Treasures of The Walt Disney Archives Comes To Chicago!

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
I'm from Des Plaines (Next door neighbor) And It's still Marshall Fields to us Chicagoans as much as Willis Tower is Sears and Allstate Arena is the Rosemont Horzion..;)
Exactly. I'm a downstate guy she met at WIU but I adopted the city when I dated her. Got married in Park Ridge and reception in Mount Prospect. Spent my wedding night in the Knickerbocker. Thread jack over :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'd be willing to bet that the biggest Christmas tree this year in the center of MSI is going to be Disney themed as well. Last year it was Peanuts themed to match the Charles Schultz exhibit.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Yes, the exhibit opened on October 16. Admission to the museum for non-members and the Disney exhibit is currently $27 for adults and $18 for children. Indoor parking is 20.00 for non-members.

The Better Option as I mentioned a few posts ago..Just go on a free day All you'll have to pay for is the Exhibiton for $9

Being the first day, there were only several Disney related items for sale as we exited the exhibit. That may or may not change as it gets closer to the holidays. As an earlier poster pointed out, last year's exhibit was Charles Schultz & Peanuts and there was an entire Christmas Tree dedicated to Charlie Brown and Friends and a large variety of Peanuts merchadise for sale. So, it's possible the same type of thing will be done for Disney later this year.
Well, The characters will be out in the City on Nov 23rd to kick off the Holidays and turn on the Lights on the Magnificent Mile
http://www.themagnificentmile.com/events/lights-festival/. They might have a freebie or two over at Pioneer Court. Last year they had Peanuts related freebies for MSI so it might be possible they will have something. Even The Disney Store was handing out Light blinkers with Mickey & Minnie and a $10 off coupon for the store Plus Radio Disney was there entertaining the crowds...

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
2 years ago--Dr Seuss for Christmas, last year Charlie Brown for Christmas. I think a Disney theme for the big tree in the main atrium will be lovely!

I'd be willing to bet that the biggest Christmas tree this year in the center of MSI is going to be Disney themed as well. Last year it was Peanuts themed to match the Charles Schultz exhibit.

I am a member of the Museum and I just recieved a brochure for renewing my membership and it does state that the 45 foot grand tree will have a "Vintage" Disney theme to it..

Cosmic Commando

I saw this at the Reagan Library. It was very cool. My absolute favorite thing was the actual telegram that Walt sent from New York when he found out he was getting screwed out of Oswald: "Leaving tonight stopping over KC arrive home Sunday morning seven thirty don't worry everything OK will give details when arrive--Walt" Everything was definitely not OK when he sent that, but it was the beginning of Mickey Mouse. :)

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I just received an email from the Museum and they show how the grand hall will look like during the holidays...Pure DISNEY!
CATW13_GrandTree_0018_396.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
The 2014 Free Days have Been Announced...The Admission to the Museum is Free. The Treasures of The Walt Disney Archive's is $9 to get in..
December 2013 - 9
January 2014: 6-10, 13-17, 20-24, 27-31
February 4, 11, 18, 25
March 10
May 5

MOXOMUMD

The 2014 Free Days have Been Announced...The Admission to the Museum is Free. The Treasures of The Walt Disney Archive's is $9 to get in..
December 2013 - 9
January 2014: 6-10, 13-17, 20-24, 27-31
February 4, 11, 18, 25
March 10
May 5
Thank you. :) I hope to make it after the New Year.

Sans Souci

I just received an email from the Museum and they show how the grand hall will look like during the holidays...Pure DISNEY!
CATW13_GrandTree_0018_396.jpg

Do you know how long after New Year's Day they keep the trees up? I want to say they take them down after the first week of Jan. My friend and I want to avoid the school holiday crowd.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Do you know how long after New Year's Day they keep the trees up? I want to say they take them down after the first week of Jan. My friend and I want to avoid the school holiday crowd.
It's actually a pretty great time to go, after the holiday is over. We did that last year, and it wasn't super busy. I do think that most Chicago schools are on break until around the 5th though, so as @Cmdr_Crimson states, if it's up through Jan 5th, you still might have some kids out of school, but probably not super crazy as those trying to get it in before Christmas (like I'm trying to find a way to do :cautious:).

SAV

Well, it looks like I now have another thing to do between Christmas and New Years. The list keeps growing and growing.

cmanley23

Me and my wife were there last week, the hall with the festival of Christmas trees and the D23 exhibit were awesome! The only problem is watch out for all the kids on their school field trips during the week. We ran into them one day at the Shedd Aquarium and then the next day at the Science and Industry Museum. The two big issues we encountered going through the Walt Disney Archives exhibit were that some of the iPad interactive devices for some displays weren't working and the whole exhibit as a whole was freezing. I mentioned to some employees working there about the iPad's and they just basically blew me off saying that they were always going down and that they had no control on the heating and cooling. Just a heads up, if you decide to go.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We are thinking that we will probably be there on the 27th of December. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy tickets ahead of time or just wait until we get there? Just wondering how busy people think it might be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom