TWDC 2QFY16 Earnings Call Thread

Quinnmac000

Honestly, that would be a great thing for our parks.

Not exactly. It later becomes a huge burden on whatever company buys them out. OLC and a lot of other companies aren't ready to handle 7 theme parks, 2 waters parks, a good sized amount of hotels,DVC, and essentially be the land lord over Disney Springs with renting spaces out, also a lot of companies don't have the money on hand to buy them like Comcast tried to back in the day.

xstech25

The attendance decrease isn't that big of a deal, Disney has moved pricing more towards elasticity ahead of a lot of big new attractions opening. The decrease, at least for right now, isn't such a bad thing. Notice how they made more money even with lower attendance. When Star Wars opens it is going to go through the roof but they are going to have to deal with slow to moderate growth until then, the good news is with Shanghai finally open a lot of those imagineers will be back to work on the 50th for WDW.

Also I never got the whole love affair with the Oriental Land Company. Tokyo Disney Sea is an amazingly themed park but IMO the two American properties are still the best (and yes I have been to all of them).Tokyo Disneyland isn't quite up there with Disneyland and about on par with MK.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

The attendance decrease isn't that big of a deal, Disney has moved pricing more towards elasticity ahead of a lot of big new attractions opening. The decrease, at least for right now, isn't such a bad thing. Notice how they made more money even with lower attendance. When Star Wars opens it is going to go through the roof.

Also I never got the whole love affair with the Oriental Land Company. Tokyo Disney Sea is an amazingly themed park but IMO the American parks are still the best (and yes I have been to all of them), Tokyo Disneyland isn't quite up there with Disneyland and about on par with MK.

There's no objective comparison between MK and TDL where MK comes out ahead. TDL smokes it in attractions, entertainment, dining - MK probably has better merch, and that's about it.

The problem with the fantasy of OLC buying WDPR is that it's never going to happen, and OLC isn't some saintly Walt worshipping company - they're contractually bound to high standards or they'll lose their Disney license. They do put Disney's feet to the fire and don't take their BS ideas like Avatar in TDS or Cars Land replacing TDL's River.

xstech25

There's no objective comparison between MK and TDL where MK comes out ahead. TDL smokes it in attractions, entertainment, dining - MK probably has better merch, and that's about it..
Well I guess we all have our opinions, but I like Main Street much better than that weird enigma that is World Bazaar. While it looks deceivingly nice in pictures, it is lackluster in person, especially the lightning package at night. Also Tomorrowland at TDL is ugly, it looks like MK from the 70s. While yes it has Star Tours, that ride is also at WDW, and I am not a big fan of the Monsters Inc Ride. Its quite boring and pointless, I would rather have Laugh Floor, more entertaining and not nearly as long of a line. I actually like the DCA version of the Monsters Inc Ride better than Tokyo's and obviously it doesn't get nearly as long of a line.

Also I really like Peoplemover and Hall of President's. While TDL obviously isn't going to have Hall of Presidents, I think it really does add a lot to MK's lineup. Although I do really enjoy the Japan version of the Tiki Room with Stitch :).

Speedy71

Is anyone surprised that price increases and service cuts would eventually impact attendance, Ordinarily I'd be at WDW now but with all the cuts and closures the trip did not seem worthwhile this year and I let my AP expire last August for the same reason.

Agreed. Going to Universal for the new Kong ride and hopefully Hulk.

BrianLo

I wonder if or when they will get the hint to start putting some MAJOR attention into wdw instead of just cutting and delaying things up there

They've already figured that out. The problem is we are still paying for their inept decisions from 3-5 years ago when Bob decided to basically halt all P&R spending.

The spending is back in a big way... but it takes a long time to reap what they sow.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They've already figured that out. The problem is we are still paying for their inept decisions from 3-5 years ago when Bob decided to basically halt all P&R spending.

The spending is back in a big way... but it takes a long time to reap what they sow.

WDW should never stop growing and improving. While the new parade was nice, new fantasyland was well just hi-ho-hum and I can't think of anything else big that just drew people in.

I'm hoping someone is keeping an eye on Uni and what they are accomplishing and in a short amount of time. While some of their new attractions aren't top of the line (in my opinion) they are new attractions and they are growing at a fast rate while Disney just sits on the pot

raven

I hate to call this thinking many have here delusional but I am getting close to it. 3 major lands opening in the next 3 years is happening.
3 years? Do you think they are going to actually open on time? Look at their track record. :cautious:

The attendance decrease isn't that big of a deal, Disney has moved pricing more towards elasticity ahead of a lot of big new attractions opening. The decrease, at least for right now, isn't such a bad thing. Notice how they made more money even with lower attendance. When Star Wars opens it is going to go through the roof but they are going to have to deal with slow to moderate growth until then...
He clearly stated that "higher guest spending" was due to higher prices on everything. Guests didn't just willing spend more money.

And by the time Star Wars opens gate prices will have increased another $20-$50 so that's a no-brainer.

Nemo14

Don't know how any company can be "very pleased" with less guests visiting. Yes, you've made more money but it kind of proves you are starting to put people off.
As long as those fewer guests will turn over their wallets at the gate no matter what the price, the company is happy.

ParentsOf4

So let me get this straight. Disney wants less customers? What business ever said that? NONE!
Don't know how any company can be "very pleased" with less guests visiting. Yes, you've made more money but it kind of proves you are starting to put people off.
Disney wants higher profits. Attendance is ancillary.

P&R operating income was up 10.2%, driven by higher prices and cost cutting measures that capped operating expense to a 2.7% increase, the lowest increase since Disney started publicly reporting this as a separate expense.

Although good, it pails to the previous quarter's 21.9%, and that quarter saw international P&R revenue decline by even more than this quarter.

Looking at the last several years, a 10% increase in operating income is a below average number for Disney Parks & Resorts.

Without the recently reported cost cutting measures at WDW and DLR, one could well imagine that this would have been the smallest increase since the last recession, when operating income actually declined.

ChipNDale79

Disney wants higher profits. Attendance is ancillary.

P&R operating income was up 10.2%, driven by higher prices and cost cutting measures that capped operating expense to a 2.7% increase, the lowest increase since Disney started publicly reporting this as a separate expense.

Although good, it pails to the previous quarter's 21.9%, and that quarter saw international P&R revenue decline by even more than this quarter.

Looking at the last several years, a 10% increase in operating income is a below average number for Disney Parks & Resorts.

Without the recently reported cost cutting measures at WDW and DLR, one could well imagine that this would have been the smallest increase since the last recession, when operating income actually declined.

New here, first post, so be easy on me.

But I don't buy the attendance is ancillary notion, if that were the case, then why are they offering steeper discounts and offering them more often than normal this year? They are spinning it to sound like guests are spending more on products, however per guests spending is up simply because of the increases. Per Guests spending is up, but becasue of those increases they now have less guests to collect money from. Those increases coupled with the stagnation of the parks over the past few years, and the cuts they've made are a direct correlation as to why attendance is down at WDW.

WDW guests have been asked to do a lot over the past couple of years, including going through the headache of the implementation of MM+. I think all of those things have left a sour taste in some people's mouths, and they decided to skip a year. That's exactly what has happened in my house, and I know from this message board and others, that we aren't the only ones.

They want the parks full all the time, if they tell you differently, they are lying to you.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
As long as those fewer guests will turn over their wallets at the gate no matter what the price, the company is happy.

I think that's exactly right. If they can make more money at whatever cost (less guests but raising prices to offset) then they are happy

I just wonder how long it takes the genius board and shareholders to understand that if they build more and expand, attract more people, they'd likely make more money as well

I think some of it comes from being able to manage more. Their transportation system is a mess... monorail is basically held together be duct tape, their busses...enough said, and their management of things today isn't all that great so I don't think they want to expand or maybe never even build a 5th park in the future... they can't manage what they have now but need return for the shareholder... so what do they think... "I know... we'll just raise prices on everything... and it'll happen like magic!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom