Treasures of The Walt Disney Archives Comes To Chicago!

rob0519

I only took a few shots of him speaking, most of my pics are in the exhibit (and aren't already posted). I did get some great shots in the exhibit, and some really bad one because of the way the shadows were thrown. Unfortunately I live four hours away from Chicago (my parents live about an hour and a half, so I went home for the weekend), so I only got one shot to go to the exhibit.

Your daughters weren't dressed as a princess and Minnie Mouse were they?
No. My daughters are both adults. I made the mistake of turning them into Disney Fanatics long ago. So now Father / Daughter(s) time revolves around Disney or the Blackhawks.

I'll try to put up some pictures. On opening day, some security people said no pictures, others said just to flash, but all said no tripods. I'm not sure what the photography policy is today.

rob0519

DSCF0461.JPG
DSCF0462.JPG
DSCF0551.JPG
DSCF0555.JPG
DSCF0556.JPG
DSCF0558.JPG
DSCF0577.JPG
DSCF0583.JPG
DSCF0584.JPG

rob0519

rjrwdwgirl posted a number of nice pictures from both the exhibit and the Christmas tree. I'm trying to select and post only pictures that are not duplicates of the ones she's already posted.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I made the mistake of waiting around until the very end of Marty's presentation, listening to all his answers, then chatting with another WDWMagic forum member (and family) on my way down from the balcony. When I got downstairs, this is what I saw to get Marty's autograph. My book went unsigned.

IMG_3500.JPG

rob0519

I made the mistake of waiting around until the very end of Marty's presentation, listening to all his answers, then chatting with another WDWMagic forum member (and family) on my way down from the balcony. When I got downstairs, this is what I saw to get Marty's autograph. My book went unsigned.

View attachment 46575
I had no idea what the line would be like, so I left the auditorium maybe 10-15 minutes into the Q&A session. I would guess there were already about 30 people in the line. We had no idea what was going on in the auditorium, but suddenly the line just filled up quickly. I have no idea how long it took Marty to sign all those books.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I had no idea what the line would be like, so I left the auditorium maybe 10-15 minutes into the Q&A session. I would guess there were already about 30 people in the line. We had no idea what was going on in the auditorium, but suddenly the line just filled up quickly. I have no idea how long it took Marty to sign all those books.
There was no way that I was waiting. I gave it 15 minutes or so, but gave up quickly. I can't say that I regret it really. It would have been really nice to get the signature, thank the man for his 5 decades of work, and move along, but it was just moving too slowly.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
There was no way that I was waiting. I gave it 15 minutes or so, but gave up quickly. I can't say that I regret it really. It would have been really nice to get the signature, thank the man for his 5 decades of work, and move along, but it was just moving too slowly.

Boy you'd think they'd utilize Fastpass for this *Snickers*

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Okay so I thought I saw you and was like, no, no, that's not him.
So, now you know, either
a) That's really me in my avatar
or
b) I've stolen my avatar's picture from a Chicago based ultra-Disney fan.

The Q&A was ok. Nothing mind blowing, but I'm glad I stuck around. I'm sure I'll remember the guy who was asking some sort of question about the 90's straight-to-dvd-sequels for quite some time.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
People care about those sequels still?

I think his question was basically "How do you continue to maintain quality in today's fast-paced world" or something similar, but it got lost in sidebars about an old Walt quote regarding a sequel to the Three Little Pigs and Cinderella 2. Marty was kind, answered with a little anecdote regarding the sequels to the Three Little Pigs, and moved along.

rob0519

There were a bit many on the ultra-Disney side of fandom. I guess I didn't find MSI to be a place to wear Mouse Ears and princess costumes?

People care about those sequels still?
I admit, I may wear a Disney Cap or a logo polo, but I'm rarely surprised at the ultra-Disney fan apparel that shows up at events outside the parks. I don't understand the mouse ears and pricess costumes either, but they are harmless. If that's how some fans choose to celebrate a Disney event, I have no problem with it.

Now I'm not sorry about leaving the Q&A to get in the autograph line.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I admit, I may wear a Disney Cap or a logo polo, but I'm rarely surprised at the ultra-Disney fan apparel that shows up at events outside the parks. I don't understand the mouse ears and pricess costumes either, but they are harmless. If that's how some fans choose to celebrate a Disney event, I have no problem with it.

Now I'm not sorry about leaving the Q&A to get in the autograph line.

I wore my Disney Imagineering Polo and got complimented about it...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Just Announced The Treasures of The Disney Archives exhibit is making another Extended stay at The Museum of Science & Industry. It was to close this upcoming weekend but was now extended to August 3rd, 2014. So if you have a chance to go back to see it!
https://d23.com/treasures-of-the-walt-disney-archives-msi-chicago-extension/
Thank you for that. I was going to try and get my folks to see it (huge Disney fans themselves), but didn't get a chance this weekend. Now that it'll be out through the summer, I'm sure I'll get them back over here to Chicago and in there. Plus, it gives me a little more time to plan out a heist to steal some stuff. I'm thinking something small like the book for the "Isle of Naboombu" would take a while for someone to notice :cautious:

KLeigh

The DBF and I went just over a week ago and absolutely LOVED it! He's not as big of a Disney fan as I am, but he really enjoyed it (almost as much as I did).

If you haven't made it to the exhibit yet - GO! You won't be disappointed!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
:eek: OH MY GOODNESS you made my day, my week, my Summer! :D I saw this thread pop up and sighed remembering I wanted to go but couldn't awhile back and figured it had come and gone......WOO HOO! :) Can't make it to the World this year so maybe trip on down to Chicago.....yippee! :)

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Just letting you know there is only 2 more months left of the Disney Archives exhibit at The Museum of Science & Industry and it officially closes Jan 5th.

On a recent trip to see the archives I found out that they will be Decorating the main tree for their Christmas Around the World around Disney once again...
DSC00026_zpsb5809155.jpg

For More information on Christmas around the World go here -->http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/christmas-around-the-world/

Also for Chicagoans The Walt Disney World resort returns once again to celebrate the holidays with the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival on Saturday Nov 22nd.. The Disney Characters will be appearing in the Windy City to kick off the Holidays...More Info Here -->http://www.themagnificentmile.com/events/lights-festival/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom