Trip report June 2019. My how things have changed. EDIT- now includes an actual report :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
This year we took a four night trip to DLP. Fifth visit, first being 2002 and last 2012. Each trip we’ve seen improvements in quality but this trip I was very pleasantly surprised. Show quality and cleanliness were leaps and bounds better than any previous trip. Yes, there were quality issues but I could list them in the few dozen across both parks. Overall I felt attraction show quality was better than Orlando. And that surprised me.

Four nights at Sequoia in a nice garden view room. Totally refurbished in 2012, the resort still holds its own. Half board plus gave us an all you could eat breakfast buffet in one of two hotel restaurants. Quality was good and range was great. Far better than just the continental offerings of old. We also got a main meal in the parks from a large choice of buffets and TSRs, and surprisingly found we could eat enough mid afternoon we didn’t need a third meal. Maybe just ice cream. And of course length of stay hoppers are included.

Parks were well attended but not rammed (unlike now). Clean. Well kept. Gorgeous landscaping. I won’t judge WDSP as a park for now since as we know it’s about to undergo a huge and long time coming expansion.

In rough order...

Phantom Manor. Near perfect. Wonderful new effects and audio.

Molly Brown. Looked very well kept thankfully. Geysers still working.

BTM - still like new after it’s refurb. Ln2 effects intermittent but there due to supply issues that are being worked on. Lighting looks gorgeous. Sound effects loud. Little things like the departing train steam engine and whistle fully working were a joy. Even smoke from the island chimneys was smoking. AAs working and working fluidly.

Swiss Family treehouse looked fresh. Buckets not working but water wheels were.

Fantasyland was all the worse for a dumbo behind refurb walls but was still fresh. Dark rides were great. Rich colours, animation working. Peter Pans Flight in particular I couldn’t fault. Same for Small World. One ceiling carousel was static, aside from that I didn't see any broken animation.

Star Tours was present and correct in every area. Preshow show quality was great (plenty of Ln2). Hyperspace Mountain was surprisingly fun despite my views of no Space Mountain. And the new cars and restraints are wonderful. Light years ahead of the old painful cars and horseshoe restraints.

Entertainment was in abundance. Afternoon parade was one of quality (and very popular). IllumiNations is no HEA nor was it ever billed to be, but the projections are so crisp, the fountains vibrant and the lasers sharp. Main Street at night with its full LED light package looked amazing (and 99% lit) plus I’ve never seen virtually all the DL hotel lighting working. Is now! The refreshed Fantasia Gardens looked great day and night.

The studios attractions themselves ranged from top marks (Rat and Tower) to confusing (Marvel stage show) - the latter just doesn’t work as a stage show. We preferred Cinemagique. The Mickey show went 101 then the queue was too long afterwards. Rock n Rollercoaster avec Aerosmith looked and sounded great. Shame it’s going bye bye next month. Surprisingly Catastrophe Canyon had every effect working. Swaying props? Check. Sparking power cable? Check. All fire? Check. Multi stage sliding tanker? Check. And of course lots of water. The park is still less than a full day (moreso with 6pm closing) and I look forward to seeing it at night again. It’s been a while.

Disneyland Parc hours however..... wow. EMH gets you in at 830am. Public starts to arrive about 930am and gates open for everyone at 10am. IllumiNations starts at 11pm. You’re still on main street at 1145pm. And that’s every day during the summer. So refreshing (along with legacy Fastpass which.... just works)

We were so impressed we’re going back next spring.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh yes. Some pictures!

2F1A39CC-269E-4EA8-ACAB-A808F3D370EA.jpeg
E3994F0A-5994-4E19-B516-FDA0C18EF9A7.jpeg
2DA1C30C-3128-4BDC-A5F0-6DD22D72F014.jpeg
51BF3072-9F69-4039-A5EB-D6442C557D7B.jpeg
F28ED922-A08C-4CDA-BF48-F7080608002A.jpeg

RandySavage

How well/poorly did they handle the exterior/sightlines of the new Frontierland Theater from the river? Six months ago, they had cleared most of the trees hiding its big concrete box.

Did the mill/water feature get cut from the same new theater (near entrance on blueprints)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
How well/poorly did they handle the exterior/sightlines of the new Frontierland Theater from the river? Six months ago, they had cleared most of the trees hiding its big concrete box.

Did the mill/water feature get cut from the same new theater (near entrance on blueprints)?
Was still closed so couldn’t get close. Walls were just behind Cowboy Cookout.

SplashJacket

And the new cars and restraints are wonderful

This x 1000. Went in June and my oh my the seats were wonderful. Absurdly comfortable to the point I could take a nap in it! That is until you get shot into space...

By far the most comfortable seat. I would love to see it implemented more attractions. Possibly Guardians?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom