Trip report June 2019. My how things have changed. EDIT- now includes an actual report :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I wasn't speaking for myself, just the general opinions I gather from others. :)

In general I would rather go to DLP than WDW.
I know. I think part the problem is a bad reputation (for whatever reason)

We find short trips to DLP wonderful. Obviously Orlando gets longer since there’s more to do. It’s also refreshing to wake up at home and have lunch in Disneyland Parc as opposed to over the Atlantic.

BrianLo

Is max pass the thing you pay for on top of your admission fee?

Don’t get me wrong, the resort was pretty good in 2012. We’ve see step change improvements each year we’ve been. This year was the best yet and surprisingly near full marks.

Yes, I wish it was free (as in Shanghai). I think it would be a harder justification for a family, but for an individual I found it valuable. It's essentially just electronically distributed legacy fast pass.

I guess it was 2013 I went? It was the worst state I've ever seen a global Disney resort. Just prior to the major site wide refurbs. The resort is sooooo much better these days.

I know. I think part the problem is a bad reputation (for whatever reason)

We find short trips to DLP wonderful. Obviously Orlando gets longer since there’s more to do. It’s also refreshing to wake up at home and have lunch in Disneyland Parc as opposed to over the Atlantic.

I guess my roundabout question was why you specifically didn't go for such a long time? Presumably you went to WDW about 5+ times in between. Not a judgement, just curious why Orlando is the main draw.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I guess my roundabout question was why you specifically didn't go for such a long time? Presumably you went to WDW about 5+ times in between. Not a judgement, just curious why Orlando is the main draw.

Money really. Although we do Orlando every year on the cheap thanks to great friends it’s still a chunk of cash as we know. Now I’m better off financially than I was, and we always planned to skip Orlando this year and do Paris and Anaheim instead. We enjoyed Paris so much this year we’re squeezing it again next year along with Orlando and a trip on a big boat. You only live once and all that.

ToTBellHop

Money really. Although we do Orlando every year on the cheap thanks to great friends it’s still a chunk of cash as we know. Now I’m better off financially than I was, and we always planned to skip Orlando this year and do Paris and Anaheim instead. We enjoyed Paris so much this year we’re squeezing it again next year along with Orlando and a trip on a big boat. You only live once and all that.
That’s why we decided to go to DLP for the first time next year before our (first) Med cruise.

Magic Feather

Hmmm... should I piggyback off of Martin’s Trip Report for my own thoughts from my DLP summer visit?
giphy.gif

Bartattack

Good to hear the resort is in good shape. Guess I'll finally have a reason to visit DLP again after all these years. I used to vist DLP regulary (from Belgium) even had an annual pass, untill I started to notice the resort falling apart (literally)... and the begin days of WDS didn't help. It broke my heart to see the park in such bad shape. So I stopped visiting and we started visiting all the other parks around the world... and with some of the great UK deals (that we can also use in Belgium :)), we went to WDW a couple of times the last 10 years. Just came back from Anaheim... and already have a trip booked for WDW next year... but you just convinced me to book a short trip to DLP in the coming months.

Indy_UK

Nice photos and trip report.

We love Disneyland Paris and totally agree when you say about the show quality in Disneyland Park. You can tell the effort has gone in to turn the park around. Everything has been refurbished and is 'like new'

Now it just needs some new rides added to build it out a bit. I would say move flying carpets over but then that may be too many spinners. Mickey and Minnie will probabaly come over but once Star Wars land is open, you know Discoveryland will need a lot of work

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Nice photos and trip report.

We love Disneyland Paris and totally agree when you say about the show quality in Disneyland Park. You can tell the effort has gone in to turn the park around. Everything has been refurbished and is 'like new'

Now it just needs some new rides added to build it out a bit. I would say move flying carpets over but then that may be too many spinners. Mickey and Minnie will probabaly come over but once Star Wars land is open, you know Discoveryland will need a lot of work
Thank you. Yes, Disneyland Parc could do with more capacity particularly in peak season. We took some first timers and they were surprised there is no equivalent CBJ, ETR, COP or HOP type attraction. Fair point. Runway Railway should be going on the Mermaid plot of old in the next few years. Whilst it’s a cheap fix and a thematic disaster you can even see the logic of putting Philhar in Discoveryland - but yes long term it needs to be something suitable and of quality. Same for the behemoth that is Videopolis.

I think my biggest pleasant surprise for the future is that WDSP is getting new breathing space plus new attractions. Not just repacking what’s already there (though as we know they’re also undertaking / taken a large repurpose of what was there too. Just a shame Marvel is so messy)

And the lake should make the second gate a full day destination finally. With hours to match.

Indy_UK

Agreed. Hopefully something original in the WDS expansion but lord knows what they'll do it Discoveryland long term. Maybe it would suit this new. Lack box type swap out attraction.

monykalyn

Middle kid's request for HS graduation trip was trip to France 4 years ago-4 years flying by and booked for next May. Now planning a couple days at DLP, so appreciate the perspective from those who have been multiple times!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Holy ****, I make a short cameo in a martin video - my life is complete.

I took a ton of pics that trip too, wonder if I got any of you! I saw one guy with a fancy setup (camera, and a tablet of some sort with one of those fluffy microphones) but he seemed to be with a daughter.
You do? Where?

Sir_Cliff

Don't mean to hijack Martin's trip report thread, but just thought I'd share some quick observations on DLP from the train back home to the Netherlands. This was a pretty brief trip of two nights at the Cheyenne which doesn't quite warrant its own thread.

Overall, I had the same positive impression as Martin. I hadn't been since early 2017 and the improvement since then seemed massive. For one thing, the effects around Disneyland Parc seemed to be working in near-perfect condition and this really helped underline how much thought went into the design of the park. The smoke drifting out of the teepees at the entrance of Frontierland, for example, lent a wonderful misty atmosphere to the land's entrance drifting into the hub. All the smoke effects which seemed to be working perfectly on Big Thunder Mountain, which is something I had never seen before. This really plussed not just BTM but the atmosphere of Frontierland as a whole. I also noticed the flaming torches over the Frontierland entrance were lit, which was nice to see. Geysers were also working.

Two other general things that caught my attention were the landscaping and the live entertainment. Particularly in Discoveryland and Fantasyland, all the hedges and topiaries seemed perfectly clipped and the gardens all very well tended, very much elevating the park.

The twice daily mini-seasonal fall/halloween parade was fun and popular, and this runs in addition to the daily parade (which I didn't catch this time). The villains show that runs on weekends by the castle was also quite impressive in its use of effects including the castle fountains. Beyond that, it seemed like there were characters all over the park doing meet and greets. I'm not a massive fan of Illuminations, but it all looked good and people seemed to enjoy it. Overall, the entertainment made the park more lively than I remember MK on recent visits.

The attractions both seemed in much better condition than I observed on my last WDW visit and in almost every instance better versions of those attractions. The refurbished Phantom Manor is fantastic and, IMO, a significant improvement on what was there before. Fantasyland rides all looked good, and I only noticed a few figures (in the Ireland section) not working on It's a Small World. I seem to be one of the few who likes Hyperspace Mountain, and that was all looking good, as was Star Tours.

The unsung hero, though, is the new Tower of Terror. I hadn't really heard much about the new version, but we went on it three times and saw three different versions, including different filmed show segments with the little girl who now features. The Imagineers really did a fantastic job of refreshing the attraction and giving it something that helps it to compete with the WDW version.

On the negative side, WDS is a mess. ToT, Ratatouille, and Crush are all still good, but beyond that the park has little to offer right now unless a preview of Maleficent excites you. I guess it will remain so until the new additions begin to come online. Ratatouille's effects, though, were the best I've seen them.

The other big negative was DLP's bizarre tendency to close their restaurants. Everything was fully booked both nights we wanted to eat in the parks (we had to settle for a 17.15 dinner reservation at Captain Jack's on Friday), yet roughly half the restaurants (Walt's, Silver Spur, Agrabah Café) were closed. Food offerings were generally very uninspiring.

Overall, though, it was a great trip. The parks seemed to be doing well, and Saturday was particularly busy. Very much enjoyed the Cheyenne and would happily stay there again. I've now stayed at Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Sequoia, & Newport Bay, and I think Cheyenne was the one I liked the most after Sequoia. One nice touch was that the in-room toiletries were Woody & Jessie branded rather than generic Disney hotel products.

Yet again, didn't see any of the rude guests or grumpy CMs others seem to report. No cutting in line to report, for example.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The other big negative was DLP's bizarre tendency to close their restaurants. Everything was fully booked both nights we wanted to eat in the parks (we had to settle for a 17.15 dinner reservation at Captain Jack's on Friday), yet roughly half the restaurants (Walt's, Silver Spur, Agrabah Café) were closed.

DLP's new president knows about this and is apparently working on fixing it, but I don't know if they will.

I don't know why food at DLP is such an issue. It's about serving paying customers. Why make it so difficult and time consuming and just encourage people to walk out of the parks and go to McDonald's?

Sir_Cliff

DLP's new president knows about this and is apparently working on fixing it, but I don't know if they will.

I don't know why food at DLP is such an issue. It's about serving paying customers. Why make it so difficult and time consuming and just encourage people to walk out of the parks and go to McDonald's?
I'm very happy to hear this as I find it just baffling. Surely the restaurants make money? They're certainly not charging bargain prices.

Another thing that I was pondering is why they don't have more places to buy coffee around the park. They only options seem to be one place that is usually understaffed on Main Street or queuing up at often packed quick service places. In my experience, Europeans are very partial to their coffee!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don’t get it either; one might say it has so many eateries (to rival Disneyland) it can rotate them. Not that I agree with that. I pretty much think out of peak season it’s the norm in Paris. And yes to the coffee issue.

Sir_Cliff

I don’t get it either; one might say it has so many eateries (to rival Disneyland) it can rotate them. Not that I agree with that. I pretty much think out of peak season it’s the norm in Paris. And yes to the coffee issue.
I could see that argument, it's just that all the restaurants were booked up. They were directing people to queue up outside Plaza Gardens as the one place a table might become available earlier in the evening, and people were standing out there being told it would likely be at least 30-40 minutes before something became available.

I don't know if there's also some effort to push people to eat at Disney Village or the hotels. The options at Disney Village also aren't great, though, and at least at the Cheyenne the restaurant (buffet) was pretty slammed later in the evenings.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I could see that argument, it's just that all the restaurants were booked up. They were directing people to queue up outside Plaza Gardens as the one place a table might become available earlier in the evening, and people were standing out there being told it would likely be at least 30-40 minutes before something became available.

I don't know if there's also some effort to push people to eat at Disney Village or the hotels. The options at Disney Village also aren't great, though, and at least at the Cheyenne the restaurant (buffet) was pretty slammed later in the evenings.
It is a conundrum. It’s like the resort has become more popular than they’re aware of. Remys is the most popular and usual has a two weeks out - or there abouts - wait for pre booking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom