Tron Test Track

TwilightZone

If I had to choose between the two versions:

I choose WoM over either version of Test Track.
WOM is way better than both for sure!
But boy is test track 2 bad compared to both. It doesn't deserve to be in the same spot.
Well ok, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement. There's worse out there (Journey into imagination with figment comes to mind).

Jon81uk

This ride uses the same technology as Radiator Springs Racers and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Sure it may be a little older, but seriously...look at the theming comparison! Radiator Springs is so much fun. I’ve never been to Tokyo but that ride looks extravant. And in Epcot we have a literal Test Track. A ride to market cars. Yawn.

Except a large part of the "theme" of future world was a ride to market X. The original aim was for several pavilions to have sponsors and the rides reflect their products. Original Test Track very much fitted with the theme of Epcot, new Test Track with the car designing elements could be a great ride, but is just a little half-baked.

TTA94

I wish TT would get another update. @marni1971 said it wasn’t happening which I’m kind of surprised with the whole “Epcot Redo” thing. I miss the original version especially the bumps and the environmental/weather test areas.

Although if your lucky enough and there’s storms in the area you might run into real weather tests outside lol. Happened to me recently. Added a extra “thrill” to the outside portion of the ride lol.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Since this thread was brought back I might as well throw in my 2 cents.

That one part where you hear "connecting to OnStar" is extremely cringe-worthy. I wont complain about the car showcase in the queue / exit, and the queue soundtrack is top notch (i'm sad it doesn't make its way to the ride itself).

I would agree the on-ride portion could use way more pizzazz.

Disney4family

I wish TT would get another update. @marni1971 said it wasn’t happening which I’m kind of surprised with the whole “Epcot Redo” thing. I miss the original version especially the bumps and the environmental/weather test areas.

Although if your lucky enough and there’s storms in the area you might run into real weather tests outside lol. Happened to me recently. Added a extra “thrill” to the outside portion of the ride lol.
That happened to us one year. It was like taking a shower at 65 mph. :p

General Mayhem

The Original Test Track was crap, I really don't get the appeal for it when 90% of the ride was an empty warehouse. At least the current version is themed all the way through and matches Epcot's style and theme. I'll take version 2.0 over 1.0 any day. Also if you don't know what's going on you weren't paying attention to the ride's audio it clearly tells you what you are doing every step of the way.

CLEtoWDW

The new Test Track was an epic fail by Disney. First off all the “interactive” preshow/car design simply makes your wait longer. I yearn for the days of a simple Bill McKim preshow that lasts about a minute and then you are off to a short line and then boarding the attraction. Secondly, taking out the blocks and the environmental tests basically just makes for empty parts of the ride where your ride vehicle is just crawling along at I-4 traffic jam speeds.

I honestly think that they should shut down TT again and try again once Guardians opens.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The newer version is slightly better in tone and theme, IMO. The overall experience however feels about the same. I think the ride portion in Test Track 1.0 was a little more engaging. I particularly liked the bumps and brake runs. Comparing/Contrasting both are relatively equal. Even though there's more to do and see in Test Track 1.0, the visuals and build-a-car concept gives "Tron Track" a slight edge, IMO. The biggest blunders of Tron Track remains the ill-conceived transition as we switch from simulation to real world and the destruction of the "previously-perfected" crash wall as it was presented in Test Track 1.0.

Now... if we're to armchair upgrade this attraction...
I'd probably like Tron Track more if it were presented more like a game or challenge based on highest points accumulated during each test stage; with the winner being declared at the end. (Radiator Springs Racers anyone?) The end goal would be to make the attraction more interactive with a better tie-in to the custom car design storyline. And of course fix the weak link of Tron Track. The Power Test/Speed Portion. IMO, This entire scene needs to be recreated to appear as a giant results board showing current rankings before the final test. The scoreboard could then rise to reveal a tunnel. (tunnel looks identical to "Road Test" tunnel with similar digital landscape) Those tunnel visuals would adjust as the vehicle approaches. (Universal-Inspired squinching effect to creating digital depth perspective) As vehicle nears tunnel's entrance the "screen" scatters like de-materializing pixels as the doors open to reveal the outdoor portion of the ride. After Power Test the final results for the Design Group are posted declaring the winner! Lastly, at exit: the Design Group has the option to purchase a model of their custom vehicles in the gift shop. Incentive to up-charge experience: Test Track Winner can purchase his or her custom vehicle at a discount for being the "Best-Designed" test vehicle in their group.
Back to OP: I think Tron Track has a crap-ton of untapped potential. It certainly fits Future World better but the ride could be more interactive or er... interesting. But it's not like Test Track 1.0 was all that great anyway. It was more or less a prototype attraction. It worked, but it wasn't exactly a great attraction. And the part that makes it thrilling.. well that pretty much remains in Tron Track. Here's hoping Test Track 3.0, if and when it comes to fruition will be better than it's predecessors. Time to revise Test Track?

Nottamus

I like riding it. Epic fail? Disaster? Horrible....no. Its fine

last time I checked, i don't have a test track in my back yard....so when I go to Disney, I like riding it.

BUT...opinions are what drive this site...for every one that hates it, there's a thousand that don't.

TotallyBiased

season 1 s1 GIF by Dream Corp LLC

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom