Treehouse refurb?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Actually.......
They are renovating SGE to a new attraction:

Sanjaya Encounter!

Some more info on this:
As of 4/1 2009, Stitch's Great Escape will be turned into a new attraction: Sanjaya Encounter! This will mark the change of Tommorowland into SanjayaLand. Another speculated attraction for the area: Rockin' Sanjaya Mountain! Sort of like Rockin Space Mountain at DLR, Space Mountain will be transformed into a giant mohawk. Inside the mohawk, is where the new thrill attraction will be located. The attraction will be a roller coaster type ride, while jammin' to Sanjaya's greatest hits. ( COVER YOUR EARS! ) SGE will close 4/1 2008, to make way for the new attraction. Space mountain will close, when Hell Freezes Over.

And Disney thought they got alot of complaints and scared kiddies from AE. :eek:

For those of you who want the treehouse gone..what kind of theme would the ride have for Adventurland? A Tarzan themed-ride? *snort* I don't think so.

Scar Junior

For those of you who want the treehouse gone..what kind of theme would the ride have for Adventurland? A Tarzan themed-ride? *snort* I don't think so.

1. Why is a Tarzan theme so preposterous? It made $450 million world-wide. Way more than Beauty and the Beast... and The Little Mermaid made less than half that amount.

2. Please don't do drugs before accessing the site. :lookaroun

BrerVeritas

Oh, let me clarify.

I wasn't arguing against the Treehouse. I've always been a firm believer in having something at Disney for everyone. I'm glad there are things there for preschoolers, even though I have no kids, and I'm glad there are things there for people who want to sit and rest for a while, even though I usually have plenty of energy.

I was just trying to guess at a trend that might help explain why the Treehouse is so "magical" to some and so "boring" to others. It seems to me that those who get the most enjoyment out of it tend in general to be older than those who don't.

As for computers and video games, I only meant that for me, as a kid, electronic things held a lot more appeal than treehouses. I didn't mean to suggest it had to be one or the other.

-p.b. :cool:

Well, I was also 4 in 1981. My childhood was all Nintendo and Star Wars and all the elctronic gadgets you could ever need. Hey, I still play video games and love them dearly. That being siad the two sides are not mutually exclusive. As a Child I desperately wanted a tree house. I even dreamed of putting my Nintedo up in the tree house so to have the best of both worlds. Swiss Family Robinson was one of my favorite movies as a child and I still watch it right before I go to WDW each time. I have always loved the tree house and it is one of the first things I do when I enter the park. This is not a generational thing its just a preference thing. Just because you are relatively young and don't like the attraction, doesn't mean that it is outdated and the next generation won't get any enjoyment out of it.

There are attraction that I will never understand the appeal of, but that doesn't reall say anything about the attraction itself, but more about me and what I like. Obviously, enough people enjoy the treehouse, not only to keep it there, but also to give it some much needed TLC.

SallyfromDE

Have you seen Tarzan in his loin cloth at the Park? Hot flash!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen him the last 2 Halloween parties, I look for him now!!!

Eyorefan

Okay so a child of the 80s that grew up watching Swiss Family Robinson I have to say I love the treehouse, and yes for me it is magical. Also for people who think that the younger generation won't get it. The movie was released on DVD a few years back so I can only assume that there is another generation of kids out there watching this timeless movie. I know my daughter is.

willythelab

Nostalgia

I hope they never change the treehouse at MK! It is truly one of the beautiful original attractions at the park. When they changed the treehouse at DL, it was the ultimate sellout. That MK treehouse should always be there right next to the Jungle Cruise or is that one gonna change to the Lightning McQueen river experience next! Somethings should just be left alone for posterity and also for future enjoyment. My high horse feels rather good today!

[/quote]1. Why is a Tarzan theme so preposterous? It made $450 million world-wide. Way more than Beauty and the Beast... and The Little Mermaid made less than half that amount.

2. Please don't do drugs before accessing the site. :lookaroun[/quote]

Well, I just don't see a Tarzan ride possible in my mind. But I do love the movie, it's one of my many favourites. :)

*hides the back of marajuana hidden under my matress* :ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
1. Why is a Tarzan theme so preposterous? It made $450 million world-wide. Way more than Beauty and the Beast... and The Little Mermaid made less than half that amount.

2. Please don't do drugs before accessing the site. :lookaroun

Well, I just don't see a Tarzan ride possible in my mind. But I do love the movie, it's one of my many favourites. :)

*hides the back of marajuana hidden under my matress* :ROFLOL:

:lookaroun
Police-Car-Body-Lights.gif

better be careful :lol:

polarboi

I have always loved the tree house and it is one of the first things I do when I enter the park. This is not a generational thing its just a preference thing. Just because you are relatively young and don't like the attraction, doesn't mean that it is outdated and the next generation won't get any enjoyment out of it.

*sigh*...

I never said I didn't like the Treehouse. And I certainly didn't advocate for getting rid of it. On the contrary; I said it should stay.

True, it's not a major attraction for me at all. But I like the atmosphere it lends to the area.

My point was that in general I've heard a lot more pro-Treehouse sentiment from the older visitors and a lot more anti-Treehouse sentiment from the younger ones. I was just observing a trend. I mentioned my own experience (being more focused on electronics and less on treehouses; not having seen the movie) to make a point that I think that experience is more common among younger visitors to WDW. I suspect that the average younger visitor is less familiar with SFR than the average visitor from their parents' generation.

Yes, there are kids who love treehouses and loved SFR. And yes, there are older visitors who would be happy to see the attraction go. But I suspect that the general trend is such that the Treehouse holds more appeal for the older generation, and that as time goes on it will not have as much overall appeal as it did in the past.

I made my comments after spending some time reading through all the posts I could find about the Treehouse and noting the ages of those who responded on each side. It was just an observation, that's all.

(Perhaps I should mention that I'm a statistics geek? :lookaroun)

BrerVeritas

*sigh*...

I never said I didn't like the Treehouse. And I certainly didn't advocate for getting rid of it. On the contrary; I said it should stay.

True, it's not a major attraction for me at all. But I like the atmosphere it lends to the area.

My point was that in general I've heard a lot more pro-Treehouse sentiment from the older visitors and a lot more anti-Treehouse sentiment from the younger ones. I was just observing a trend. I mentioned my own experience (being more focused on electronics and less on treehouses; not having seen the movie) to make a point that I think that experience is more common among younger visitors to WDW. I suspect that the average younger visitor is less familiar with SFR than the average visitor from their parents' generation.

Yes, there are kids who love treehouses and loved SFR. And yes, there are older visitors who would be happy to see the attraction go. But I suspect that the general trend is such that the Treehouse holds more appeal for the older generation, and that as time goes on it will not have as much overall appeal as it did in the past.

I made my comments after spending some time reading through all the posts I could find about the Treehouse and noting the ages of those who responded on each side. It was just an observation, that's all.

(Perhaps I should mention that I'm a statistics geek? :lookaroun)

I was purely noting that your general observations were actually reflections of your own opinion. Liking video games and liking treehouses aren't linked in anyway. As a statistics geek you should recognize the minute size of your sampling.

I can make an equally strong case that SFR would appeal to the "Video game generation" more than many other films citing the very video game-esque quality of the final battle in that film. (Come to think of it...that would make an excellent RTS game.:)) Because of that survival vs nature, pirate battling spirit, the film made its way into my psyche and I now enjoy a casual walk throuh a replica of what I once fantasized about living in as a child.

There's no point in trying to generalize the interest of people. People are intensely individual and so are their interests. Generalizing is how the braintrust at Disney decides to do things like rip out Alien Encounter, Time Keeper, The original Tiki Room, and Mr Toad. It never ends well.

Slowjack

I understand the point you were making. I should point out that I was generalizing, too. I didn't particularly want a treehouse when I was a kid, although I would have taken one if offered, I just meant that there's something about a secret hideaway that I think broadly appeals to kids and the kid in all of us, whether its an actual treehouse or not (I was more into forts made from couch cushions, myself--I was an indoor kid).

And for the record, I don't have much of a memory of the film at all, good or bad. I'm sure at some point I've seen it, but the appeal of the treehouse, for me, doesn't require more than a general understanding of the plot--family stuck on tropical island, makes clever home in tree. So while its possible the appeal of the treehouse may fade, I don't think it has anything to do with people remembering the film.

Also, I was raised on electronics myself. Our family had an Odyssey, the original home video game system, I've been programming since I was twelve, and now I'm a computer science professor.

I know, you're making a general observation. But I think the mistake is in taking people's ages and thinking that tells you why someone likes the attraction more or less. Just to offer a counter-argument...maybe the people who are anti-treehouse are simply in that age bracket when the don't want to be "childlike" for lack of a better term.

polarboi

I know, you're making a general observation. But I think the mistake is in taking people's ages and thinking that tells you why someone likes the attraction more or less.

Which is why I tried to indicate that this was a guess on my part... one that got blown wayyyyyy out of proportion. ;)

Just to offer a counter-argument...maybe the people who are anti-treehouse are simply in that age bracket when the don't want to be "childlike" for lack of a better term.

The Age of Not Believing? :D

I never even knew the treehouse existed until my last trip there, and I didn't have the slightest interest in it once I found out about it.

My daughter was 8 and my son was 5 at the time, and even at that age he was a serious gamer (now even more so). The two of them were so excited about it, though, that they dragged me on to it (my wife went willingly). I have to say we all loved it and the kids immediately went through again. We also did it again later in the week when we came back to MK.

My kids aren't really the "typical" treehouse type, and they have never seen the movie or heard of Swiss Family Robinson, as far as I know, yet they loved it and found it magical. I climbed trees and sat in them for hours as a kid, so this did bring something back for me.

I guess my point is that I think it will continue to have broad appeal to both kids and adults. Making a generalization of my own, I think the people least interested are those in their teen years and young adults without kids of their own. Once you have kids, something changes in you, and you can more easily see the world through their eyes. The treehouse appeals to the "kid" in people, and I think those most in touch with that side of themselves are most likely to appreciate it.

Just my two cents.

MJMcBride

I guess my point is that I think it will continue to have broad appeal to both kids and adults. Making a generalization of my own, I think the people least interested are those in their teen years and young adults without kids of their own. Once you have kids, something changes in you, and you can more easily see the world through their eyes. The treehouse appeals to the "kid" in people, and I think those most in touch with that side of themselves are most likely to appreciate it.

Just my two cents.

My two cents: its dull

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom