News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

geekza

Jim Hill just reported that they ran into foundation issues on Tron. I wonder if he's wrong or if they've just resolved them?

Figment2005

There's some vertical construction on the lot now. Seems to be foundation work.
It's 100% canal rerouting currently. The cranes are placing the molds for the very large concrete retaining walls, and prefab concrete tunnels have been placed in areas where backstage access will be needed.

Location where the ride is going is still just a large pile of dirt, so no ride foundation work has even started.

lazyboy97o

Jim Hill just reported that they ran into foundation issues on Tron. I wonder if he's wrong or if they've just resolved them?
The only kind of issues they could have at this stage is finding something that doesn’t match the geotechnical investigation. Like the sound problem at the Space Restaurant, these are amusing “anecdotes” that sound plausible but are being told before they could occur.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The only kind of issues they could have at this stage is finding something that doesn’t match the geotechnical investigation. Like the sound problem at the Space Restaurant, these are amusing “anecdotes” that sound plausible but are being told before they could occur.
Key question -- how old are the geotechnical assessment results? Could be that the sub-surface has changed in the last 40 or so years...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We've already seen two differing water management permits. It seems they were trying to make the building fit within the confines of the canal and road, and then wound up moving the canal, and now, according to what's being said above, simply burying it.

I could see that as being called "foundation" problems, even though that's an inaccurate use of the term.

RSoxNo1

We've already seen two differing water management permits. It seems they were trying to make the building fit within the confines of the canal and road, and then wound up moving the canal, and now, according to what's being said above, simply burying it.

I could see that as being called "foundation" problems, even though that's an inaccurate use of the term.
Will this affect the Yeti inside the Tron coaster?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The most recent permit shows the canal being re-located and will be "buried" in places.

1537204200520.png

Missing20K

Key question -- how old are the geotechnical assessment results? Could be that the sub-surface has changed in the last 40 or so years...

The age of the analysis isn't necessarily the issue, it's that sometimes what the core borings say differs from what they actually excavate. The core borings are just a small sample taken in various places throughout the site, actual excavation occasionally returns different findings in regards to soils analysis and water table.

Lensman

Thanks for the photos!

BTW, is there any other online community that gets so excited about piles of dirt? Or has discussions, etc.

I'm not saying it's unjustified given the ground compaction that it serves, but I have a hard time explaining this to my friends. (Actually, this is something that I've decided will remain private, so I've never revealed this aspect of my Disney obsession to anyone.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom