Treasures of The Walt Disney Archives Comes To Chicago!

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Amazing news for us Chicagoans..The Treasures of The Walt Disney Archives will be heading to The Museum of Science & Industry starting Oct 16th 2013 - Feb 17th 2014. Looks as many of the exhibits are from the Regan Museum exhibition. I for one am glad this is coming. I love The Museum of Science & Industry and this place works well with their exhibits and events they do..To me it reminds me a lot like Epcot and this one fits Perfectly with it.
https://d23.com/treasures-of-the-walt-disney-archives-goes-to-chicago/

Shere_Khan

D23 is presenting it but I imagine you don't have to be a member to go to the museum exhibit?

I am excited for this. Being in MI finally an event I can make it to. Plus my SIL lives in Chicago so it will be a great reason to visit as well.

Mattius

D23 is presenting it but I imagine you don't have to be a member to go to the museum exhibit?

I am excited for this. Being in MI finally an event I can make it to. Plus my SIL lives in Chicago so it will be a great reason to visit as well.

No, you won't have to be a member. I guess there will be an extra fee for the exhibit in addition to general admission. I'm pumped for this! We go to MSI every christmas to see the new exhibit but this one will be even more awesome.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
It will be $9 for Guests & Seniors. D23 Members Gold/Silver receive the Discount for the exhibit..

The Admission to The Museum however is $18 and $20 to park. My Advice go during Free Days as of now they only show Nov 4th & Dec 9th. But, once they update it for next year January has a quite a few dates during that time..You will be able to get into the museum for free but just pay for the Exhibition.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
2 years ago--Dr Seuss for Christmas, last year Charlie Brown for Christmas. I think a Disney theme for the big tree in the main atrium will be lovely!

Plus Don't forget Mickey & The Gang will be Ringing in the Holidays and Lighting up Michigan Ave for The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival Sat November 23rd.
http://www.themagnificentmile.com/events/lights-festival/
If they will be there for the opening of the exhibition and for christmas..This would be Amazing!

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Just a quick Update..They now have More Free Days that have been announced for the Museum. All you will have to pay for is the Admission to the Disney Archives exhibit..

November 4th & December 9th

I'll add the 2014 dates when they become available..

Last edited:

Sans Souci

So, this opened the other day. Has anyone been to see it? What are your thoughts? I was thinking of going to check it out.

Also, if you don't want to pay the parking and you are OK with a short walk, you can park along the Midway Plaisance. I would only do this on the weekend, though. Parking is tough to find there on the weekdays.

rob0519

So, this opened the other day. Has anyone been to see it? What are your thoughts? I was thinking of going to check it out.

Also, if you don't want to pay the parking and you are OK with a short walk, you can park along the Midway Plaisance. I would only do this on the weekend, though. Parking is tough to find there on the weekdays.

Yes, the exhibit opened on October 16. Admission to the museum for non-members and the Disney exhibit is currently $27 for adults and $18 for children. Indoor parking is 20.00 for non-members.

Go to msichicago.org and click on the "What's Here" tab, then select "Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives" for a very detailed description and pictures from the exhibit.

Apparently, Mickey was there for the opening and was gone within the first 15 minutes. Even the museum staff was surprised at the quick exit.

In my opinion this is not an exhibit that will enterain young children as it is the history of Walt Disney the artist and business man. It is very similar to the types of artifacts you would see at the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.

My adult daughters and I enjoyed the experience very much. We took a lot of pictures. Be forewarned, there is no flash photography allowed at any time nor can you use a tripod.

Being the first day, there were only several Disney related items for sale as we exited the exhibit. That may or may not change as it gets closer to the holidays. As an earlier poster pointed out, last year's exhibit was Charles Schultz & Peanuts and there was an entire Christmas Tree dedicated to Charlie Brown and Friends and a large variety of Peanuts merchadise for sale. So, it's possible the same type of thing will be done for Disney later this year.

Here is the description from the museum website:

Explore nine decades of Disney history and artifacts in Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives. Presented by D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, the exhibition celebrates Disney imagination, innovation and entertainment with nearly 300 artifacts, many which have not been widely seen by the public. From clips of Walt Disney's earliest animated pre-Mickey works, to props, models and costumes from modern favorites like The Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Caribbean, the exhibition is full of childhood memories for kids of all ages.
See drawings, props, costumes and artwork from classic and contemporary Disney animation, theme park attractions, TV shows and live action films. A special celebration marking the 50th anniversary of the release of Mary Poppins presents interview clips and rare behind-the-scenes photos. You’ll also visit the world behind the magic through recreations of a working animator’s desk and Walt Disney's own Burbank office. Then you can try your hand at creating movie magic of your own: recording sound effects, exploring Disney's revolutionary multiplane film camera, or learning to draw some of your favorite Disney characters.
Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives is full of discoveries about beloved Disney memories—from Mickey Mouse to Captain Jack Sparrow—and the artists who brought them to life.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This was a major reason I renewed my membership this year to the MSI. I will likely go see this exhibit at least 4-5 times. I'm looking forward to making a day of it in early December, so I can see the Christmas trees and the Disney exhibits both!

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Wife is from Park Ridge for those of you familiar with the Windy City. We try to hit the Walnut Room at Fields (yes I know it isn't' marshall Fields anymore but I'm not going to change :) around the holidays. She can visit friends, we can hit the aquarium, and check out this exhibit.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Wife is from Park Ridge for those of you familiar with the Windy City. We try to hit the Walnut Room at Fields (yes I know it isn't' marshall Fields anymore but I'm not going to change :) around the holidays. She can visit friends, we can hit the aquarium, and check out this exhibit.

I'm from Des Plaines (Next door neighbor) And It's still Marshall Fields to us Chicagoans as much as Willis Tower is Sears and Allstate Arena is the Rosemont Horzion..;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom