TSA Pre-Check like system may be coming for Passholders

roj2323

Having worked in the parks I can say with sincerity the metal detectors are largely security theater. It is true that they find something occasionally but the reality is even with 100% guest screening, which we will agree does not happen, there are still security holes the size of Semi's in and around all of the parks and for that matter every parking lot is unsecured and a major congestion / congregation point making them just as dangerous. All of this is of course ignoring the elephant in the room which is the cast members themselves who pass through with large bags at all hours with no metal detector checks either. Truth be told you could get any number of weapons into any of the 4 parks without being noticed if you know anything about how they operate and it really doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just google maps along with a few park visits and driving around each parks perimeter.

AEfx

I feel the security at The Magic Kingdom is the best setup for a theme park layout, even if a attack did occur at the security checkpoints, they most likely would not be able to enter The Magic Kingdom because they would either need to Ride the Monorail (Which can be shut down externally) Or steal a boat.

Why would they want to enter it?

I think we learned that from Vegas.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
1. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes for security. Which is good, because that is how it is intended. Further increasing the theater just makes paranoid people feel better, and frankly - nothing will satisfy them, because they are paranoid.

2. What evidence do you have to provide regarding the lack of safety of the parks? What crime statistics do you have that the rest of us don't that paint them as "unsafe"?

Good security is 'invisble' as Disney's has been for most of its history.

But we have to 'do something' to make the fearful soccer moms 'feel safe'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think someone once said something like a people who surrender some freedom for temporary security deserve neither security or freedom. Not sure if that applies here but I'll throw it in anyways.

Benjamin Franklin 'Those that would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety'

It was and is extremely harsh comment on cowardice.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having worked in the parks I can say with sincerity the metal detectors are largely security theater. It is true that they find something occasionally but the reality is even with 100% guest screening, which we will agree does not happen, there are still security holes the size of Semi's in and around all of the parks and for that matter every parking lot is unsecured and a major congestion / congregation point making them just as dangerous. All of this is of course ignoring the elephant in the room which is the cast members themselves who pass through with large bags at all hours with no metal detector checks either. Truth be told you could get any number of weapons into any of the 4 parks without being noticed if you know anything about how they operate and it really doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just google maps along with a few park visits and driving around each parks perimeter.

Exactly so.

AEfx

Personally, I feel there would be greater shock value of seeing many dead inside The Magic Kingdom next to Cinderella's castle...

We are really getting into uncomfortable territory here, but again - Vegas. No one needs to step foot in the MK for this to happen. In fact, it's the least efficient way to do so.

Zac Skellington

Okay? And? What leads you to believe there is even the most remote possibility that it is a specific target? Some random WDW resort hotel is not where someone trying to make a statement is going to make it.

In any case, you'd be very mistaken to say that stopping and using dogs and/or electronic devices to scan each and every vehicle entering AK property isn't intrusive to guests. Do you know how many vehicles come in and out of there on a daily basis?
I didn’t say it WAS a specific target, mentioned the specific resort due to the parking garage UNDER sleeping guests.
Also, people looking to harm others aren’t always looking to make a statement, as you say, look at Sandy Hook and Vegas.

lazyboy97o

I didn’t say it WAS a specific target, mentioned the specific resort due to the parking garage UNDER sleeping guests.
Also, people looking to harm others aren’t always looking to make a statement, as you say, look at Sandy Hook and Vegas.
People sleep above parking garages in hotels and apartment buildings all around the country.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Parking garages are not a great target because they tend to be rather empty. They are not a place where people congregate. The openness of the parks and resorts is part of what can make them less desirable targets. What the shootings in Orlando and Vegas demonstrate is the danger of confining people together. Designs that are more open, that allow for more freedom of movement will make a place less desirable to attack because the design reduces your targets.

The various MK exits and bus queues at park close... *shudder*...

RSoxNo1

How about if you actually are approved for TSA pre check and you are a passholder, you can get the quicker screening?

DHS shares the database with airlines so why not WDW?
Disney needs to change the name of Disney's Hollywood Studios ASAP if we're going to start using Department of Homeland Security as an abbreviation on these boards.

RHCP Mickey

Yeah, Uni does it better. No argument there.

Most importantly, there's not much any of us can do other than to go about living and enjoying our lives as we always have. For me, that definitely includes frequent trips to see the Mouse. Don't let them win!

That said, in the mid-morning rush at Universal on a Saturday, there are thousands and thousands of people stacked up in an extremely enclosed space between the parking lot and the security checkpoint. In all my park entry experiences, that one always gives me the most heebie jeebies. If Disney were ever to institute some sort of pre-check system, I'm sure that they would require background checks of some sort. I don't think the decision makers are as dumb as many of these comments make them out to be.

bclane

Most importantly, there's not much any of us can do other than to go about living and enjoying our lives as we always have. For me, that definitely includes frequent trips to see the Mouse. Don't let them win!

That said, in the mid-morning rush at Universal on a Saturday, there are thousands and thousands of people stacked up in an extremely enclosed space between the parking lot and the security checkpoint. In all my park entry experiences, that one always gives me the most heebie jeebies. If Disney were ever to institute some sort of pre-check system, I'm sure that they would require background checks of some sort. I don't think the decision makers are as dumb as many of these comments make them out to be.
Same here. I go to the parks very frequently and never plan to give up my annual passes. My desire for stronger security at WDW does not have any bearing on how I lead my life. :joyfull:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Oh, this is really GOOD. WDW: "Give us your known Traveler Number". Now use the systems the AIRLINES use. Even charge a fee, and establish real "TSA PRE" line(s).

1) Potential Liability shifts to TSA PRE.
2) No need for a "Disney" screening process.

The NFL MIGHT be brilliant, for once. WDW should examine this.

BTW - dear wife and I just GOT TSA PRE this year. It's not trivial - there really is a pretty decent background check.

Sir_Cliff

Personally, if I saw a bomb sniffing dog and electronic devices and mirrors to look under the car I'm reversing and heading home.
Disneyland Paris is more or less already there. A lot of bomb sniffing dogs around, they check the trunk of your car and sometimes use mirrors as you drive into the hotel, your luggage goes through an airport-style scanner before you enter the lobby, etc.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you're talking about using TSA Pre-Check to let guests thru security faster without a full security screening at the gate, then I don't have the words to properly convey how BAD of an idea that is. If you're talking about a TSA Pre-check-STYLE system, where guests have the "opportunity" to pay more to have an expedited security screening at the gate, then it's simply a money grab.

Got a problem? Do things the Disney Way©!!! Don't fix the problem, just charge guests more to get around it or use something else... :banghead:

WDWTank

First of all, Disney needs to stop acting like Cruella Deville by screening all guests, not just pass holders.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh, this is really GOOD. WDW: "Give us your known Traveler Number". Now use the systems the AIRLINES use. Even charge a fee, and establish real "TSA PRE" line(s).

1) Potential Liability shifts to TSA PRE.
2) No need for a "Disney" screening process.

The NFL MIGHT be brilliant, for once. WDW should examine this.

BTW - dear wife and I just GOT TSA PRE this year. It's not trivial - there really is a pretty decent background check.

If you think PreCheck is thorough try NEXUS then you get a FBI and RCMP background check and interviews by both CBP and the canadian equivalent

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom