TSM Troubles

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While that may be true, OP did use this story to dramatize the situation, and I feel help prove his/her point. So I think it is fair for us to criticize the parents.

That being said, it is a shame that capacity is down on this ride, I've been twice in the past three years and am going down again in three weeks, and I've yet to ride TSMM, and I don't know that I will on this trip. I personally don't wait in anything with longer than a 45 minute wait, just my own personal policy. With that policy, and going down in September, I've been able to ride everything else in the parks. What I don't get is, is the ride really that good? Or is Hollywood Studios just that much in need of more rides?
I think it is a little from column A and a little for column B. The ride is quite fun and with the introduction of a competitive aspect to it riding it can almost become an addiction. While DHS is far from devoid of attractions what they do have can be quite polarizing or simply lack rerideability. If you do not like thrill rides a good 1/3 of the park is immediately off the table. The Backlot tour, Indy, Muppets and LMA and GMR have been the same for so long that they simply hold little interest for your average frequent guest. Once you have seen them a few times the desire to re-see them is just not there for some.

"OK, parents need to take care of their kids first and not worry about getting on a ride.

I do not like long lines at all either and I think two hours is too long to wait. I just do not wait in line for those rides or I get a fastpass."

I agree

Tooning

Love that ride but 2 Hours no freakin chance I am waiting that long. Waited 50 minutes and that was too long. As lots of people have been saying we need another "Family" ride that people can go on in Pixar place. The perfect amount in my opinion for DHS would be 3 more attractions t take people awayfrom TSMM. 2 Family rides 1in Pixar place one somewhere else and 1 more "thrill" Ride. without replacing anything though I mean brand New

Eyorefan

I think it is a little from column A and a little for column B. The ride is quite fun and with the introduction of a competitive aspect to it riding it can almost become an addiction. While DHS is far from devoid of attractions what they do have can be quite polarizing or simply lack rerideability. If you do not like thrill rides a good 1/3 of the park is immediately off the table. The Backlot tour, Indy, Muppets and LMA and GMR have been the same for so long that they simply hold little interest for your average frequent guest. Once you have seen them a few times the desire to re-see them is just not there for some.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. DHS is a half day park for me (if that) and its only because there hasn't been enough change in the park over the last 20 years. If Disney were to add another family attraction and updated at least one of their long running shows, you would see a drop in the wait for TSM.

fosse76

Absolutely another family attraction will help. Toy Story Mania is the only ride based attraction the whole family can enjoy at the Studios (many say they wont take their youngest on Great Movie Ride). I actually root for another family dark ride before another coaster with a height requirement.

With their hourly capacity now around 1000 and daily summer attendance at ~30,000 and an average park hour of 9-9 less than half of those in attendance could even experience Toy Story Mania.

Without FastPass those guests would just be in the standby line.

It works just fine without FP at DCA. The line I waited in was 35 minutes, and let me tell you, it NEVER stopped moving. It was a fast 35 minutes.

SleepingMonk

I didn't think TSMM was all that great. In fact I thought it was really quite boring. You just spin around and "shoot" at 3D screens in a big open room. No real sets, no AAs, no nothing really.

Buzz Lightyear at MK and MIB at Universal are much better in my opinion.

djkidkaz

TSM is a mixed bag for me. I love the ride, but I've always been disappointed by the lack of themeing. I think the queue is pretty blah for the amount of praise people give it. When I think of queues, I think of attractions like Pirates and TOT. Comparing TSM to those, its pretty lame. Just a bunch of oversized props and a Mr Potato Head that repeats the same phrases over and over. For the amount of talk on how revolutionary the animatronic was, I've never seen him take off his ear and I normally have to listen to him sing One Potato, Two potato 3 or 4 times in line. The one part of the queue I love is going over the attraction right before you get on and being able to look down on the ride vehicles and people. But even once you get in the ride, its just a bunch of screens and the cheap "cutouts" off to the side. In my opinion, they could have done so much more. Why not put up a fake sky like Pirates used to have, or even make it feel more like a carnival inside the attraction. I get it, its supposed to be a playset, but that is just a copout to me for creating it on the cheap.

I think the attraction also has so many guests because as others have stated, there isn't much to do in the Studios, especially when you have the whole family. Young kids and grandparents most likely aren't riding TOT or RNRC, so your left with GMR, TSM and a bunch of shows. I think what Disney needs to do is add in the Monsters Inc coaster next door and then add a major E-ticket attraction to the back of the park to draw guests to explore whats back there. Its way too often a ghost town back there, even in the middle of the day. I think most people, myself included, weigh the option of whether or not its worth the energy in the hot florida sun to trek to the back of the park, and I'd assume most people are like me and dont see the benefit. Magic Kingdom has it down to a science! Put something in every land that will draw you to want to explore further. The Studios doesn't have that consistent pull of "let me see whats around the next corner".

the-reason14

Are the exit gates really that big of a problem? I haven't been there post refurb but can't see it as a huge issue. Maybe someone can break it down for me, but all this "increased wait time" has me worried. TSM is a high demand ride so to speak, and if the refurb makes it harder to get fastpasses and stuff, well that just messed up. I could see myself waiting long even with a fastpass as pre refurb, waiting at the foot of the stairs until you're finally lined up to board could take close to 15 minutes or so. Now it seems it's gonna be worse.

EpcotServo

Are the exit gates really that big of a problem? I haven't been there post refurb but can't see it as a huge issue. Maybe someone can break it down for me, but all this "increased wait time" has me worried. TSM is a high demand ride so to speak, and if the refurb makes it harder to get fastpasses and stuff, well that just messed up. I could see myself waiting long even with a fastpass as pre refurb, waiting at the foot of the stairs until you're finally lined up to board could take close to 15 minutes or so. Now it seems it's gonna be worse.

I've had it explained many times, and still can't really visualize the problem.
:lol:

The ride IS completely screwed up though. A bad soultion causes bad problems basically.

inluvwithbeast

Yep there have been other reports of capacity issues since the gates. No doubt they will rectify it one way or another. Disney are very good at keeping track of guest flow, so they will all the numbers they need to act.

This looks like a job for....

An industrial engineer!!! (neer, neer, neer...) <- that's an echo..

Hopefully in 3 or 4 short years, that will be me :p

Anywhoo, is this really a fastpass problem? I say no. It's popular and while capacity seems to have gone down, demand is still the same. You are going to have long lines until the issue is resolved.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone know what the actual problem is? About the only thing I can imagine is it being a timing issue. If the gates are waiting 5-10 seconds or so to open after the vehicle arrives I could see that throwing off the guest per hour capacity.

djkidkaz

The problem is this guy! Supposedly you must answer three questions to get past the gate!

bridgekeeper.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom