News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Clamman73

Canopy piece going up.
FB46367C-DD8D-4901-9882-CA7858B38DF3.jpeg
767A3C4A-5CF0-46F2-85E6-14C77B52F124.jpeg

tirian

Yeah, that's fair. I have not ridden TRON, but I've already registered by disappointment with the fact that it seems to be "not much more than a roller coaster."
I’m excited about it, and every video makes me wish it were 30 seconds longer. Yet the gravity building is a blight on the Magic Kingdom and an insult to the intricate planning that lasted from 1971–now. Still, I’m happy to see an E-ticket added to the MK after almost 30 years!

Last edited:

_caleb

I’m excited about it, but every video makes me wish it were 30 seconds longer. Plus the gravity building is a blight on the Magic Kingdom and and insult to the intricate planning that lasted from 1971–now. Yet I’m still simply happy to see an E-ticket added to the MK after almost 30 years!
SAME

matt9112

YES! We definitely want roller coasters at Disney to be much more like the unthemed tracktangles found at regional amusement parks!
Did you just take shots at B&M because you do know they are the gold standard right? Period full stop. Keep in mind that montu one of the rides i mentioned is one of the best themed suspended coasters out there and its layout is the best suspended B&M on earth....literally it is ranked no 1 over and over.

UNCgolf

Did you just take shots at B&M because you do know they are the gold standard right? Period full stop. Keep in mind that montu one of the rides i mentioned is one of the best themed suspended coasters out there and its layout is the best suspended B&M on earth....literally it is ranked no 1 over and over.

Having a themed queue is different from the ride itself having a real story/theme with show pieces. There really isn't any of that on Montu; it's outdoors on an exposed track.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It just wouldn't really fit in at Disney with what they've historically tried to do (although Slinky Dog Dash isn't much of a themed experience either, at least in my opinion).

Last edited:

_caleb

Unless Montu is a roller-coaster themed roller-coaster, you and I have very different definitions of the term.
Montu_(Busch_Gardens_Africa)_02.jpg

I wasn't taking shots at B&M. I was saying that what roller coaster enthusiasts value as standards should not be applied to roller coasters at Disney parks, because Disney (in theory) is trying to do something different with these rides (even when they use off the shelf roller coasters).

Look, I was complaining about the brakes on TRON kicking in too aggressively upon entry to the gravity building. I think Disney can and should do better. But I don't think Disney roller coasters should be directly compared to enthusiast rankings in Roller Coaster Quarterly or whatever.

matt9112

Unless Montu is a roller-coaster themed roller-coaster, you and I have very different definitions of the term. View attachment 510324

I wasn't taking shots at B&M. I was saying that what roller coaster enthusiasts value as standards should not be applied to roller coasters at Disney parks, because Disney (in theory) is trying to do something different with these rides (even when they use off the shelf roller coasters).

Look, I was complaining about the brakes on TRON kicking in too aggressively upon entry to the gravity building. I think Disney can and should do better. But I don't think Disney roller coasters should be directly compared to enthusiast rankings in Roller Coaster Quarterly or whatever.

Your right Disney does want something different....a shorter overpriced ride.
Do you not see all the tunnels and trenches? It blends it amazingly well for a coaster of its size with no building....keep in mind its age....the 90s....i agree this is apples to oranges but to act like montu isnt well themed FOR what it is would also be incorrect. And disney has done cookie cutter...look at vekoma over there in DHS. The only theme is the darkness. A ride doesn't need to be huge to also be thrilling look at space mountain....amazingly slow but the feeling of almost dying 10 times on it makes it very thrilling. But this is a case of disney doing a big coaster....but making it amazingly short. The harshness of a brake run probably has something to do with the quanity of brakes...a shorter run needs to apply more force faster vs a longer run that can slow it down...well slower.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Montu well themed my backside! We love it to bits and it’s almost as smooth as when I first rode it in 2001 (with on ride photo no less) but it’s what it is - a tall coaster in a large field with some nice theming around the onstage area.

Take a look at Nemesis for a well themed suspended coaster. But we digress.

RSoxNo1

I’m excited about it, but every video makes me wish it were 30 seconds longer. Plus the gravity building is a blight on the Magic Kingdom and an insult to the intricate planning that lasted from 1971–now. Yet I’m still simply happy to see an E-ticket added to the MK after almost 30 years!
Is the gravity building something that can be hidden by trees? How tall is it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is the gravity building something that can be hidden by trees? How tall is it?
There's plenty of places where trees (no berm is planned) can block the view because the trees will be close to the viewer. There will be some spots where it will be impossible to hide a corner of the building in the landscape.

There will be zero attempts to hide it from outside the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom