TTA reopening pushed back to Sep 12 2009

EPCOT Explorer

And JIYI. And the tombstones. And the Wand. And the canopies...
Hey, I said some!:lol:

We also got RoE, ToN, Mill. Village....:wave:
see below

see below

see below

Guys. Put the pitch forks away and dont point them at me again. When I said redone, I mean take the model and either replace it with an exact replica that has more up-to-date lighting features, futuristic transportation, etc or at least take the existing model and fix replace some of its components. Last I remember, it is looking like it was made 30 years ago.

I might be alone here, but the materials that make that model (cardboards, plastics, fiberglass) do age. IMHO, it is better to replace the original with something that actually looks good then to hold on to something that looks like it is 30 years old and starting to age.... which is not inspiring.

Hmmm, sounds like the same argument about the old Epcot attractions.

Well said!:wave: Ignore the forkers....:rolleyes::lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thats funny, it was made over 40 years ago, so that's actually not bad!

As others have said, it IS a museum piece and should be treated as such, maybe restored using the same materials/process but the content should NOT be changed. It was a representation of Walt's greatest dream besides Disneyland....the Magic Kingdom park was going to be built mostly to help fund the EPCOT project.
Wow. You prove my point even more.

I guess we will agree to disagree. The future audiences wont be able to relate to a model that is SO outdated.

For example, you could show kids of today's generation an 1960 Electrolux canister vac and they would probably not know what it is or have any interest.... then show then a 2008 Dyson upright. Oh, they say. This looks innovative etc.

The model represents a vision. I agree. It doesn't need to go. But it is challenging to tell a story like the CoP of yesteryear without any true dialogue etc (yes, there is the spiel, but that is what it is)

Agree to disagree. we are cool.

EPCOT Explorer

Wow. You prove my point even more.

I guess we will agree to disagree. The future audiences wont be able to relate to a model that is SO outdated.

For example, you could show kids of today's generation an 1960 Electrolux canister vac and they would probably not know what it is or have any interest.... then show then a 2008 Dyson upright. Oh, they say. This looks innovative etc.

The model represents a vision. I agree. It doesn't need to go. But it is challenging to tell a story like the CoP of yesteryear without any true dialogue etc (yes, there is the spiel, but that is what it is)

Agree to disagree. we are cool.

I must say, though...It IS supposed to be retro looking. The Speil announces that it was saved by the TL Metro Retro Society.:wave:

It does need a good dusting, though.

EPCOTPluto

I must say, though...It IS supposed to be retro looking. The Speil announces that it was saved by the TL Metro Retro Society.:wave:

Now if it was slightly larger... :animwink:

ge_progress_6.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

Ok... Evan, Ill try one more example and then we are dropping it since we have spent way too much time talking about this :lol:

I guess a better analogy would be SM. The launch and entry tunnels are retro, original to the attraction but extremely outdated. The attraction as a whole is classic (the track layout, ride vehicle design). Keep the bones of it classic, but update the effects that surround it (lighting, sound, visuals).

Keep the model the same (the bones), but update the lighting effects that illuminate the city and all the activities. The TL Metro Retro Society will look a bit prettier.

EPCOT Explorer

Ok... Evan, Ill try one more example and then we are dropping it since we have spent way too much time talking about this :lol:

I guess a better analogy would be SM. The launch and entry tunnels are retro, original to the attraction but extremely outdated. The attraction as a whole is classic (the track layout, ride vehicle design). Keep the bones of it classic, but update the effects that surround it (lighting, sound, visuals).

Keep the model the same (the bones), but update the lighting effects that illuminate the city and all the activities. The TL Metro Retro Society will look a bit prettier.

Aha! :D Got you exactly, Joel. :)

That's what I meant when I said a "dusting, FYI...:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Ah. Well. now that is cleared up.... time to get ready for tomorrow

:lol: See ya...:wave:

I should be off, too. I have my History of (Spaceship) Earth class and lab, tomorrow....Or as I like to call it, Fun with Rocks.:lookaroun

Thank goodness EPCOT never got that Geology Pavilion.:lookaroun:lol:

hpyhnt 1000

:lol: See ya...:wave:

I should be off, too. I have my History of (Spaceship) Earth class and lab, tomorrow....Or as I like to call it, Fun with Rocks.:lookaroun

Thank goodness EPCOT never got that Geology Pavilion.:lookaroun:lol:

Whats wrong with rocks? :lol:

And a geology pavilion... actually, that might be kinda cool... :) (but I suppose The Land takes care of that. :shrug:)

EPCOT Explorer

Whats wrong with rocks? :lol:

And a geology pavilion... actually, that might be kinda cool... :) (but I suppose The Land takes care of that. :shrug:)

I am being facetious.:D

It's actually a fascinating class.... I am just a little weary of the 22 pages I had to cover today on Igneous Rocks and their properties.:lookaroun:lol:

Geology WAS a cool topic for FW.... And it was merged with The Land, for a while.:wave: TL was going to have a thrill ride...something with Digging at high speeds.:lol:

Rob562

Isn't it mostly tucked behind UK? What is promenade frontage is narrow.

You're forgetting the Off Kilter stage. It's built on part of the same frontage that MillVill uses. Similar to Germany's model train, Canada expanded itself slightly beyond its borders and into the neighboring empty plot.
Plus, MillVill extends around into what is supposed to be part of the UK pavilion if they had gotten an attraction.

If you took out MillVill and the Off Kilter stage, you could easily fit a Norway-sized pavilion in that plot of land, even without going around behind the UK. And if they kept the land behind the UK for a show building, they could put one HUGE E-ticket in there...

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

You're forgetting the Off Kilter stage. It's built on part of the same frontage that MillVill uses. Similar to Germany's model train, Canada expanded itself slightly beyond its borders and into the neighboring empty plot.
Plus, MillVill extends around into what is supposed to be part of the UK pavilion if they had gotten an attraction.

If you took out MillVill and the Off Kilter stage, you could easily fit a Norway-sized pavilion in that plot of land, even without going around behind the UK. And if they kept the land behind the UK for a show building, they could put one HUGE E-ticket in there...

-Rob
At least put Big Ben up....:eek:

EPCOTPluto

Of course, the one reason we need Millennium Village is so that WoL or The Odyssey isn't degraded continually as event space.

Just something to point out... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom