News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, originally that space was gonna be a bunch of princess meet-and-greets and a Pixie Hollow thing. Call me crazy, but I think getting Seven Dwarfs Mine Train instead of that was a good thing.
Pixie hollow was going to be over by storybook circus. There would have been a flat ride and a pixie meet and greet.

Aurora and Cinderella would have each had “enchanted tales with belle” type meet and greet / shows where seven dwarves is now but we would have kept the Snow White dark ride.

UNCgolf

@_caleb I think the issue is that the attractions you listed aren't intended to be e-tickets (well, Rocket Rods, but...). Also, unfortunately, Tron's outdoor visible motion actually detracts from the thematic integrity of the area (IMHO), because it features a "naked" roller coaster track.

This is the issue to me. TRON is supposed to be a major attraction, not a complementary ride. Only Rocket Rods is arguably in that category, but of course it was a failure -- maybe Speedway/Autotopia when first built as well, but no one would consider them one now.

_caleb

This is the issue to me. TRON is supposed to be a major attraction, not a complementary ride. Only Rocket Rods is arguably in that category, but of course it was a failure -- maybe Speedway/Autotopia when first built as well, but no one would consider them one now.
What do you mean by a complementary ride? Like a C- or D-ticket?

UNCgolf

What do you mean by a complementary ride? Like a C- or D-ticket?

Yeah. C-ticket really, although some D-tickets could apply. A ride that's there to help capacity and fill out/add flavor to an area, but not intended to be a headlining attraction.

It's really about expectations rather than the inherent quality of the ride. If Tron wasn't incredibly expensive and hyped as a major addition, it would be easier to ignore some of its flaws. It's sort of the opposite of NRJ, which would probably be considered a relatively good ride by more people (it's certainly not perfect and has some major issues, but has the lush detailing and sense of physical space that many WDW rides have lacked in the past couple of decades) if it wasn't in a land with only one other attraction and a park that has a lack of rides overall. It doesn't live up to the expectations of its wait times, which are long enough to make people expect something more akin to Flight of Passage -- when I was there in January the standby time for NRJ was around 2 hours.

To be fair, it's not a sole headliner at WDW's Tomorrowland since Space Mountain exists. But the ride was built as a headliner E-ticket for Shanghai.

Last edited:

_caleb

Yeah. C-ticket really, although some D-tickets could apply. A ride that's there to help capacity and fill out/add flavor to an area, but not intended to be a headlining attraction.

It's really about expectations rather than the inherent quality of the ride. If Tron wasn't incredibly expensive and hyped as a major addition, it would be easier to ignore some of its flaws. It's sort of the opposite of NRJ, which would probably be considered a relatively good ride by more people (it's certainly not perfect and has some major issues, but has the lush detailing and sense of physical space that many WDW rides have lacked in the past couple of decades) if it wasn't in a land with only one other attraction and a park that has a lack of rides overall. It doesn't live up to the expectations of its wait times, which are long enough to make people expect something more akin to Flight of Passage -- when I was there in January the standby time for NRJ was around 2 hours.

To be fair, it's not a sole headliner at WDW's Tomorrowland since Space Mountain exists. But the ride was built as a headliner E-ticket for Shanghai.
That makes sense. I'm thinking about this because the PeopleMover is probably my favorite ride, precisely because it's a "complementary" ride that provides an overview of all of Tomorrowland.

TRON, however, seems like it isn't one of these because the outdoor portion is extremely limited (how cool would it have been if TRON traversed the entire land!) and the indoor bit doesn't seem have much of a story (haven't been on it yet).

Jrb1979

That makes sense. I'm thinking about this because the PeopleMover is probably my favorite ride, precisely because it's a "complementary" ride that provides an overview of all of Tomorrowland.

TRON, however, seems like it isn't one of these because the outdoor portion is extremely limited (how cool would it have been if TRON traversed the entire land!) and the indoor bit doesn't seem have much of a story (haven't been on it yet).
For me the PeopleMover is alright for what it is. Its a mode of transportation just like the train and the ferry. While Tron looks good but after seeing the specs and the layout of Velocicoaster its not in the same level. Seeing Velocicoaster weave in and out of rocks and the high speed. That's what Tron should have been.

UNCgolf

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that complementary rides are automatically of lesser quality or interest. Carousel of Progress is probably my favorite attraction in the Magic Kingdom, and I love the PeopleMover as well. Neither of them are headliners. I'm also a fan of Na'vi River Journey (which seems to be pretty unpopular here) despite its flaws, although I wouldn't wait an hour plus to ride it (hence the expectations issue). It's probably my third favorite attraction at Animal Kingdom behind Flight of Passage and Kiliminjaro Safaris.

Last edited:

_caleb

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that complementary rides are automatically of lesser quality or interest. Carousel of Progress is probably my favorite attraction in the Magic Kingdom, and I love the PeopleMover as well. Neither of them are headliners. I'm also a fan of Na'vi River Journey (which seems to be pretty unpopular here) despite its flaws, although I wouldn't wait an hour plus to ride it (hence the expectations issue). It's probably my third favorite attraction at Animal Kingdom behind Flight of Passage and Kiliminjaro Safaris.
Thanks.
Also, I appreciate your bravery in admitting that you like NRJ!

UNCgolf

Thanks.
Also, I appreciate your bravery in admitting that you like NRJ!

As sacrilegious as it will sound to a lot of people, I don't think FoP is that much better than NRJ. It is better, don't get me wrong, but I've never felt like I'm actually in another place on FoP -- it's gorgeous and fun, but I'm very aware I'm looking at a screen. NRJ actually makes me feel like I've been transported to a different place because of how detailed it is, which really elevates the ride.

Of course it could (and should) be better with a more clearly defined story (or a story at all, maybe) and a longer ride time, but it's such a relaxing ride through a beautiful environment. If I could ride NRJ with a 30 minute wait or FoP with a 75 minute wait, I'd probably pick NRJ.

Last edited:

pwnbeaver

just wanna say, shanghai has treasure cove. treasure cove is the best area of any disneypark. god damnit disney, bring that to orlando

I've been to Shanghai. Treasure Cove is not that great. It has the cool rocks and pirate ship but the pathways are so massive it doesn't feel like it has a real identity and the weather in Shanghai ruins any immersion it might have if you're hugging close to the buildings. It has a great ride and a great show though!

Tron is going to disappoint a lot of people. I love the ride and think it's an awesome experience. It is also incredibly short. The indoor section is filled with a lot of cool set pieces but the whole ride lasts for around thirty seconds including the launch. If I waited in the two hour line instead of using a fast pass I would have been disappointed. This attraction is awesome but it is not an anchor for a whole land.

Disney Analyst

I've been to Shanghai. Treasure Cove is not that great. It has the cool rocks and pirate ship but the pathways are so massive it doesn't feel like it has a real identity and the weather in Shanghai ruins any immersion it might have if you're hugging close to the buildings. It has a great ride and a great show though!

Tron is going to disappoint a lot of people. I love the ride and think it's an awesome experience. It is also incredibly short. The indoor section is filled with a lot of cool set pieces but the whole ride lasts for around thirty seconds including the launch. If I waited in the two hour line instead of using a fast pass I would have been disappointed. This attraction is awesome but it is not an anchor for a whole land.

Not entirely correct:

Tron from Load to Unload runs about 1:52 - if you count exactly from when it launches to the hard stop in the "light" tunnel, it's about 1:00. (I would say this is disingenuous as the ride starts the moment it pulls out of the load platform in terms of show, so from leaving load to hard stop it's 1:22).

Comparatively a well liked launch coaster, Cheetah Run, is 1:35 from leaving load to hard stop.

Rock'N'Coaster is 1:08 from launch to stop.

Launch coasters typically are fast/short, unless your "Incred-i-Coaster" which is relatively long.

So I guess the question is... are launch coasters worth it?

doctornick

Not entirely correct:

Tron from Load to Unload runs about 1:52 - if you count exactly from when it launches to the hard stop in the "light" tunnel, it's about 1:00. (I would say this is disingenuous as the ride starts the moment it pulls out of the load platform in terms of show, so from leaving load to hard stop it's 1:22).

Comparatively a well liked launch coaster, Cheetah Run, is 1:35 from leaving load to hard stop.

Launch coasters typically are fast/short, unless your "Incred-i-Coaster" which is relatively long.

Not for nothing, but I do like how they made the lift hill on 7DMT into a neat show scene. It's nothing fancy but does make that interesting.

lazyboy97o

Not entirely correct:

The problem is definitely one of perception. TRON Lightcycle Power Run just doesn’t do much. It’s a lot of large curves back and forth. Like so much at Shanghai Disneyland it is needlessly large.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom