Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Ok. Agree to disagree on this one I suppose. A group at D23 doesn't represent everyone, just like my general statement doesn't represent everyone. I really do think they aren't that thrilled by the invasion of a single IP land. Do you read our Disneyland forum? A very tiny, small amount of people post there but it's not exactly welcomed with open arms, but at the same time, there are a few who are all for it. So .... I'd say it's mixed LOL
Well, this site is also usually the more negative side of the fan base. Or at least the more purist side of the fanbase. If these forums were a church, it'd be the kind that bans harry potter books and rock music.

Kman101

Well, this site is also usually the more negative side of the fan base. Or at least the more purist side of the fanbase. If these forums were a church, it'd be the kind that bans harry potter books and rock music.

I used to think it was a lot of negativity too, but it's just a difference of opinion. Where it gets tired and nasty is when each "side" insists the other is wrong. With a matter of opinion, who's really wrong?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I used to think it was a lot of negativity too, but it's just a difference of opinion. Where it gets tired and nasty is when each "side" insists the other is wrong. With a matter of opinion, who's really wrong?
True, that's why I kinda corrected it to purist. People still seen to be more pessimistic and cynical here if not out right negative.

DinoInstitute

No matter the opinion, it doesn't mean that it isn't heavily negative/cynical around here. I'm not saying it isn't justified often, but it is still negativity.

Goofyernmost

Yep. The truth hurts.
So does hyped up truth. In fact, I'd say they are equal in harm factor. We are fortunate to have a few really good insiders on this board, but, even their reportings are humanly slanted toward what they like or dislike. It's not like Iger himself is coming on the boards and giving us the straight scoop about the inner workings of Disney. Even if he did, there are so many that wouldn't believe it anyway unless he was being tortured and water boarded. Maybe not even then. We get fairly accurate reports about what is happening, but, when the why's are pushed into it, it is strictly conjecture. We don't know the why's, we guess or their sources are speculating and the most common guess is because Disney, or any portion of Disney, is cheap and won't spend the money. That causes negativity in huge amounts and the thing is that we don't really know if that is the reason or not. It is just what is easiest to believe when we don't really know what is involved with running a theme park. We all know how to go to one and what we like or dislike, but, we do not know how it is done on a day to day basis without creating pure clusters.

If you have an upper level in a business like The Disney Company, you are paid major bucks that you don't want to lose and you are also not going to be allowed to shoot off your mouth if you know the real reason why things happen. And if they do, those people are history in quick fashion. Only a few know the truth and it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where the leak came from. So, the information is reliable only to a degree. What something will consist of may not be a problem to let out, however, what the decision making process was to do whatever they do will remain a very closely guarded secret. That you can bet on.

Last edited:

jensenrick

Same and same.

What we really should have gotten was Monsters Inc. taking over the Streets of America area, Cars Land taking over the backlot,

Wow, another mention of the idea that CarsLand could have come to DHS. I recall the days (not that long ago) when merely suggesting that it might be plausible was cause for a fiery stream of pointed derision. My, how times have changed. :)

Sped2424

Wow, another mention of the idea that CarsLand could have come to DHS. I recall the days (not that long ago) when merely suggesting that it might be plausible was cause for a fiery stream of pointed derision. My, how times have changed. :)
The pointed derision came from people still saying it was happening or alive when they didn't have any backing to prove it (after the project had been stated to be cancelled for dhs more or less). Not that the idea existed as it very much did albeit in a different form than the DCA one.

Goofyernmost

Basically there were only two real directions that the Carsland discussion went. There was the camp that thought it shouldn't be there because, well, there was already one in California. (like that does someone on the East Coast any good at all) and the obvious other side of people that thought it would bring a new and long needed life to a dying park. The second group were not wrong, the first group had reasons that were hard to understand or make any logic of. So when it was wiped out of the running there were a number of people that were very disappointed about it.

The current TSL contains not one thing that I have any interest in. My exposure to TSL will come only as I walk through it to get to SWL. Unless they are selling Mickey Bars for less then $5.00 there, I foresee no reason to stop. Carsland would have had me in that area for a much longer time. It would have gone a long way to keeping people there and not overloading MK. Might even be as big as MK with the over 10 year old set. I sometimes wonder if WDW is afraid of success with sustainability.

EdC

The current TSL contains not one thing that I have any interest in. My exposure to TSL will come only as I walk through it to get to SWL. Unless they are selling Mickey Bars for less then $5.00 there, I foresee no reason to stop.

I know that my wife would say the exact opposite. She has no desire to watch any of the Star Wars films, it was difficult to drag her on to Star Tours even. This said, the obvious reason for TSL is something new at DHS that precisely isn't SWL.

Kman101

I have some interest in Slinky Dog Dash but the potential lack of theming around it has made me lose some interest and it depends on it's length and actual thrill. I'm not going to be getting on Barnstormer 2.0.

I think having the Woody area would have been a unique feature to our land and that's one of the reasons I keep getting bummed about it being cut (though it was probably nothing more than a meet and greet and I feel like a ride might have been cut from there). Swirling Saucers could be fun and I've yet to go on Mater's (I haven't been to DCA since 2008, though I'm trying to get there next year so I may indeed have no interest in A-S-Saucers once it debuts). I also have had little desire to re-ride Toy Story Mania. I think it's a lame excuse for a "dark ride" and Toy Story deserves better than a Wii game in a warehouse.

I'm trying to be optimistic about the land but they would have been better off at this point building CarsLand AND Toy Story Land. They're missing the mark on DHS "expansion". JMO.

doctornick

So does hyped up truth. In fact, I'd say they are equal in harm factor. We are fortunate to have a few really good insiders on this board, but, even their reportings are humanly slanted toward what they like or dislike.

So true. I appreciate the info that insiders provide, but it's important to realize that is passes through a "filter" of their personal opinion and to take into account how that colors what is being said.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There were a bunch of permits today for TSL including for installation of the two rides. Most have Whiting Turner as the contractor, but the two ride installations are being done by ADENA Corporation. I haven't seen Disney use this contractor before, but they have done ride installation for other companies including Falcon's Fury for Busch Gardens and ferris wheel on International Drive.

200 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-200 - Ride Installation
400 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-400 - Ride Installation
800 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-800-02 - Area Development
585 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-585 - Building Modifications & New Addition
480 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-480 Maintenance Building
400 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-400-04 - Completion Package

cjkeating

There were a bunch of permits today for TSL including for installation of the two rides. Most have Whiting Turner as the contractor, but the two ride installations are being done by ADENA Corporation. I haven't seen Disney use this contractor before, but they have done ride installation for other companies including Falcon's Fury for Busch Gardens and ferris wheel on International Drive.

200 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-200 - Ride Installation
400 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-400 - Ride Installation
585 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-585 - Building Modifications & New Addition
480 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-480 Maintenance Building
400 Ascot Dr - DHS BOH Project A-400-04 - Completion Package

The first two permits have an expiration date of March 2018 which got me excited but the rest are December 2018. :rolleyes:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
my point being avatar has many Dec 2018 permits yet the land is opening this summer

Yes, but all the major Avatar permits use that date. The fact that they put an earlier date on the ride installation permit then the others indicates to me they aren't just throwing a date that is arbitrarily in the future. These dates would support a summer to fall 2018 opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom