News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
With the train going through the TRON building I imagine that the Railroad might be shut down for quite a while during construction of this new attraction. Even when they're not working on the roof it'd be going through a large construction zone. Sad.

railroad-tron.jpg

Last edited:

Kman101

I'm nitpicking the fact they put cool rides in the wrong parks. Switch this for GOTG and place TRON in EPCOT I wouldn't have an issue. Theme matters. A sci fi attraction belongs in a land that caters to Sci Fi. Put a futuristic ride in Future World.

Theme does matter and I agree. I've said the same thing you did. I'm not talking about those things.

Maeryk

I'm happy to see this coming to Orlando. It was my 2nd favorite thing about Shanghai DL after Pirates.

I found the seating more comfortable than I thought it would be, but I wonder how problematic the seats will be with the type of guest that is prevalent at WDW. At Shanghai they had one modified row on one of the trains in operation for those who could not seat in the normal ones. They may have to increase that several fold in WDW.

I'm already anticipating the complaining from "pooh sized" guests that it's not built for them, as one hears about Flights of Passage.

CanadianGordon

I'm honestly looking forward to this more and more. I hope though for the average visitor to WDW they add more trains where people can "sit".. There is a large percentage of the population that won't be able to ride comfortably.

VeroniqueB

When I think Tomorrowland now, I feel the theming is more "retro-futuristic" and I actually love that. Nostalgia + sci-fi. It makes CoP and Space Mountain fit, in my mind.

I also feel EPCOT is moving away from the "future" and more in the "celebrate achievement now + hope"?

Does that make any sense?

Maeryk

When I think Tomorrowland now, I feel the theming is more "retro-futuristic" and I actually love that. Nostalgia + sci-fi. It makes CoP and Space Mountain fit, in my mind.

I also feel EPCOT is moving away from the "future" and more in the "celebrate achievement now + hope"?

Does that make any sense?

It makes perfect sense. When Epcot was built, it was futuristic. By the time Seas was finished, tech was already surpassing Communicore. The problem with the speed with which things are evolving now, is they could design the most cutting edge, futuristic concept, and it would be old hat by the time the paint was dry.

Everybody says COP is laughable.. but Occulus rift is pretty hot right now, and I can buy an oven that I can tell my Amazon Echo to start cooking, at what temp, and for how long.. so aside from the fashion being a bit off.. we are there.

I think Disney has realized that they can't remain real-world tech cutting edge, because it will always evolve faster than they can build it, so are working more into the imagination thing. They also kinda have to compete with the thrill parks at least a little bit.

Maeryk

To be fair one is at least (can't believe I'm saying this) somewhat grounded in reality, the other isn't.

I too think they rides would fit better in the opposite parks, but space may be an issue as well. I don't know. Either way, Tomorrowland will be improved by the addition.

Lora Baines Bradley

A bit off topic, but I didn't realize how many people disliked TRON: Legacy. The plot isn't perfect, but it works, and the visuals alone are astounding, not to mention music. I am glad they went the sequel route rather than reboot, tie up those loose ends. If we are to get a third film, the plot HAS to be good. Get James Gunn or the Russo Bros. There's so much untapped potential: What happened to Yori? Is Rinzler Tron again? How would a Tron/Yori reunion go, if Tron was brainwashed this whole time? What about Quorra and the real world? The emphasis should be on the Grid, but how does the world react? What happened to Beck? Will Alan ever know about the Grid, other than bits and pieces? Will Lora, her life's work used to transport you there? So many questions, so many routes they could go.

Absimilliard

I'm honestly looking forward to this more and more. I hope though for the average visitor to WDW they add more trains where people can "sit".. There is a large percentage of the population that won't be able to ride comfortably.

One thing I could see is having more than the two trains with the modified row. On the other hand, I do not want all trains with that row as it would grind capacity down to an halt since all trains would technically be "accessible". Perhaps program the ride so it recognise that those trains have the Accessible seats and always send it to the same station side?

Having the split station here is a major advantage because if you have say 3 trains out of 7 with the accessible row and you send them all to the left side, the right side can still pump out trains. You'd avoid what cause the long lines on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

With a dispatch interval of 25 seconds, you're looking at a capacity of 2016 guests per hour. Is that possible? Yes, as the first "block", which is the launch pad to the first block brake after the outdoor portion is 21 seconds long. The other blocks are all slightly shorter, in the same way that Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris was designed. By using the double station and having all guests who require the accessible car on the same side, you'd still maintain a respectable 1500-1600 guests per hour number without really struggling.

Mike S

To be fair one is at least (can't believe I'm saying this) somewhat grounded in reality, the other isn't.
Didn't know you've explored the whole universe to know nothing like that exists*. They're both Sci-Fi, both should be in Tomorrowland. But this is neither here nor there as this is all happening regardless and at least Tower of Terror is safe and GotG is getting what appears to be a brand new build with insiders saying the UoE building is mostly just for the queue. It should be a really cool ride.

*Not defending Gaurdians in Epcot, just making a point.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom