Trip in 2009

cathyy

Original Poster
Hi, I have been reading this site for awhile now, and have just decided to post and ask a question.

My husband and I are planning on taking our 2 girls (will be 5 and almost 3) to WDW in 2009. The problem being that the oldest have school vacation from February 16-22, the 16 is presidents day I think, and April 9-17, which is Easter next year. Which time would you estimate would be best? Or my other option could be Dec 20 -25 fo this year.

Thanks so much for your help, I look forward to planning this trip with your guys help!! :)

Nemo14

Hi, I have been reading this site for awhile now, and have just decided to post and ask a question.

My husband and I are planning on taking our 2 girls (will be 5 and almost 3) to WDW in 2009. The problem being that the oldest have school vacation from February 16-22, the 16 is presidents day I think, and April 9-17, which is Easter next year. Which time would you estimate would be best? Or my other option could be Dec 20 -25 fo this year.

Thanks so much for your help, I look forward to planning this trip with your guys help!! :)
We go during President's week every year, and although it can get busy, it's not any where near as bad as April. In fact by the end of the week the crowds are not bad, and the weather is just delightful to us Northerners!

miles1

Just take them out of school, thats what my parents did.:animwink:

I agree, your best bet is to take them out of school while they're little. Kindergarten or first grade work is pretty easy to make up, but by second or third grade I would think twice about it unless your kids are doing very well. The reward is great weather and low crowds, which makes for a great time that you won't be able to repeat when they're older.

We took our son out of school for an annual trip up until third grade with no problem. Next month he will be graduating the eighth grade as the class valedictorian.

Go for it.

cathyy

Original Poster
Thanks for your help, I'm not sure if DH would be up for taking her out of school. I'll check.

coltow

Thanks for your help, I'm not sure if DH would be up for taking her out of school. I'll check.
I understand this if you're paying for school, but to take a 5 year old out of public kindergarden is nothing. How much can they miss in a week, seriously? From I was 10-15 my parents always pulled us out of school every year for at least a few days. After that it was too difficult to miss time so that's when we began family trips in the summer.

DizFanatic

We have 3 boys, and a girl on the way (what were we thinking:hammer:)
We go t to wdw almost every year. Our favorite weather is in October, plus the crowds are real low. Spring break can sometimes be even more crowded than summer. And forget about Christmas week, that is historically Disney's most crowded.

In 2006, we took our kids out of school for the first week of December. We wanted to experience WDW for the holidays, but without the crowds. We're glad we did. All of the holiday extras were amazing. The kids, then were 11, 8 and 4, had no problem being out of school. Our 11yo did have a bit of catching up in 6th grade, but no big deal. We all had, what I think, was the best WDW vacation ever.

You may want to try Election Day week also. Remember to get your absentee ballet!!! But that week is not crowded either. In NJ, we get most or all of the week off from school because they also have the NJ teachers' convention, so it's perfect for NJ families.

Anyway, I can't tell you what is right for you, but we feel it's worth it to take them out of scool if your options are limited, or if you want to enjoy the holiday season at WDW. If you don't mind the heat, the end of august is a good time. While it's still crowded, it's not as bad as earlier in the summer. Most of our trips to wdw are then.

Have a great time!!!

fosse76

Some of you are too quick to pull kids out of school, it's no wonder American students are far behind other industrialized nations (kindergarten or not, school is school). If you can go during a week when kids aren't in school, there is no reason not to. Presidents Day isn't going to be empty, but it won't be unbearable either. So you should be fine then.

jessicaj

This year when we pulled our K-5 student out of school for a few days to go to WDW her teacher said that family vacations can be great learing experiences for the child and the classroom. She even said that real life experience is so valuable and can be learned though experiencing it on vacation. We counted things practiced reading signs and so on all while on vacation. When she got back she shared her experience with the class. Little did she know she was learning a little about public speaking by doing that. The class was able to ask her questions and the learned a little about Walt. It is my opinion that is an awesome way to learn about life!

Oop! I forgot to mention we go in Jan. and we really like that time of year the best as we have tried many other times.

KingStefan

Well DH is not opposed to it so I guess our options are more open. :)

Glad you finally posted - welcome and I hope you like it.

I absolutely agree that now is the time to take them out of school to do this, because the older they get, the harder it is to do. For me, when the oldest is in 4th grade, it is just about out of the question, even if your kid is very bright. It's just too much trouble. But 5 and 3 yo I think is fine.

Given only the option you first provided, I'd choose President's week. Christmas week is extremely crowded, and Easter break, though not quite so bad, is still pretty crowded.

If you're gonna take the kids out of school, and low crowd levels are a priority, then, your choices are more open (of course). By far the lowest period is September. Early-mid Dec is also quiet, and the decorations are up, and you have MVMCP, so that might be the best low-crowd period. Weather is a bit chilly, but not so bad.

Jan-early Feb are good, but avoid President's week - and this year the Super Bowl.

Late April-early May is a good bet, but watch out for Passover (I don't know when it is in 2009). It doesn't add a really big crowd.

One thing to consider is that when crowds are low, park hours are short, and parades and such are simpler and less frequent. So one philosophy says that medium crowds with long park hours are better, which puts the Apr-May time period at an advantage. Plus the weather is fabulous then. It all depends on what you are looking for.

DizFanatic

Some of you are too quick to pull kids out of school, it's no wonder American students are far behind other industrialized nations (kindergarten or not, school is school). If you can go during a week when kids aren't in school, there is no reason not to. Presidents Day isn't going to be empty, but it won't be unbearable either. So you should be fine then.
:fork:OK all judging Fosse76, if the week between Christmas & New Years is WDW's most crowded, children don't usually fare well to a 2 1/2 hour line for a 2 minute ride and parks are usually at capacity every day, what would you suggest for those of us who would like to experience Disney with all of the wonderful Holiday add on's without going that one specific week, fighting the crowds? Funny, but my oldest son is now doing better than ever, pulling off all A's & B's in 7th grade. I guess there is at least one exception to your assumption of the fall of the American student. I mean really now... "kindergarten or not"??? I could just picture my youngest son's first job interview: "Sorry Mr. DizFanatic, I see that you missed your paper snowflake lesson in kindergarten in 2006. Our firm is looking for a man with a more consistant kindergarten record, and yours, I'm afraid, does not quite measure up..."

Oh my god!!!! What have we done to our child!!!

Come on now... One week a year will not ruin our kids. YOu'll understand when you have children (I hope):kiss:

cathyy

Original Poster
:fork:OK all judging Fosse76, if the week between Christmas & New Years is WDW's most crowded, children don't usually fare well to a 2 1/2 hour line for a 2 minute ride and parks are usually at capacity every day, what would you suggest for those of us who would like to experience Disney with all of the wonderful Holiday add on's without going that one specific week, fighting the crowds? Funny, but my oldest son is now doing better than ever, pulling off all A's & B's in 7th grade. I guess there is at least one exception to your assumption of the fall of the American student. I mean really now... "kindergarten or not"??? I could just picture my youngest son's first job interview: "Sorry Mr. DizFanatic, I see that you missed your paper snowflake lesson in kindergarten in 2006. Our firm is looking for a man with a more consistant kindergarten record, and yours, I'm afraid, does not quite measure up..."

Oh my god!!!! What have we done to our child!!!

Come on now... One week a year will not ruin our kids. YOu'll understand when you have children (I hope):kiss:

LOL!

Thanks for everyones opinions. It really helps me out. I guess the thing I keep thinking 1) we aren't probably going to be riding to many of the "long wait" time rides such as space mountain and such. But on the other hand I really don't want to wait forever and ever in every single line we get in either. Realistically a 3 year old is not very patient to be standing in line for any longer than 30 secs. :) I know I can destract her but only for so long.

KingStefan

LOL!

Thanks for everyones opinions. It really helps me out. I guess the thing I keep thinking 1) we aren't probably going to be riding to many of the "long wait" time rides such as space mountain and such. But on the other hand I really don't want to wait forever and ever in every single line we get in either. Realistically a 3 year old is not very patient to be standing in line for any longer than 30 secs. :) I know I can destract her but only for so long.

Maybe not space mountain, but It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, etc., and worst of all, Dumbo will be an unbearable wait at Christmas.

DizFanatic

Sorry for getting on a soap box, but it is a real hot button when somebody comments on how I should raise my kids. I take my responsabilities as a husband and father seriously, and part of that is to provide them (an myself) with experiences that will bring them joy, not only classroom knowledge.

Something about the long lines, most of the more "little kid" friendly rides & attractions can have the longest lines as well. Such as Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mt., Speedway, Mickey's philharmagic and the upcoming Tinkerbelle meet & greet to name a few. Surely the new Toy Story Mania will be a big line as well.

So whenever you go, just have a great time & leave the outside world behind. Don't even watch the news in the hotel room. My family first thought I was crazy with my "no news" rule, but now they understand; the news is usually a list os all the depressing bad things that happened today. It will still be there when you get home.

Be sure to post a trip report and photos when you guys return!:wave:

Timmay

We have taken our son out of school for a week every single year since he was 5 (he is now 12 and finishing up 6th grade). He has always been a solid A and B student...always.

Only one time has a teacher had a problem with it. I asked her to tell me what topics he would be missing in math and that I would help him while we were gone. She told me there was no way he could learn on vacation what he would be missing in class. I helped him study on the airplane on the way out and back. He went back to school on Monday and got a 100% on his math test. He also aced two other tests that week. Teacher never said a word to me again.

Sometimes parents are able to know what is best for their own children. Odd, I know.:shrug:

fosse76

We have taken our son out of school for a week every single year since he was 5 (he is now 12 and finishing up 6th grade). He has always been a solid A and B student...always.

Only one time has a teacher had a problem with it. I asked her to tell me what topics he would be missing in math and that I would help him while we were gone. She told me there was no way he could learn on vacation what he would be missing in class. I helped him study on the airplane on the way out and back. He went back to school on Monday and got a 100% on his math test. He also aced two other tests that week. Teacher never said a word to me again.

Sometimes parents are able to know what is best for their own children. Odd, I know.:shrug:

But that isn't really the problem. Not every kid is able to make up work easily, and most certainly not every parent could help with homework. I mean, I am only good at Chemistry, Physics and Calculus (having an advanced degree in Chemistry and all, it goes with the territory), so if my kids (which thank GOD I will NEVER have) missed any school, those are the only subjects I would be able to help them with. And while some of you will be loathe to admit it, parents often exaggerate the skills of their kids (or turn a blind eye to their faults). Pulling an A student out school for a week to go to Disney World is not what I would call a real-world learning experience. Going to Egypt for two weeks, or Paris, or Moscow...those are learning experiences. A and B students will most likely do fine missing a week's work. Though I find pulling them out later (like 7th grade and above) less detrimental to their learning than when they are younger and still developing their basic skills. And what are you teaching your kids: that Disney World is more important than school. That's what. It's a theme park. A very glossy theme park, but a theme park nonetheless.

WildLodgeFan

But that isn't really the problem. Not every kid is able to make up work easily, and most certainly not every parent could help with homework. I mean, I am only good at Chemistry, Physics and Calculus (having an advanced degree in Chemistry and all, it goes with the territory), so if my kids (which thank GOD I will NEVER have) missed any school, those are the only subjects I would be able to help them with. And while some of you will be loathe to admit it, parents often exaggerate the skills of their kids (or turn a blind eye to their faults). Pulling an A student out school for a week to go to Disney World is not what I would call a real-world learning experience. Going to Egypt for two weeks, or Paris, or Moscow...those are learning experiences. A and B students will most likely do fine missing a week's work. Though I find pulling them out later (like 7th grade and above) less detrimental to their learning than when they are younger and still developing their basic skills. And what are you teaching your kids: that Disney World is more important than school. That's what. It's a theme park. A very glossy theme park, but a theme park nonetheless.

Hmm, I have to pull out my soapbox now. The bolded sentence above indicates that as someone that doesn't have kids and doesn't intend to have any, that you haven't earned the right to weigh in one way or another. But that's IMHO. However the key thing to bring up, is that each child is individual and hopefully their parents are the most apt to make a decision if this is wise or not.

As for DisneyWorld not being educational - what is Epcot? Last I checked, I still learn things there when I visit.

For the longest time we never took the kids out of school - last year was the first time and we have a 9th grader and a 3rd grader. They missed three days near the winter holiday - we went on a Disney Cruise with my in-laws, a present from them. The kids worked witht he school regarding homework and scheduling finals in the case of the oldest during lunch to make sure their grades didn't suffer and they didn't. We were not sure we would have this opportunity ever to vacation together and go out of the country again, so yes, we made the decision to go.

DizFanatic

Hmm, I have to pull out my soapbox now. The bolded sentence above indicates that as someone that doesn't have kids and doesn't intend to have any, that you haven't earned the right to weigh in one way or another. But that's IMHO. However the key thing to bring up, is that each child is individual and hopefully their parents are the most apt to make a decision if this is wise or not.

As for DisneyWorld not being educational - what is Epcot? Last I checked, I still learn things there when I visit.

For the longest time we never took the kids out of school - last year was the first time and we have a 9th grader and a 3rd grader. They missed three days near the winter holiday - we went on a Disney Cruise with my in-laws, a present from them. The kids worked witht he school regarding homework and scheduling finals in the case of the oldest during lunch to make sure their grades didn't suffer and they didn't. We were not sure we would have this opportunity ever to vacation together and go out of the country again, so yes, we made the decision to go.
I agree with you 100%. Besides, a week won't ruin a kids education, however (my personal feeling) a childhood which is too strict and serious, for lack of more proper words, would suck.

Anyway, I can go on & on, but I won't :zipit: because I am proud of my children, I am realistic with their abilities, and my wife and I enjoy the responsabilities of parenting, even when we have to defend our decisions from people who are not (or never will be, "thank god") parents who think they are experts in raising childen. Like the guy at work who tells you how to do your job because they once took a 2 hour class in the subject which makes them an expert.

Well, I guess I did go on & on. Glad that soap box is strong enough for the 2 of us (an our kids):hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom