Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I get the disappointment that the Slinky Dog coaster's theming as it initially appeared in artwork was reduced. But, that's kind of a separate issue from the 'exposed coaster.' Even with the hill and valley and the extra loop, Slinky Dog was always going to be an exposed coaster.

The problem that some seem to have with TSL is that they're holding it up to the standards of the Potter Lands, Pandora, and what we expect of SWLs. But those lands aren't primarily for grade school children. While some children do like those movies/IPs, they are clearly aimed for older children and even adults. But Toy Story is aimed for the younger children (even though adults can like it, too). TSL is a different demographic and a different creature. TSL is aiming for the Storybook Circus crowd.

Just like rides can be E Ticket or D, C, B, or A. Then we should realize some 'Lands' aren't going to be E-Lands, but maybe D or C Lands. When Dinorama gets re-done, will you hold it up to the expectation of a Pandora?

When we look at the old-style 'lands' (e.g., Adventure Land, Fantasy Land, etc...) of DL or MK, we can ding them for bad sight lines or for a mish-mash of stories/IPs. Or for a lack of extensive or inconsistent theming (like confusing 'southern' with 'frontier', or having a Haunted House not fit with either land it abuts). Would anyone consider Tommorowland an "E-Land" as it is now?

So, TSL may only be a D- or C-Land, and purposely so for the demographic it's aiming at.

I've recently had people telling me how important it is to have a bunch of B-, C-, and D-Ticket rides to absorb crowds without creating the problem of an onslaught of even greater crowds. It seems TSL fits that build.

It's just frustrating that the big E-Tickets they're supposed to supplement won't be until a year later.

BlindChow

I love the music!

Shame it's going to change...
I love(d) it too...

I also hate that they changed the great Pier Area music from something that was completely unique into generic ragtime you can hear anywhere. I suppose it's less anachronistic thematically, but geez, at least put some effort into the replacement, like say, the same songs but "ragtimey"?

yensidtlaw1969

The problem that some seem to have with TSL is that they're holding it up to the standards of the Potter Lands, Pandora, and what we expect of SWLs. But those lands aren't primarily for grade school children. While some children do like those movies/IPs, they are clearly aimed for older children and even adults. But Toy Story is aimed for the younger children (even though adults can like it, too). TSL is a different demographic and a different creature. TSL is aiming for the Storybook Circus crowd.
I think the bigger issue is that Disney compared the immersiveness of Toy Story Land to that of Cars Land. Out loud. In public.

As I recall we all laughed it off immediately, recognizing their attempt to force a false equivalence, but it's hard to blame the audience for holding Disney to the standard it is purporting to bear.

I also recall that part of what was amazing about Disneyland when it opened was the way every land managed to speak to the various demographics visiting the park, and continued to across decades. A bold and distinguished element of the park's mission - one that the company no longer sees necessary to attempt in its various park properties.

lazyboy97o

I get the disappointment that the Slinky Dog coaster's theming as it initially appeared in artwork was reduced. But, that's kind of a separate issue from the 'exposed coaster.' Even with the hill and valley and the extra loop, Slinky Dog was always going to be an exposed coaster.

Just like rides can be E Ticket or D, C, B, or A. Then we should realize some 'Lands' aren't going to be E-Lands, but maybe D or C Lands. When Dinorama gets re-done, will you hold it up to the expectation of a Pandora?

When we look at the old-style 'lands' (e.g., Adventure Land, Fantasy Land, etc...) of DL or MK, we can ding them for bad sight lines or for a mish-mash of stories/IPs. Or for a lack of extensive or inconsistent theming (like confusing 'southern' with 'frontier', or having a Haunted House not fit with either land it abuts). Would anyone consider Tommorowland an "E-Land" as it is now?

So, TSL may only be a D- or C-Land, and purposely so for the demographic it's aiming at.

I've recently had people telling me how important it is to have a bunch of B-, C-, and D-Ticket rides to absorb crowds without creating the problem of an onslaught of even greater crowds. It seems TSL fits that build.

It's just frustrating that the big E-Tickets they're supposed to supplement won't be until a year later.
There is nothing about the land's demographics or the scale of its attractions that inherently prevents themed experience and demands themed decor.

MCast

I have to agree with @MisterPenguin: TSL is not aimed at our demographic. As much as I would like a rich, detailed land with an E-ticket attraction, I need to think logically about the needs of the park. Could it have been executed differently? Sure. I don't think it detracts from the park (considering it's whole name will be changed). But makes it a bit more family friendly.

#SorryNotSorry

HMF

I have to agree with @MisterPenguin: TSL is not aimed at our demographic. As much as I would like a rich, detailed land with an E-ticket attraction, I need to think logically about the needs of the park. Could it have been executed differently? Sure. I don't think it detracts from the park (considering it's whole name will be changed). But makes it a bit more family friendly.

#SorryNotSorry
We are going to discuss demographics in a park that was founded on a philosophy of "A place where the parents and the children can have fun together."

CJ @ Disney

Is Toy Story Midway Mania moving? Are they rebuilding the entire attraction within Toy Story Land, or are Toy Story Mania and Toy Story Midway Mania two different attractions?

Blueliner

I love the music!

Shame it's going to change...
I love the music, too, particularly the way it is synchronized with the "humps" toward the end of the ride. Are you able to say what it is changing to and why?

Side note: my first ride on California Screamin' was in light rain, making it nearly impossible to see and also somewhat painful. My wife was not too thrilled to ride in the rain, but I could not bear the thought of being in DCA for the first time and not riding California Screamin'. Ah, what fond memories!

FERRARA12

I think Toy Story land will work if its sandwiched between solid sections of the park. SWL will be on one side. The question is what will be on the other?

One other thought, I'm kind of glad they cut the budget. The stuff cut look like a lot of expense for little effect. I want to see them spend their capital more affectively. (Is it affectively or effectively??)

lazyboy97o

Is Toy Story Midway Mania moving? Are they rebuilding the entire attraction within Toy Story Land, or are Toy Story Mania and Toy Story Midway Mania two different attractions?
Toy Story Midway Mania! and Toy Story Mania! are the same attraction. The two names come out of a disagreement between Walt Disney Imagineering and the parks marketing team. The attractions are advertised as Toy Story Mania! but the signage at the attraction reads Toy Story Midway Mania!.

The attraction is not moving. The entrance is being relocated to the north side of the attraction complex so that access will be from Toy Story Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom