Tron Attraction?

Thrill Seeker

You all do realize that CMs need backstage areas correct? That area is the easiest way for CMs to get from Main Street to Tomorrowland and is sometimes used as a short cut for guests too if needed. Sure, there is room for some kind of attraction since the old theater use to sit there before, but you have to keep in mind that backstage areas are necessary... especially at Magic Kingdom...

Thrill Seeker

IMO there is no reason for Buzz with TSMM time for something new in that spot.

Not at all true. First of all, they are in different parks. That's one good reason.

Second, BLSRS was the original shooting gallery ride. The first of it's kind that spawned lots of clones, including TSMM. In that respect it should be considered a classic.

Third, it remains one of the most popular attractions on all of property and it is based on a well recognized film franchise. There is absolutely no reason to remove it what so ever...

Now it is showing it's age and could use some improvements...

Perhaps the non attached guns from Disneyland could come over...Maybe some new targets and special effects... Maybe the spin mechanics could be fixed and upgraded so they don't automatically shift during several points in the ride, not including the photo spot. The ride does need some improvements, but it's still an attraction that has become a landmark in Tomorrowland.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That may be the case, but there are plenty of other "land-locked" areas of MK that set precedent and have service access in more creative ways, and there are about 100,000 better things to do with that space than to serve as a parking lot. There is a reason the utilidors exist.

I'm sure it is convenient, but there is always a better use of the space if they are willing to put forth the effort/thought/$texas

Yes, because after all everyone knows the utilidors are large enough to accomodate an ambulance, fire truck or police car. To say nothing of a tour bus....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You all do realize that CMs need backstage areas correct? That area is the easiest way for CMs to get from Main Street to Tomorrowland and is sometimes used as a short cut for guests too if needed. Sure, there is room for some kind of attraction since the old theater use to sit there before, but you have to keep in mind that backstage areas are necessary... especially at Magic Kingdom...
Indeed. Any proposal for the area would still allow backstage traffic to function as needed and guest flow behind MSUSA east to continue when required. Tink will still fly, and Buzz lightyear ride vehicles can still be removed.

Perhaps the theatre area isn`t ground zero.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
In a word, no. It would be fun and interesting but I don't think it would happen for 4 main reasons:
2. There's no real space in Tomorrowland. The only rides I can feasibly see TDO getting rid of would be Buzz Lightyear, or Indy Speedway, all the other spaces are being used by reasonably popular attractions or spaces too small for anything more then they have now.

what about Stitch's Great Escape?

boy, how horrible would it be to see TRON Astro blasters, or MISSION: Tron, or Space Tron Mountain....

Gregoryp73

The best place for expansion in TL is here across the railraod tracks to the left and behind SM.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.4204571&lon=-81.5769303&z=17&l=0&m=b

Actually, I thought that...I agree with most that turning the indy speedway into a Tron Based attaction would work as well. If you watch the trailer, there is a Tron Car doing 360's about 3/4 of the way through the clip. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to use test track technology (like they are using in cars land in DCA) to create an outdoor race through the land of tron. Heck, with the width of the track it could be a dueling race ride. I don't think they would do cycles though.

Also in the movie, that scene almost looks like it could be a spectator race thing. It would be interesting if they could make it interactive so that the riders could determine the winner. Such as buttons or controls that people would need to use, if they don't do the wrong thing the car "spins out" or loses power...or something. Something to really put people in the "arcade game".

Add LED lights everywhere and have something fun to ride and watch...and you get that petroleum smell out of the future :animwink:

headhoncho34

Original Poster
Actually, I thought that...I agree with most that turning the indy speedway into a Tron Based attaction would work as well. If you watch the trailer, there is a Tron Car doing 360's about 3/4 of the way through the clip. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to use test track technology (like they are using in cars land in DCA) to create an outdoor race through the land of tron. Heck, with the width of the track it could be a dueling race ride. I don't think they would do cycles though.

Also in the movie, that scene almost looks like it could be a spectator race thing. It would be interesting if they could make it interactive so that the riders could determine the winner. Such as buttons or controls that people would need to use, if they don't do the wrong thing the car "spins out" or loses power...or something. Something to really put people in the "arcade game".

Add LED lights everywhere and have something fun to ride and watch...and you get that petroleum smell out of the future :animwink:
A Tron attraction coming to MGM or MK would determine how well the movie does when it is released. A Tron attraction would probably go into MGM since MK just got the major FL expansion.

Lee

Adventurer
IF...and that's a HUGE if....a TRON attraction comes to WDW, it will be in the MK.
Disneyland would be first in line, however, for any TRON attraction.

imagineer boy

The problem with Tron going in Tomorrowland, Tron doesn't really take place in the future does it? Heck, the first one takes place in the 80s!

Lee

Adventurer
The problem with Tron going in Tomorrowland, Tron doesn't really take place in the future does it? Heck, the first one takes place in the 80s!

Tomorrowland has little to do with the future anymore.
(Not that I have a problem with that....so long as they keep 'toons out.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Dosn`t matter. The futuristic theme and concept would fit perfectly.

Let`s just hope the movie justifies an attraction.

the-reason14

As long as the attraction is good, then I'm all for it. Be it a ride or a thrill ride, then it's all good to me. I've never seen tron and the only how I know about it is from kingdom hearts 2.

secretsquirrel

There used to be a Tron scene during the old Disneyland People Mover ride. I loved it as a kid and have hoped for a full-on Tron ride ever since! You can find video of it on YouTube.
"Warning, you have invaded the electronic realm of the Master Computer Program. Prepare for the game grid of Tron!"......."You have escaped Trons game grid for now users. But take heed. Next time you man not fare so well."

This is the link to that youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0lGT5-uGY

Gregoryp73

A Tron attraction coming to MGM or MK would determine how well the movie does when it is released. A Tron attraction would probably go into MGM since MK just got the major FL expansion.

The buzz about this movie is magnificent. I would think that they are already planning a sequel...to green light based on the success of the movie.

imagineer boy

Dosn`t matter. The futuristic theme and concept would fit perfectly.

Let`s just hope the movie justifies an attraction.

Keep in mind though, you'd likely have to start the ride or queue off in the real world, which in the Tron universe is the 80s and 90s which would be an awkward transition. :shrug: Oh well, hopefully they won't make it awkward. But I'd rather see the ride at the studios, make it a big contender against Universal.

But I agree that I do hope the movie justifies an attraction.

RSoxNo1

IF...and that's a HUGE if....a TRON attraction comes to WDW, it will be in the MK.
Disneyland would be first in line, however, for any TRON attraction.

Disneyland could have several E-Tickets in the pipeline pretty soon. I assume a Tron attraction could utilize the old Rocket Rods track?

Having said all that, I really don't have high hopes for Tron. It seems that Disney (and other companies that make movies) are bereft of original ideas, and keep on bringing up mediocre projects from the past (Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Three Men and a Baby for example).

Tron could be an amazing movie, and I could be proven wrong - it lends itself to a heavily themed theme park environment, and potentially a franchise, but I just don't see it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

There's been several attractions in Tomorrowland(s) over the years that aren't really about the future...If you Had Wings/Dreamflight, Adventure through Innerspace, Submarine Voyage, America Sings, America the Beautiful Circlevision....

Tigerace81

Screamscape has repeatedly put on rumors of a possible Lightcycle racers ride on the DL people move tracks. Whos to say it wont happen with the TTA?

Heres the quotes:

2012/2013 - Tron Legacy Ride - Rumor - (4/4/10) Though the concept is still years away, the rumor mill is buzzing with rumors about Disney Imagineers dreaming up wild new ride concepts for a Tron themed attraction for Tomorrowland that could see the light of day as early as 2012 or 2013. And yes Programs… the Light Cycles are said to be the most likely experience to get the green light so far, as Tron Light Cycles are pretty much the visual iconic representation of the Tron universe.
End of Line…
(3/5/10) As wild as it sounds, one rumor going around the Disneyland Resort is WDI is in talks with Vekoma on creating a Tron Lightcycle themed version of their Booster Bike coaster. It’s just a Blue Sky idea right now, but I’m told the coaster system may have multiple launch zones to increase the speed of the ride as you approach and enter into a very twisted finale sequence. Sounds great to me.
(3/4/10) According to Blue Sky Disney, Disney is pushing ahead boldly with plans to not only market the new Tron Legacy film (which could be the first in a new trilogy) but is also likely to drop in little Tron themed areas around many of the Disney parks this fall/winter to promote the film. For example, it’s thought that the Starcade at Disneyland is likely get a Flynn’s Arcade makeover. And then there are rumors about plans being set in motion for a top notch Tron themed attraction, that could likely server as a new anchor attraction for the long-overdue re-launch of Tomorrowland. As for me… I’m still up for putting some Light Cycles on the old PeopleMover track along with a stop inside a new showbuilding where you can experience the Game Grid first hand. Hey, I can dream can’t I?
(11/27/09) With the all new Tron Legacy movie on the way, as well as a new Tron video game experience, I've also heard a rumor that Disneyland may be planning some kind of new Tron themed attraction that could take over the old Peoplemover track. Light Cycles anyone?

And a picture of a Motorbike Train (They really resemble a lightcycle already haha):
p26604.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom