the FP system is that Disney distributes 6% of the rides Hourly Capacity in FP tickets for every 5 minute interval available. For some attractions not all of the 6% are distributed before the time is bumped up.

If the 6% # is correct than it means that as you get deeper into the day, the percentage of guests that can ride the attraction using fastpass will continue to approach 72% (6% x 12 - the # of 5 minute intervals) of guests riding the attraction will ride using the Fastpass system. I've always heard this 6% #, and it's always seemed high to me - I don't know if it's correct for sure, but again, I'll assume that it is for this explanation.

If xPass replaces Fastpass and also enforces the end time, the 72% number will be harder to reach, and as such it will actually improve standby times.

If xPass is used in conjunction with Fastpass, I would expect some system where the xPasses will replace a percentage of Fastpasses, either as a fixed percentage or as part of a scheduling procedure. For example:
  • xPass would allow guests to schedule 1 attraction every 2 hours. They would pick the times for these attractions and the 1 hour window
  • For the Test Track example above, each 5 minute interval would have 120 xPasses or Fastpasses available
  • If you want to Schedule Test Track for 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM using xPass, you would get one of these 120 passes meaning that those people in the park would only have 119 Fastpasses left

The other combination option would be switching to 3% Fastpass and 3% xPass (or 4 and 2, again, this is simplified for explaining purposes).
  • This could be somewhat more favorable simply because it stops the % of scheduled xPasses all while making a limited number of Fastpasses also available.

All in all, this could work, but there are a few other things to consider.
  • Enforcing the end times will improve Standby times
  • Will this change touring patterns - Guests won't ride an attraction if the wait time exceeds a certain time. Previously they could "spontenously get a Fastpass" to solve this issue - xPass might not cater to this.
  • How will the end times be enforced in the event of a ride closure?

WDWGoof07

I never understood the complaint by people who don't like the idea of reserving FPs from home in advance of their vacation. The idea is a godsend.

If you want to be spontaneous, and just go to any ride at any time you want, that option always will be available to you. It's called the stand-by line. If you prefer to wait 60-120 minutes rather than walking on with an FP, on behalf of everyone who knows, uses and loves the FP system, be our guest. Please stand off to the side, get out of our way, waste your clearly valueless time, and make our vacations easier and happier. Thank you. That's so nice of you. :wave:
There's plenty of pre-planning options available if you like having everything planned out commando style before your trip. I take advantage of ADRs myself, but that's the extent of planning I like to do for my vacation. As far as attractions go, I prefer spontaneity. Having to follow a schedule would feel like work to me, not vacation. If you want to do WDW that way, that's fine, but I don't think every guest should be forced into that type of touring style.

captainkidd

Hey Condomman...do you know how to post without being inflammatory? Please post in the sidebar and leave the forums to those who know how to behave.

I honestly think some people don't. It's as if they're compensating for something that's not right in the real world.

Condorman

Hey Condorman...do you know how to post without being inflammatory? Please post in the sidebar and leave the forums to those who know how to behave.

I honestly think some people don't. It's as if they're compensating for something that's not right in the real world.

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make the answer incorrect. ;)

And instead of whining about my post, why don't you make a sound and intelligent argument defending why ADRs, potential FPRs, and all other pre-arrival reservations are a complete and utter bane on a WDW vacation? Most people plan and prepare for their trips months in advance anyway. Just because you don't, doesn't mean others don't. And if you don't, you're in the minority. It's the #1 tourist destination on Planet Earth. What hubris and presumptuousness you or anyone else must have to just assume you could show up and walk into any TS restaurant or any attraction at any time you want and that they'll just happen to have a table or a ride vehicle all ready to go just for you.

Who do you think you are? Where do you think you are? Get over yourself. This is the way Disney is headed and I applaud them for it. It's not just a good way to go, it's the correct way. It's not a matter of opinion. It's about time. And if you don't like it, as I said, wait for 120 minutes in the stand-by queue. Eat at counter service. Stay at Fort Wilderness or off-site at a Motel 6. Those options are ripe for people such as yourselves.

captainkidd

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make the answer incorrect. ;)

And instead of whining about my post, why don't you make a sound and intelligent argument defending why ADRs, potential FPRs, and all other pre-arrival reservations are a complete and utter bane on a WDW vacation? Most people plan and prepare for their trips months in advance anyway. Just because you don't, doesn't mean others don't. And if you don't, you're in the minority. It's the #1 tourist destination on Planet Earth. What hubris and presumptuousness you or anyone else must have to just assume you could show up and walk into any TS restaurant or any attraction at any time you want and that they'll just happen to have a table or a ride vehicle all ready to go just for you.

Who do you think you are? Where do you think you are? Get over yourself. This is the way Disney is headed and I applaud them for it. It's not just a good way to go, it's the correct way. It's not a matter of opinion. It's about time. And if you don't like it, as I said, wait for 120 minutes in the stand-by queue. Eat at counter service. Stay at Fort Wilderness or off-site at a Motel 6. Those options are ripe for people such as yourselves.

I never said your answer was incorrect. I just happen to agree, that you seem incapable of posting without being rude.

For what it's worth, I probably do more planning on my trips than 90% of the people on this board. That being said, with kids in tow, you have to allow room for spontaneity. And the simple fact is, Disney is making this harder and harder to accomplish. You want an argument for why this is a bad idea? Look at how many ADR's that are made that people no-show for, and look at the amount of people that get shut out of a dining experience because of those no show ADR's. How is that good for the guest or Disney?

This isn't Disney trying to make the guest experience better. This is Disney trying to figure out how to compete with Universal's on-site ride system for guests. As Disney's resort occupancy level continues to dip and Universal's continues to rise, they know they have to do something.

People like "ourselves"? I can't speak for anyone else, but my signature will tell you where I stay, and it ain't at any Motel 6.

EVERYTHING is a matter of opinion. If you think otherwise, you're not going to have too many successful conversations on any message board.

bgraham34

Advanced ride time reservations is not the answer. I for one hate the idea and will make trip planning and enjoyment of your trip less fun. I am not looking forward to booking my dining reservations around park schedules and then ride schedules. If you want to control the crowds add more attractions.

Mickey is King

I hope this doesn't turn into a slick way for a money grab for the mouse.....

I wish they would just do it similar to what UNI does or used to do.

On-site Resort guests/ DVC/ annual passes - your ticket/card is your fast pass. you get four per park, per person, per day........ have fun.

If you need more than four you are free to get more at a FP machine.

RSoxNo1

If you want to control the crowds add more attractions.

Yes, this is far and away the easiest way to absorb the crowds. Right now, if you want to get on Toy Story Mania twice at DHS, you need to plan your entire day around it. You need to be at the park at opening to either get a Fastpass, get in line or both.

Toy Story and Soarin' still require 15-20 minute waits even with Fastpass - part of this is an issue with the merge point, the other part is that every Fastpass will be distributed for those two attractions no matter what, the capacity is low, and everyone that can go on them, wants to go on them.

In DHS, the issue is magnified because the other high demand attractions are also thrill rides that limit the demand. All of these thrill rides also have 50-100% more capacity than Toy Story Mania.

At Epcot, there are enough other attractions to help with Soarin', but there are really only two attractions in that park that need Fastpass, and Test Track is more intimidating to people than Soarin'.

I don't want to sound like the ungrateful fanboy on the heels of the Avatar announcement and the soon to open Fantaslyand expansion, but DHS and Epcot need high demand additions to balance out the Fastpass issues.

In Epcot, it's possible that this is partially resolved after the Test Track refurbishment. In DHS, the answer seems less logical. Star Tours didn't help the Toy Story Fastpass situation. I believe what's needed is a family friendly attraction with a capacity in the 1200-1500 range that would help balance out the Fastpass demand. If the ride capacity is too high, the need for Fastpass would be offset by shorter standby lines.

I don't think the Monster's Inc Coaster is the right move - I think Ride and Go Seek would be a better option. It uses the same ride system as Toy Story Mania so the capacity should be identical.

Another thing I would like to see is a reconfiguration of the Toy Story Mania load/unload area, and if possible, vehicles with self closing doors. These are all things that can help at load/unload and improve the ride's capacity.

tizzo

The possibility of knowing what ride that I want to ride 180 days in advance was not a foreign concept to me before I moved to FL and visited WDW for vacations.

Based on some of what I've been hearing most recently, this may not be a problem. I just listened to an episode of Betamouse Podcast that discussed some material that they discovered somewhere or other on NextGen, and the sense I got was that you would answer some questions about the makeup of your party and some preferences, and the system would choose a handful of fastpasses and times for you. It didn't seem to me like you were going to get to choose times or attractions when you book. Which actually answers some of the "how are they going to make that work" type questions.

fillerup

From 10/2 Sentinel, Beth Kassab, business columnist, "Daily Disney".

Her first three paragraphs and the six items she writes about:

My top predictions for Disney's next decade

"Walt Disney World just turned 40 and like any aging business, its greatest challenge is keeping itself fresh while still nurturing its nostalgic appeal.

We probably won't see another traditional theme park built at the resort that is Central Florida's largest employer, but there are plenty of other ways Disney is preparing to define its next decade.

Here are my top predictions for how Disney's business will continue to evolve before it's 50:"

More princess mania

Get on the bus

Cruises and time shares

Next Gen win?

Full Article

RSoxNo1

I think that's a given.

Say what you want about the movie, but we know so little about Pandora coming to the parks other than that James Cameron will have creative control. We haven't seen concept art, we don't know the attraction lineup, we don't even know where in the Animal Kingdom it's going to go.

I understand you're trying to be a typical internet fan boy with a one off comment, but I really don't get it.

jt04

Say what you want about the movie, but we know so little about Pandora coming to the parks other than that James Cameron will have creative control. We haven't seen concept art, we don't know the attraction lineup, we don't even know where in the Animal Kingdom it's going to go.

I understand you're trying to be a typical internet fan boy with a one off comment, but I really don't get it.

It is the same mentality of those that claimed the American Idol Experience would shut down within 6 months of opening. Probably the same posters too :lol:

And when they are proven wrong it won't change their mindset at all. :rolleyes:

Condorman

Look at how many ADR's that are made that people no-show for, and look at the amount of people that get shut out of a dining experience because of those no show ADR's.

That doesn't make any sense. If people no-show for an ADR, then anyone else wanting to be spontaneous and just walk-up to that very restaurant should have no trouble getting the very table that was given up.

As for Avatar, DAK still sees 50% more people (this last year alone) than IoA did with the WWoHP. Throw Avatar into the mix by 2018, and DAK will at least increase its attendance by another 25-30%. You know WDI will do an amazing job with it, even if the Avatar universe isn't as diversified as Star Wars, or as sensible as a South America, Australia or Beastly Kingdom might have been.

With the new FL, and now Avatar, Disney has to put more technology into place to handle the crowds for dining, attractions, resorts, etc. Advanced FPs are the only logical way to go. Like ADRs, if you don't want to make them you don't have to, but don't complain when you don't get what you want. Disney gave you every opportunity to craft your vacation your way. You do spontaneous at the mall. At the world's #1 tourist destination, you plan ahead. That's all.

rioriz

It is the same mentality of those that claimed the American Idol Experience would shut down within 6 months of opening. Probably the same posters too :lol:

And when they are proven wrong it won't change their mindset at all. :rolleyes:

I will say, having just done AIE this past month for the first time I greatly enjoyed the experience and am glad it has a place in DHS!

captainkidd

Yeah, that's me - An internet fan boy.:lol:

I hope I'm wrong about the Avatar deal. I didn't dislike the movie. It was OK. But there are far more marketable entities out there they could have gone with. Sadly, I think they'd have done better to court Michael Bay and go after Transformers, and I hate those movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom