News Tropical Storm Debby Possible Impacts to WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
As of now there are no tornado warnings currently in the entire state of Florida. Yesterday we were told that even though Orlando isnt in the direct path, they were going to have constant tornado warnings, while lacking knowledge of a tornado watch.

Lilofan

Would love to, but we are in a difficult position. We run the last hardware store left downtown/on the Peninsula (family store, 4 generations!) and the only place that downtown residents and businesses can still get their supplies as the water rises.

We live downtown so we can walk/wade in and still serve the community in these events, but also won't require staff to commute in, so it's going to be a skeleton crew, and I can't let the fam down or make staff risk their vehicles or health for something we won't do ourselves.

It just sucks :(
I’ve seen reports of sections of Charleston may get up to 30 inches when all said and done. I wish you all the best of luck to ride it out.

Last edited:

Lilofan

There are currently tornado warnings to the north (Lake City) and east (Cape Canaveral) of you. So apparently you've never experienced a tornado whether in a hurricane or not. Your first step in "taking cover" in a hurricane is staying at home. If you're at WDW, you'll find no safer a location than your resort. I "lucked out" that I was staying at AKL when Ian rolled through. The next step is finding an interior room without windows if a tornado warning is issued.
The helpful part of hurricanes is the weather forecasters can predict to the hour when it will roll into your actual area. That’s the time to hide in the walk in closet with the door closed while the winds are howling and you feel your roof and windows will blow out in a number of cases a number of homes it did. Shortly after we all came out of our homes with flashlights and seek out fellow neighbors to see if they are ok and surveyed the neighborhood damage. The police curfews shortly followed. We stayed at Coronado Springs during a hurricane in the late 1990s. All guests had to vacate rooms and we all slept on the floor with thousands in the huge Coronado convention center.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’m sure you’re not the only one, but I can tell you this…I’ve lived at the Jersey shore for 30+ years…when my girls were small, we would go over the Mantoloking bridge to get to the boardwalk and we’d watch all these GIGANTIC homes being built and I said SOMEDAY, we’ll get hit and the ocean will meet the bay…they laughed and said I was nuts…and so did all those people building those houses…then Sandy hit…
I’m a Jets fan…I don’t gamble…
Of course I realize they’re at the coast and you’re close to 50 miles inland, but it can happen…

An unfortunate fantasy that transplants create and suffer through. People flock to building new houses too close to the shore (not wondering why there isnt anything there already) and find out eventually why it was "empty".

John park hopper

I’ve seen reports of Charleston may get up to 30 inches when all said and done. I wish you all the best of luck to ride it out.
I'm just north of Charleston, if Charleston gets 30" of rain and a 4 foot storm rise they will be under water, 30 miles up the coast where I am we had 18" of rain several months back kids were kayaking down our road. Little rain so far ground is dry so I hope it can soak up a lot of the rain

Lilofan

I'm just north of Charleston, if Charleston gets 30" of rain and a 4 foot storm rise they will be under water, 30 miles up the coast where I am we had 18" of rain several months back kids were kayaking down our road. Little rain so far ground is dry so I hope it can soak up a lot of the rain
Good luck to you and your family. Yes this will be an intense event. I can’t imagine 18’ of rain. Miami recently got a rain storm of several inches and some were kayaking in the streets. I read in Greenville SC news local areas in Charleston could get up to 30 inches. That would be catastrophic.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Some people take predictions of the possibility of higher localized amounts and sensationalize them to much larger areas.

Lilofan

An unfortunate fantasy that transplants create and suffer through. People flock to building new houses too close to the shore (not wondering why there isnt anything there already) and find out eventually why it was "empty".
And when houses and condos are wiped out, some residents come back and rebuild in the same waterfront location.

Ayla

Charleston is forecast to get 10-15 inches of rain from this system. As you are probably well-aware, Charleston streets flood when there is a higher-than-usual tide, so there will be flooding for sure.

Gringrinngghost

Code:
Tornado Warning
FLC095-051315-
/O.NEW.KMLB.TO.W.0015.240805T1255Z-240805T1315Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Melbourne FL
855 AM EDT Mon Aug 5 2024

The National Weather Service in Melbourne has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southwestern Orange County in east central Florida...

* Until 915 AM EDT.

* At 855 AM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Bay Lake, moving north at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Orlando, Ocoee, and Winter Garden around 900 AM EDT.
  Pine Hills and Orlovista around 910 AM EDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Lake
Butler.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile
home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and
protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 2835 8156 2835 8165 2858 8163 2857 8140
TIME...MOT...LOC 1255Z 199DEG 31KT 2840 8159

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN

$$

Schaper

Lilofan

Code:
Tornado Warning
FLC095-051315-
/O.NEW.KMLB.TO.W.0015.240805T1255Z-240805T1315Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
855 AM EDT Mon Aug 5 2024

The National Weather Service in Melbourne has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southwestern Orange County in east central Florida...

* Until 915 AM EDT.

* At 855 AM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Bay Lake, moving north at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Orlando, Ocoee, and Winter Garden around 900 AM EDT.
  Pine Hills and Orlovista around 910 AM EDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Lake
Butler.

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile
home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and
protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 2835 8156 2835 8165 2858 8163 2857 8140
TIME...MOT...LOC 1255Z 199DEG 31KT 2840 8159

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN

$$

Schaper
Wow I'd be hiding in the walk in closet ASAP.🙏 for affected Orlando residents.

Gringrinngghost

Code:
Special Weather Statement
905 AM EDT Mon Aug 5 2024

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL IMPACT SOUTHWESTERN SEMINOLE...WESTERN ORANGE AND NORTHWESTERN OSCEOLA COUNTIES THROUGH 945 AM EDT...

At 905 AM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over Champions Gate, or near Celebration, moving north at 50 mph.

HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 50 mph.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects.

Locations impacted include... Orlando, Kissimmee, Apopka, Altamonte Springs, and Ocoee.

If outdoors, consider seeking shelter inside a building.

Conditions are favorable for the development of weak, brief funnel clouds. On rare occasions they can briefly touch down, producing wind gusts over 50 mph. If a funnel cloud is spotted move indoors and report your sighting to the National Weather Service.

A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 400 PM EDT for east central Florida.

&&

TIME...MOT...LOC 1305Z 200DEG 43KT 2828 8160

MAX HAIL SIZE...0.00 IN
MAX WIND GUST...50 MPH

$$

Schaper

taintedzodiac

Wow I'd be hiding in the walk in closet ASAP.🙏 for affected Orlando residents.
Our house was right in the middle of the warning cone here, seems like the winds have died down though. Kids got to experience the plan executed so that’s some good experience for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom