TWDC Earnings

WDWDad13

MM+ did not increase MK daily ride capacity at all.

Just curious...how would MM+ increase "ride capacity"?

It's not like this would allow them to add more vehicles on a ride track or help them load faster. A line is a line is a line queued up to get into or on an attraction regardless of the standby, FP, or single rider line.

Am I missing something here? Not trying to start an argument

ParentsOf4

It's not like this would allow them to add more vehicles on a ride track or help them load faster. A line is a line is a line queued up to get into or on an attraction regardless of the standby, FP, or single rider line.

Am I missing something here? Not trying to start an argument
We're commenting on Iger's quote from the earnings call:

"Our parks people in Walt Disney World believe during the peak holiday season that we were able to accommodate about 3,000 more additional guests in the Magic Kingdom per day thanks to MyMagic+."

omurice

I'm trying to do math but... what? Where are they fitting 3K additional guests. Are they new guests, resort visitors, repeat visitors? How did MM+, in concept or practice, provide the increase? New areas like TLM or BoG or Rapunzel bathrooms can for a time hold some warm bodies, and if that's the case, how did MM+ facilitate that? With BoG FP (restaurant would have filled anyway), or TLM FP (ride would attract basically same number of guests way - were more people enticed there by FP?). Bathrooms will see all guests at some point.
MM+ can only shuffle people around the park. So are they saying, by doling out FP+, more people in 2013 than in 2012 were riding attractions that did not have legacy FP like Pirates, HM and the Tea Cups? Okay I suppose that may be happening. HM routinely had waits of 30 to 45 mins in early January, which seemed high. But the waits at Pirates and Tea Cups did not seem far in excess of the past.

However, my first guess is something simpler like a Free Dining offer or hotel discount does more to provide extra guests, and not MM+ in itself! MM+ by itself was making 3K more guests per day fly into MCO?

Sorry but if only that vague statement had some I dunno... evidence or explanation of what comprises "3,000 more guests". I'm flabbergasted...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry but if only that vague statement had some I dunno... evidence or explanation of what comprises "3,000 more guests". I'm flabbergasted...

Well it depends on how you interpret his statement...

When he says 'accommodate 3000 more guests' - that could be interpreted to simply mean
'3000 more got in..'
or it could be 'we were able to raise our limit 3000' and it infers prior those people would have been shutout otherwise (aka we were able to raise our capacity)

what is the limit in the park is a complicated theory based on where people are, what they are doing, what spaces and attractions are open to guests, etc.

If people were willing to wait in more lines... in theory you can increase your capacity because people are being 'soaked up' and contained in the attractions.

Personally.. without a real back and forth to explain his statement... it's not really worth spending a lot of time on IMO.

What their max capacity is is probably a soft number anyways. I doubt they live on the ragged edge with the fire marshal.

DisneyGentleman

Let's use a Disney fairy tale example:

Prince Charming went searching for his true love with the glass slipper that only fit Cinderella. But if Prince Charming had used FP+, the slipper would not only fit Cinderella but also each of her two stepsisters. Prince Charming would have three times as many chances to find his true love. On the other hand, if capacity were the issue, Prince Charming and each of his two Charming brothers would each end up with who they thought was their true love.

Of course we won't talk about how undesirable the other two sisters may be, because this fairy tale is only concerned with capacity and not quality.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

We're commenting on Iger's quote from the earnings call:

"Our parks people in Walt Disney World believe during the peak holiday season that we were able to accommodate about 3,000 more additional guests in the Magic Kingdom per day thanks to MyMagic+."

Ah ok...yeah I didn't understand that one either unless they mean more people standing in lines at guest relations than before haha

Don't get me wrong I like MM+

ParentsOf4

Well it depends on how you interpret his statement....
I'll provide a fuller quote from Iger to give it some context:

"Our parks people in Walt Disney World believe during the peak holiday season that we were able to accommodate about 3,000 more additional guests in the Magic Kingdom per day thanks to MyMagic+.

"One of the, I think, most attractive features and one that I think will have possibly the biggest benefit is the FastPass+, which is the ability to reserve 3 times on 3 attractions per day, either before you visited the park if you are a resort guest, or the day you enter the park if you are a same day or a single day ticket holder.

"What we are seeing there is substantially higher utilization of that product among our guests than we saw with the traditional FASTPASS."​

When Iger's talking about Magic Kingdom capacity, it's in the context of FP+ vs. FP.

What we all understand is that as ride capacity is allocated increasingly to FP+, less is available through traditional lines.

POTC and HM cannot accommodate any more guests than it the past but, now, more are using FP+ since neither attraction had FP.

In Iger's mind, MK capacity is up.

Repeating myself, is it any wonder WDW is such a mess?

drew81

Ok kids - who's going?

Q: Where and when will the 2014 Annual Meeting of Shareholders be held?
A: The Board of Directors of The Walt Disney Company has set the date and location of the Company's 2014 annual meeting of shareholders. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 18, 2014, at 10 a.m. at The Keller Auditorium at The Portland Center for the Performing Arts in Portland, Oregon.
The Keller Auditorium
The Portland Center for the Performing Arts
222 Southwest Clay Street
Portland, Oregon 97201

I wish I could. I went to the one in Kansas City.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

"Our parks people in Walt Disney World believe during the peak holiday season that we were able to accommodate about 3,000 more additional guests in the Magic Kingdom per day thanks to MyMagic+.

"One of the, I think, most attractive features and one that I think will have possibly the biggest benefit is the FastPass+, which is the ability to reserve 3 times on 3 attractions per day, either before you visited the park if you are a resort guest, or the day you enter the park if you are a same day or a single day ticket holder.

"What we are seeing there is substantially higher utilization of that product among our guests than we saw with the traditional FASTPASS."​

When Iger's talking about Magic Kingdom capacity, it's in the context of FP+ vs. FP.

What we all understand is that as ride capacity is allocated increasingly to FP+, less is available through traditional lines.

POTC and HM cannot accommodate any more guests than it the past but, now, more are using FP+ since neither attraction had FP.

Hey its an 'extra' 300,000 K per day in round numbers... Who cares about the 'experience'

flynnibus

Premium Member
I

I follow your logic.. I just think the language is funky to start and could be interpreted otherwise too.

The interesting bits to me are 1) he reenforced the day guys being day of 2) the 3 per day

The utilization of the system is kind of by default when they force 3 picks on everyone... oh bob :)

John

check the 'rooms department' clause all you need is to close the floor for 30 days, look at the parking lots over the holidays - half empty at most of the deluxes and the stories of empty buses to/from deluxes those tell the tale better

I was at CBR last week and the place was a ghost town. Two times me and my gf were the only ones on the bus. The buses were never more then half full and most of the time it was no more then a hand full of guest.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

The five hour long standby lines were excellent. Those makeshift queues increased capacity a bunch!

JimboJones123

"Were able to accommodate 3000 more guests in MK per day due to MyMagic Plus. "

They did not comment on whether MM+ has increased revenue.
How does that happen?

When people are not in lines, capacity raises because there are more people in public spaces? This does not make a lick of sense.

Maybe more people are headed to MK daily because MM+ has truly turned the other three into the half day parks that they are.

JimboJones123

[quotedecreases ca3, post: 5925174, member: 88816"]Just curious...how would MM+ increase "ride capacity"?

Am I missing something here? Not trying to start an argument[/quote]
Or it decteases capacity in some cases where empty vehicles are being launched.

DManRightHere

Prediction...

Disney will post massive profits and people will complain its not going back to the parks even though Disney is spending billions building. There will also be speculation all the profits will be going into the pockets of executives even though that's illegal, it will still be suggested and pursued as fact.

And I will enjoy the price of my stock climbing.

Jimmy Thick- Quick change the sheets, its about to blow...

I really wish I had pulled the trigger on Disney Stock a few years ago when it was $25...after looking at the historical data I didn't expect it to do much. I really need to figure out how to buy stock anyways. I also wanted to buy into Dow jones after 9/11 but couldn't find an easy way to do it lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom