Treasures of The Walt Disney Archives Comes To Chicago!

EpcoTim

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sans Souci

Woke up this morning and realized I had nothing to do so I shot on down there. Not bad, nothing that most haven't seen before, but worth a look.
Here's some crappy phone photos.

View attachment 41397
View attachment 41398

*gasp*

You, a Cubs fan, ventured to the South Side?

I went to grad school in Hyde Park! Worst two years of my life! It's where fun goes to die.

Did you get some coffee at Intelligentsia before you went? :p

EpcoTim

*gasp*

You, a Cubs fan, ventured to the South Side?

I went to grad school in Hyde Park! Worst two years of my life! It's where fun goes to die.

Did you get some coffee at Intelligentsia before you went? :p

Walked to the loop and took the bus down and everything. But it's really not the true south side if you don't venture away from LSD. The real south side is a few blocks inland.

Stopped at Pret Manger for coffee, it was awful garbage.

So your major is in strong armed robbery and semi automatic weapons? Or did you go to U of C south?

Sans Souci

Walked to the loop and took the bus down and everything. But it's really not the true south side if you don't venture away from LSD. The real south side is a few blocks inland.

Stopped at Pret Manger for coffee, it was awful garbage.

So your major is in strong armed robbery and semi automatic weapons? Or did you go to U of C south?

LOL. Pretty Manger! I used to live in England and ate their craptastic food before it came Stateside.

I went to UChicago but it was on the south side of the Midway Plaisance. God, I miss walking to my car at 9:30 PM with a gaggle of ladies and a key chain full of pepper spray. I went to UChicago to become a modern day Robin Hood aka social work. ;)

EpcoTim

In true Disney form, they had photopass photographers there, you could have your picture taken in front of a green screen or a crappy exhibit. They even had a girl pressure selling them at the end. No pictures of that, but it was funny. Here's goofy and the giant sign out front.

image.jpg

image.jpg

EpcoTim

LOL. Pretty Manger! I used to live in England and ate their craptastic food before it came Stateside.

I went to UChicago but it was on the south side of the Midway Plaisance. God, I miss walking to my car at 9:30 PM with a gaggle of ladies and a key chain full of pepper spray. I went to UChicago to become a modern day Robin Hood aka social work. ;)

UC south has the great architecture right? The white building?

If your Robin Hood watch yourself at the museum. Pickpockets and scam artists were out in force there. Also plenty of colored shirt tour groups.

EpcoTim

Here's an aerial of the exhibit, kind of budget looking and the diving plane May or may not be symbolic. The red part is the gift shop, right at the exit and everything. Full of cheap crap, all holiday items were a third off, in case you need a goofy with shopping cart ornament.

image.jpg

Sans Souci

UC south has the great architecture right? The white building?

If your Robin Hood watch yourself at the museum. Pickpockets and scam artists were out in force there. Also plenty of colored shirt tour groups.

Aw, come on! Everyone knows it's just disenfranchised youth--just engage in them and they turn around! :p

I am not sure about the architecture on the south side of the campus. I went to 969 E 60th Street, which is a building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, very Chicago Style.

EpcoTim

Aw, come on! Everyone knows it's just disenfranchised youth--just engage in them and they turn around! :p

I am not sure about the architecture on the south side of the campus. I went to 969 E 60th Street, which is a building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, very Chicago Style.

Yeah, one of the disenfranchised "youth" had a rat tail and dirty Sanchez mustache.

Man, 60th south.....that's not really Chicago anymore. But, that area scares the hipsters and tourists so I respect....the building I'm talking about is just west of the tracks, old and very Chicago. The only way it could be more Chicago is if it had a "Cold beer, Old Style" sign hanging out front.

Sans Souci

Yeah, one of the disenfranchised "youth" had a rat tail and dirty Sanchez mustache.

Man, 60th south.....that's not really Chicago anymore. But, that area scares the hipsters and tourists so I respect....the building I'm talking about is just west of the tracks, old and very Chicago. The only way it could be more Chicago is if it had a "Cold beer, Old Style" sign hanging out front.

Hmm, I am not sure which building you're talking about. It could be the UChicago Publishing House or it could be the International House. Yeah, at any rate, the further west you go the dodgier it got, since I was near 63rd. I just felt safer taking my own car than taking the CTA/ Green Line at night.

Anyway, I am going next weekend and I hoping to get some photos to add here. Thanks for your contributions! :)

EpcoTim

Hmm, I am not sure which building you're talking about. It could be the UChicago Publishing House or it could be the International House. Yeah, at any rate, the further west you go the dodgier it got, since I was near 63rd. I just felt safer taking my own car than taking the CTA/ Green Line at night.

Anyway, I am going next weekend and I hoping to get some photos to add here. Thanks for your contributions! :)

Bring a real camera and if I were you I'd re-think that weekend part. Or at least buy your tickets online beforehand and possibly dig up that keychain full of mace, the Disney thing is an add-on they make you pick a time to walk in. Seem familiar?

Nubs70

It will be $9 for Guests & Seniors. D23 Members Gold/Silver receive the Discount for the exhibit..

The Admission to The Museum however is $18 and $20 to park. My Advice go during Free Days as of now they only show Nov 4th & Dec 9th. But, once they update it for next year January has a quite a few dates during that time..You will be able to get into the museum for free but just pay for the Exhibition.
Or join your local zoo or museum as members, often your local organization will have reciprocal admission agreements. This will often allow for free admission into the Chicago museum's.

My sixteen year old daughter and I went to the exhibit on MLK Jr. Day. It was a free day at the museum and a holiday, so it was crowded. Just like WDW. Actually, it was very manageable. If there was something I wanted to get up closer to see or read, I only needed to wait about a minute for things to open up. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes to get through the whole exhibit. The exhibit was kind of like a mini-day at HS. It had elements mostly from "One Man's Dream," which is one of my favorite things about HS, and also artifacts similar to the queue exhibits from the Great Movie Ride and the costumes from the end of the Back Lot Tour. At the end of the exhibit, it's set up like the Animation place where you draw a character with a group. There were a couple of spots with videos where younger kids sat on the floor for a few minutes and seemed to be entertained. Like someone else had mentioned, there were some ipads (maybe 6 or 8) set up with the Disney Animated app, but about half of them weren't working. My daughter has the app and likes it. Just buy it ($9.99) and play with it at home.

Overall, worthwhile, but I'm glad I went on a free day. If I had to pay another $36 for the two of us, I'd say it wasn't worth it. We looked around the museum, but we weren't captivated by much. However, we've been there before. I bought our tickets online for a $3 fee which probably saved us at least 15 minutes in line at 10 a.m. (Even though it was a free day, you still need a ticket to get in.) For the Disney exhibit, you could buy your ticket online, buy it at the ticket counter at the entrance, or buy it at a kiosk near the exhibit. When we were lined up at 11:00 for the exhibit, you could still purchase tickets (for a later time slot), but I noticed later, maybe around 1:00, they were sold out. I'd recommend getting tickets in advance on a weekend or school holiday. If you go on a school day, I'd bet there would be minimal crowds in the Disney exhibit, but you'd have to deal with unruly school groups in the rest of the museum. I know because I've had the pleasure of chaperoning groups like that.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
My sixteen year old daughter and I went to the exhibit on MLK Jr. Day. It was a free day at the museum and a holiday, so it was crowded. Just like WDW. Actually, it was very manageable. If there was something I wanted to get up closer to see or read, I only needed to wait about a minute for things to open up. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes to get through the whole exhibit. The exhibit was kind of like a mini-day at HS. It had elements mostly from "One Man's Dream," which is one of my favorite things about HS, and also artifacts similar to the queue exhibits from the Great Movie Ride and the costumes from the end of the Back Lot Tour. At the end of the exhibit, it's set up like the Animation place where you draw a character with a group. There were a couple of spots with videos where younger kids sat on the floor for a few minutes and seemed to be entertained. Like someone else had mentioned, there were some ipads (maybe 6 or 8) set up with the Disney Animated app, but about half of them weren't working. My daughter has the app and likes it. Just buy it ($9.99) and play with it at home.

Overall, worthwhile, but I'm glad I went on a free day. If I had to pay another $36 for the two of us, I'd say it wasn't worth it. We looked around the museum, but we weren't captivated by much. However, we've been there before. I bought our tickets online for a $3 fee which probably saved us at least 15 minutes in line at 10 a.m. (Even though it was a free day, you still need a ticket to get in.) For the Disney exhibit, you could buy your ticket online, buy it at the ticket counter at the entrance, or buy it at a kiosk near the exhibit. When we were lined up at 11:00 for the exhibit, you could still purchase tickets (for a later time slot), but I noticed later, maybe around 1:00, they were sold out. I'd recommend getting tickets in advance on a weekend or school holiday. If you go on a school day, I'd bet there would be minimal crowds in the Disney exhibit, but you'd have to deal with unruly school groups in the rest of the museum. I know because I've had the pleasure of chaperoning groups like that.

I'm finally going to have the chance to see it this upcoming Friday and I always enjoy MSI as to me it reminds me of Epcot...If it were a Museum..But, there is one thing I like is the Hidden Mickey within Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle..A drawing Walt Disney drew of Mickey & Minnie as the King & Queen of Hearts. It's the Picture on the Lower left hand corner on the wall...Sorry If it's not a great pic tho..
ChicagoHiddenmickey.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I went over Christmas and I keep meaning to post pictures. I have to download them from my camera first. I really enjoyed the exhibit. I was kind of a mini-Walt Disney Family Museum (San Francisco).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom