Trip with a twist! May 4th-16th Trip and Proposal report.

Consider this a warning. This trip report is going to be a little long (though, certainly not the longest). But if you're like me and enjoy reading other people's long trip reports, you won't mind. This trip is a bit of a big deal for me, for a few reasons. The first is that this is my first time back to the World in 3 years. This is the longest I've gone between trips, and I've been aching to get back. The 2nd reason is that this trip is a graduation present for my girlfriend, Vicky. Three years ago (my last trip) was our first real vacation together, and Vicky's first real trip to Disney. She'd gone a long time ago with her family, but doesn't remember a whole lot from that trip. Our first trip was a great one, but I was afraid I overdid the "tourguide" thing, showing her everything I knew about the parks. In retrospect, I wish I had let her do all the guiding, map in hand, and discovering things about the parks for herself. Anyway, she completed her Master's degree this month, and when I asked her where she wanted to go for a graduation present, imagine my surprise when she said she wanted to go back to Disney! Finally, the third and biggest reason this trip is a big deal is that I'm planning to propose to Vicky during the trip.

First let's do some introductions. This is me, Dave (28, right) and Vicky, my girlfriend (22, left)
4657621225_dfd7838402.jpg

Our trip was 12 nights, May 4th - 16th, staying in Port Orleans French Quarter. I'll warn you now, our trip was long, and I honestly don't remember everything we did each day, but I'll do my best. Our trip started out perfectly. We arrived on the night of the 4th at POFQ around 8PM. After checking in and unpacking, we both felt the need for food so we hopped a bus for the Magic Kingdom, and jumped on the resort line monorail heading for the Kona Café. We shared some crab cakes and the fondue dessert, walked around a bit (she'd never seen the Polynesian before), and then mono/bussed it back to our hotel.

Now, I mentioned earlier that this trip report includes a proposal, and a fairly elaborate one at that. There are a few surprises involved, and because of them I won't be proposing until the night of Saturday the 8th. There was no way I was going to carry the ring around with me for 3 days straight, so the next morning I told Vicky that I had to run to the front desk and sign another form (specifically, the room key charge agreement). I explained that we had to sign one for each room key that we could charge with, and we had only signed one. It seemed reasonably believable, and it worked. I got out of the room with the ring and deposited it in one of the hotel's safe deposit boxes. After I got back and we had breakfast (we split a breakfast platter and Mickey waffles virtually every morning), we set out for the Magic Kingdom. Although Epcot is both of our favorite park, no trip can truly begin until we walk down Main Street. The Magic Kingdom turned out to be a great choice. We arrived around 10AM, and the park was about as empty as I've ever seen it. We walked onto The Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, The Haunted Mansion, and Philharmagic. Space Mountain turned out to be one of the longer waits of the day at a whopping 10 minutes. We finished up Tomorrowland with the TTA and the Laugh Floor, and then headed back to the French Quarter to relax a bit. I'll be honest, I don't remember what we did that night. I'm pretty sure we ate at the food court at the French Quarter, but neither of us remember how we spent the night (for once, alcohol wasn't a factor! I think…)

4645889849_119939c30b.jpg

Train station on a gorgeous day.

4645890031_5350539c38.jpg

A very, very empty view of Main Street.

4658243998_9ae9702448.jpg

Us. :)

4657621729_eb9ac030d1.jpg

Crystal Palace. I haven't eaten here in years, but I'm thinking I need to go back.

4657621899_acc74679fb.jpg

One of the best land entrances.

4645892197_f4bcea09a7.jpg

Briar Patch?

More to come later. Writing these takes a lot longer than I thought!

disneygirl1

I have tears rolling down my face!!! What an awesome proposal!!! and the fact that you surprised her with both your families being there... WOW!! Vicky is a very lucky woman!!! Can't wait to read more :wave:

emh1960

You made my day!

Thanks for a wonderful mood boost!:sohappy:
Can hardly wait for the rest of the report! Wondering what the other ADR you made is. BTW, I can't believe your success in getting the last minute ADR at Chefs de France:dazzle:, do you have good luck like that often?

crashnuke

Awesome trip report. I'm sitting in my office all choked up with my eyes all teared up and i can't leave because my co-workers would suspect something. I thought for sure that the guy with the Tripod would've been WDWfigment. :(:)

sweetpee_1993

Wow! Killer report! The pics along with your story are great. All the surprises are so much fun. Ugh! And your proposal! That's amazing! You totally blew my grocery store parking lot w/a gumball machine ring out of the water. Lol! Have ya set a date??? Disney wedding???

Can't wait for the next installment!

fyn

Original Poster
It's coming it's coming! The business trip last week left me with little free time, and Vicky moved in with me this week! Life's been busy, I'll try to finish it up this weekend. I promise!

monkeysammich

Wow. What an incredible story.

You've really put me to shame, and now I'm getting endless teasing from my wife. I have no one to blame but myself.

Gucci65

Congratulations to you both!!!

I didn't tear up until I read about your families running up the street - excellent idea!!!

Can't wait to read the rest!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom