Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

aalllllyyyyyy

As long as Tom Fitzgerald constantly cuts through and destroys WDIP projects, there won't be anything good coming out of WDIP...
I’d also rather have copies of existing stuff for as long as he’s here. The contrast between exclusive (Flight Force) vs. copy (WEB slingers) is quiet shocking. They don’t have the same attention to detail at WDI for things that are only for Paris and are more encline to cut through budgets for those projects.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Isn't David Wilson also a creative portfolio executive for Paris? Is he involved in the Studios redevelopment as well, or is it purely Tom's show (which could explain the Epcotesque expansion of the Studios)?

fradz

As long as Tom Fitzgerald constantly cuts through and destroys WDIP projects, there won't be anything good coming out of WDIP...
I’d also rather have copies of existing stuff for as long as he’s here. The contrast between exclusive (Flight Force) vs. copy (WEB slingers) is quiet shocking. They don’t have the same attention to detail at WDI for things that are only for Paris and are more encline to cut through budgets for those projects.
Welcome! Bienvenue :)

aalllllyyyyyy

Isn't David Wilson also a creative portfolio executive for Paris? Is he involved in the Studios redevelopment as well, or is it purely Tom's show (which could explain the Epcotesque expansion of the Studios)?
Technically yes but he’s not involved in creative part of projects. He’s here to run WDIP (EDLI).
Welcome! Bienvenue :)
Thanks !

mrflo

They need him for the "Avatar Experience" in DLR and Pandora in WDS (Paris).
Does this mean we will get an "Avatar experience" in Paris rather sooner than later after all? I hope they bring Joe Rohde back for this as he knows how to create the world of Pandora and already has established a great collaboration with James Cameron and his team. They could share development for DLP of what is planned for DLR or adapt what already exists in AK. Hopefully this also reduces the risk of DLP ending up with a lower quality "exclusive" attraction like Ally mentioned. Welcome to the forum, Ally!!! :)

Bruce Vaughn will be essential to fix the direction of WDI overall. He needs to bring some balance to the creative side of the force... uhm WDI. He has recently worked for Airbnb where we can also find Catherine Powell - former head of Euro Disney SCA. I hope the chances for her to come back are high as well. No clue if she is even interested in coming back. But she was the main force behind the rehabilitation program and the initial WDS expansion plan. Catherine always came across as a strong leader to stand up for DLP and hold the US folks accountable.

lazyboy97o

He was WDI VP during the early years of development of this project.
He was Chief Creative Executive. He oversaw all of Walt Disney Imagineering, not individual projects. He’s in the picture because when the big client shows up the bosses get to be there for the wining and dining.

Indy_UK

Josh and Bob are apparently in Paris this week. Hopefully they’ll start making some decisions on the expansion as they do kinda need to get moving on the 2nd land

cjkeating

I was just implying that he was no complete stranger to the project, that's alll.

As exciting as this visit sounds, we've got to remember that Iger- since the opening of Ratatouille- has visited the parisian resort at least once a year in his Burberry incognito coats along with Fitzgerald or Chapek. Now the exact date of this visit is quite intriguing, he usually prefers to tour the resort during the Summer or Fall seasons to painstackingly evaluate how the operation teams handle the busiest crowds of the year. Bob Chapek was quite reluctant about expanding this park from day one. He didn't want WDS to feature its own Galaxy's Edge version or its Lake, for instance. D'amaro on the other hand is much more obedient now that he knows his own job is at stake, he constantly needs to prove to Iger his creativity, so that may help DLP. This will be also the first visit of Iger during which he'll know for a fact that DLP is now the instigator of Disney International parks and resorts and that the destination is currently threaten by the impending arrival of their greatest competitor, Universal, on the european soil. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he greenlights one or two new projects, we'll see...
Will be interesting to see where they are spotted. I know when Chapek was at the resort (before Avengers Campus) he was seen going into the Nautilus with Daniel Delcourt and I thought it was a weird attraction to visit and then shortly after the Nautilus closed and we await its reopening with trepidation...

Visiting on 21st anniversary of WDSP does seem like a date chosen intentionally... wouldn't surprise me if they at least had a Disney Parks Blog post or DLP Press Release with lots of recycled news and maybe a slither of new info. Studio 1 changes or any other placemaking works perhaps?

Robbiem

I could definitely see development of the new lands shared like the two galaxies edges were stateside. Avatarland shared with DLR or possibly shanghai / Hong Kong would be a good bet for one of the lake spots IMO

Sir_Cliff

I was just implying that he was no complete stranger to the project, that's alll.

As exciting as this visit sounds, we've got to remember that Iger- since the opening of Ratatouille- has visited the parisian resort at least once a year in his Burberry incognito coats along with Fitzgerald or Chapek. Now the exact date of this visit is quite intriguing, he usually prefers to tour the resort during the Summer or Fall seasons to painstackingly evaluate how the operation teams handle the busiest crowds of the year. Bob Chapek was quite reluctant about expanding this park from day one. He didn't want WDS to feature its own Galaxy's Edge version or its Lake, for instance. D'amaro on the other hand is much more obedient now that he knows his own job is at stake, he constantly needs to prove to Iger his creativity, so that may help DLP. This will be also the first visit of Iger during which he'll know for a fact that DLP is now the instigator of Disney International parks and resorts and that the destination is currently threaten by the impending arrival of their greatest competitor, Universal, on the european soil. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he greenlights one or two new projects, we'll see...
Why didn't Chapek want to expand DLP or WDS? Just a general aversion to spending money or did he not think there was enough extra attendance to be gained?

Would have thought that WDS was an obvious problem within the parks division from the moment it opened.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's too bad GE has been "paused" (new Disney-speak for cancelled, I guess?) for the WDSP expansion. It's kind of fun to think about what they could do with something like a speeder bike-themed launch coaster or simulator. The latter is probably be a better use of the speeder bike, to be honest. I know they have Star Tours in Discoverland, and I'm just blue-sky'ing here, but the potential... *sigh*...

The plans for Studio 1 are intriguing. I liked that building a lot during my visit and thought it was well done.

Moon knight

Will be interesting to see where they are spotted. I know when Chapek was at the resort (before Avengers Campus) he was seen going into the Nautilus with Daniel Delcourt and I thought it was a weird attraction to visit and then shortly after the Nautilus closed and we await its reopening with trepidation...

Visiting on 21st anniversary of WDSP does seem like a date chosen intentionally... wouldn't surprise me if they at least had a Disney Parks Blog post or DLP Press Release with lots of recycled news and maybe a slither of new info. Studio 1 changes or any other placemaking works perhaps?
He'll be certainly visiting all the recent additions of the resort (e.g. Avengers Campus and the Hotel New York), the ongoing construction sites (Disneyland Hotel, Disney Village, WDS Expansion) and projects that have yet to be officialized or greenlit (Production Courtyard, Studio 1, Fantasyland and Discoveryland expansion pads).

Once again, as I stated yesterday, I don't expect him to announce anything major if he ever speaks publicly on Thursday. His job this day will be to greenlight/ fast-track some old expansion ideas (Pandora, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway ?, a Little Mermaid ride ?, a version of Galaxy's Edge in the back of Discoveryland ?). Those are only mere speculations. Pandora is more likely though. TWDC knows that Universal may come in the very near future with some small attractions in Spain and eventually a UNIVERSAL GERMANY RESORT might be next.

I could definitely see development of the new lands shared like the two galaxies edges were stateside. Avatarland shared with DLR or possibly shanghai / Hong Kong would be a good bet for one of the lake spots IMO
Why didn't Chapek want to expand DLP or WDS? Just a general aversion to spending money or did he not think there was enough extra attendance to be gained?

Would have thought that WDS was an obvious problem within the parks division from the moment it opened.
He did want them to expand, but without the extra lavish features (the park's incoming placemaking, the lake, the new aquatic nightime show, and so on). He didn't belive in DLP anyway...

mrflo

This idea was later abandoned due to a lack of budget and all the money invested in R&D heavily helped Shanghai and Orlando developing their own version, which only copied the plans of the Parisian coaster.
That is essentially the pattern and reality for DLP over the last 25+ years. So much time and money went into making R&D only to have those plans never getting realised and other parks benefiting from it. Without a question, internal plans and plenty of options for further attractions are out there. The same time we are seeing how current expansion projects that are finally actually getting built have budget cuts and are arguably not at the high Disney standard.

I will be absolutely thrilled to finally see new attractions in Disneyland Parc when this actually happens. But Disney still has to deliver on the initial WDS announcement from five years ago. We also should not forget that the DLH and Disney Village renovations are also quite costly. Plus more renovation projects like SM or Sequoia Lodge are already lined up. So even if Bob Iger suddenly plans to invest significantly more in DLP, there is a limit of what can actually be done within the next few years. For my part, I am focusing my hopes on the announced management changes that will hopefully reinforce creativity and quality for all the current projects including a third WDS land.

mrflo

Euro Disney Club members received an email today that there will be the opportunity for some members to join the D23 evening event on April 12th:

"Enjoy an exceptional Gala dinner at the Convention Center of the Disney Hotel New York - The Art of Marvel, on the same evening, with other Disneyland Paris enthusiasts. This dinner will also be an opportunity to be informed about underway projects in our destination."

Based on that wording and some Twitter comments from an internal DLP source, fans should not expect any major new announcement that night. I assume attendees will probably learn more about the upcoming Pixar show, maybe new details of the DLH and - if lucky - new artwork for the English Garden, lake restaurant & Frozen.

mrflo

Are we sure Bob won’t flex his creative muscles and recommend more trees somewhere? 😏

Seems like they did not even need Bob for this. :) I would actually hope for him to question why they plan to put (fake) trees somewhere.

But seriously - some more green space with trees & water features will be very welcome to WDS. It just should not remain the only primarily feature of some areas of the park or added where not really necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom