Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Sir_Cliff

There is lots of discussion on the French fan forums right now. I am not reading much about the (mini?) land itself but mainly about its (main?) attraction. Here is one comment by the member disneylandmagic:

"the best log* flume ever made at Disney / many AAs / 14 min of ride time / more than 20 scenes"

*People also hint that it might not be a typical log flume ride but using a higher capacity boat as e.g. Jurassic Park - The Ride.
This just sounds so much like a fan's idea for a new Disney ride that I have really struggled to believe it is a genuine proposal from WDI. Must also say that currently living through a wet and cold autumn nearby in the Netherlands, the last thing I would want to go on right now is a Splash-style flume ride!

That said, the Lion King land rumour has proved so persistent and so far I haven't seen any insiders suggest it's not true that I've come to the point of thinking there must be something to it. Maybe the ride won't be exactly as described, but I've yet to see anyone mention any alternatives to replace the mini-Galaxy's Edge.

mrflo

This just sounds so much like a fan's idea for a new Disney ride that I have really struggled to believe it is a genuine proposal from WDI. Must also say that currently living through a wet and cold autumn nearby in the Netherlands, the last thing I would want to go on right now is a Splash-style flume ride!
I agree that it sounds a lot like a paint by number idea. The fact that there are so many fan concepts already out there does not help either - some examples below. I just hope that they will create an immersive, surprising and unique adventure as WDI used to build. Even with an expensive and technically advanced attraction, it would be a disappointment to me if we are getting a standard book report ride shifting from one movie scene to another.

From a climate perspective I am also surprised that they did not choose HKDL for this attraction. This park's climate could handle and would benefit from a water attraction. WDS needs more year-round attractions first. But let's see how they plan to handle the attraction during the colder season if this gets build.

Rumor Lion King Ride and Land
lion_king_concept_1_by_lionadventuresart_ddhrkvc-fullview.jpg

theRealist

I hope there will be also more elements to have "Hollywood though Walt Disney's eyes". It the only park name that contains his first name. Would be great to see more many more references than the partner statue once the renovation of Studio One and Front Lot is completed. I personally would also not mind them adding One Man's Dream and an extended exhibit to the Animation building.

I was visiting the Disney Studio Lot in Burbank, Walt's family apartment in Disneyland and the Disney Family Museum in SF a few weeks ago. There is plenty of rich history and legacy that could inspire the WDI team to add some more heart and soul to WDS.
It's so strange that WDS is the only park that has Walt's name, but at the same time has almost nothing to do with him:
Pixar
Marvel
The Twilight Zone
Tangled
Frozen
and potentially Lion King / Star Wars / Avatar

Just the outside structure of Studio 1, the Partners Statue and the Sorcerer's Hat are linked to him ... simply not enough.

Toni25

I agree that it sounds a lot like a paint by number idea. The fact that there are so many fan concepts already out there does not help either - some examples below. I just hope that they will create an immersive, surprising and unique adventure as WDI used to build. Even with an expensive and technically advanced attraction, it would be a disappointment to me if we are getting a standard book report ride shifting from one movie scene to another.

From a climate perspective I am also surprised that they did not choose HKDL for this attraction. This park's climate could handle and would benefit from a water attraction. WDS needs more year-round attractions first. But let's see how they plan to handle the attraction during the colder season if this gets build.

Oh wait...the Omnimover is actually a great idea.
Why do I feel like that's such a plausible option? Also probably suits the ride better, it's more versatile and practical.

Sir_Cliff

lion_king_concept_1_by_lionadventuresart_ddhrkvc-fullview.jpg

Thanks for posting all of that! It really reaffirms for me the sense that it is a concept fans have been playing with for years (imagine a Lion King ride with a replica of Pride Rock as the facade!) but that if Disney was going to do they probably would have done by now. Again, I guess we'll see. I find the silence of insiders the thing that most makes me think it's at least a serious proposal.

The climate thing, though, really makes me think they wouldn't do this. I know they have Splash at Tokyo, but I really doubt Europeans are going to be keen on a flume ride with any significant outdoor section for large chunks of the year. I went during an unusually cold snap back in February and even Storybook Land Canal Boats was a little painful with a big jacket and gloves! If they're going to invest the $100million+ in a new ride, an outdoor ride that gets you wet really doesn't make sense. If it's an indoor flume ride like Frozen Ever After, well, wouldn't that a bit too similar to Frozen Ever After for a second big attraction around the lake?

UNCgolf

Thanks for posting all of that! It really reaffirms for me the sense that it is a concept fans have been playing with for years (imagine a Lion King ride with a replica of Pride Rock as the facade!) but that if Disney was going to do they probably would have done by now. Again, I guess we'll see. I find the silence of insiders the thing that most makes me think it's at least a serious proposal.

The climate thing, though, really makes me think they wouldn't do this. I know they have Splash at Tokyo, but I really doubt Europeans are going to be keen on a flume ride with any significant outdoor section for large chunks of the year. I went during an unusually cold snap back in February and even Storybook Land Canal Boats was a little painful with a big jacket and gloves! If they're going to invest the $100million+ in a new ride, an outdoor ride that gets you wet really doesn't make sense. If it's an indoor flume ride like Frozen Ever After, well, wouldn't that a bit too similar to Frozen Ever After for a second big attraction around the lake?

I think it would make a bit more sense if they're looking at it as something they can add to Animal Kingdom in a few years, and possibly elsewhere too.

I also think they could potentially do an indoor flume despite Frozen Ever After, both because I assume this would be an E ticket compared to FEA's C ticket (i.e. longer, more detailed, more impressive, etc.) and because Frozen Ever After is more a standard boat ride than a flume.

Jordan dby

I really like the idea of a lion king ride and a pride rock facade visible from the lake, but where does something officially become a "land" if all it brings is a facade and a ride inside it then it is no different to the matterhorn or a haunted house. I think this would actually work (more than a walk through land area which would be hard to fill or replicate - paint the cement yellow and call it a savannahs???).

theRealist

About the climate thing
Apparantly it's not an issue for DLP management, since they think it's smart to build a lake with little to no shelter and without covered walkways.

Ice cold winds, gutting rain ... and then walking all the way to Frozen. Or worse, standing and waiting there to see the parade / shows in the middle of the lake.

So I can definately see them having no problem at all with climate issues when deciding to build a Lion King Splash Mountain.

nickys

Premium Member
There is lots of discussion on the French fan forums right now. I am not reading much about the (mini?) land itself but mainly about its (main?) attraction. Here is one comment by the member disneylandmagic:

"the best log* flume ever made at Disney / many AAs / 14 min of ride time / more than 20 scenes"

*People also hint that it might not be a typical log flume ride but using a higher capacity boat as e.g. Jurassic Park - The Ride.
A water ride in Paris where there’s a good chance of getting soaked? Are they completely mad??? So people get wet and then what? They’re miserable for the rest of the day. I always assumed that’s why Splash Mountain wasn’t built at DLP.

Toni25

Well, I rode Splash in Tokyo in heart of winter and had a great time. It could work.
Of course it could work, the ride could mostly be taking place indoors, with maybe a drop or two that are also inside, with minimal/no splashing on the guests and a final drop section that is outside...I really don't think it's THAT big of a deal or unsuitable for the weather. Summers are super hot anyway, they could turn the sprinklers on and keep it drier for winter.
From what I've read & seen, Tokyo's version doesn't really "splash".
If it's really a 12-minute ride (the way some hinted here), with a queue that's also mostly inside, it could be great cover from the rain. +good marketing for the company to sell raincoats to guests 😅

mrflo

I would use the same argument with Splash Mt. in Tokyo to get one for Adventureland. Though average temperatures in Paris are still lower than in Tokyo. The winter season tends to be a bit harsher in DLP. Europa-Park in Germany has a similar climate as Paris and is closing all of their outdoor water rides during the winter months. I have even seen posts of Splash Mt. in Tokyo where the ride had to close or was pretty much abandoned due to snow.

Nevertheless, I agree that they still can make it work by reducing the amount of outdoor portions of the ride to a minimum and limiting the splash factor during winter. I would have just picked a ride system that is more suitable year-round at this stage of the WDS expansion.

Sir_Cliff

The only way I could really see a Splash-style ride work would be if you briefly emerged for the drop and then quickly disappeared indoors again at the bottom of the drop. In general, you'd have to really tone down the amount of water that gets into the log/boat from Splash, at least during colder months.

I kind of feel that there are ways to work around the issues with this type of ride system to make it work in Paris, but once you start enumerating them the question becomes whether it is the best ride system for a thrill ride in that location. At least part of the thrill with Splash Mountain was, well, the splash. Similarly, rapids rides are in part supposed to be thrilling because you get wet. If that element would make the ride too unpleasant for 6 or so months a year, it suggests that it might be time to looking at other options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom