Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

roveness

I think what was was announced is more then enough to offset what has already closed. The big question for me it, how much more will close to make way for these. That might imbalance the equation.
SOA, and LMA are rumoured to go away. In my opinion an e ticket attraction will go in that area. I highly doubt they will get rid of lighting McQueen and maters meet and greet.

Cosmic Commando

Buzz's spaceship box, and some kind of building behind it. Restaurant? Shop?

View attachment 106090
I think it's just the queue for the Alien spinner. It looks a little bigger than the space for Mater's in DCA, but there could be bigger crowds with less to do in this park and I don't know how often they fill the Mater's queue.

The building between the new TSMM entrance and the restaurant is probably the bathrooms, right?

I actually liked this a lot better than I was expecting to, until people started saying that this was it. DHS needs more than what's been announced. And they still will only have two rides without height requirements! There's a good amount of larger rides... I'd like to see them fill in with themed C-tickets in the back. Mater's songs make Mater's Junkyard Jamboree fun, and I'm hoping they'll have some cool lighting or other effects here to do the same; I didn't find the ride itself to be very exciting.

My only real concern is will you get a big honkin' view of backstage when you're on the Slinky Dog coaster near the back of the Alien spinner? I know Test Track does it, but it's not really what I had in mind for this "immersive" new land.

roveness

That time frame seems about right to me. Story Book Circus took almost a year and a half. There is a lot of detail in this land, and as you said a lot that needs to be moved to build it.
Nothing was built in storybook circus. Dumbo got moved from the old location. Barnstormer remained unchanged.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nothing was built in storybook circus. Dumbo got moved from the old location. Barnstormer remained unchanged.

Technically speaking they built one flat ride since the moving of the existing Dumbo and building the second and queue building was about the same amount of effort that would have been required if they build the whole thing from scratch. With that said, this does illustrate my point, there wasn't that much involved with Storybook Circus and it still took a year and a half.

culturenthrills

So what looks like a low capacity coaster(like Seven Dwarves, that will have to shutdown everytime there is a thunderstorm) and a low capacity flat ride. I'm sorry theming or not this is lame. I'm sorry they are going the cheap route. With crowds that Star Wars is gonna bring they really needed to put in a high capacity dark ride. Just not excited at all and knowing Disney it will take them 3 years to build this.

Cosmic Commando

If this really is 11 acres it's a travesty.

If it's half that it will serve its purpose well.
I tried to eyeball it based on the size of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree in relation to other parts of the concept art... I think the whole land looks roughly the size of Cars Land without Radiator Springs Racers. That would make it somewhere around 6 acres. I think you could fit the Slinky Dog coaster on one side of Route 66 in Cars Land, and the bathrooms, Alien spinner, restaurant, etc. on the other side of Route 66.

All IMO, of course. And based on concept art.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I tried to eyeball it based on the size of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree in relation to other parts of the concept art... I think the whole land looks roughly the size of Cars Land without Radiator Springs Racers. That would make it somewhere around 6 acres. I think you could fit the Slinky Dog coaster on one side of Route 66 in Cars Land, and the bathrooms, Alien spinner, restaurant, etc. on the other side of Route 66.

I did a rough sketch

image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Disney has said it will be 11 acres.

Kman101

It really is wonderful you are pleased with this.... I'm sure that's just what BOB iger and the exec team were hoping - you get two rides. It would have been nice to fill the 12 acres with more than two attractions - the two new rides IN ADDITION to maybe parachute drop and RC (although, RC would not eat enough people!) It's disappointing the 12 acres will not bring a NEW e-ticket - just an expanded space for one we already have.

No one really should have expected an E-Ticket with Toy Story Land. Not justifying it but they see Mania as serving that purpose IMO. I'm just hoping we get another land down the road with an immersive dark ride experience. I'm disappointed in the lack of that the most so I understand why many are sort of deflated by Toy Story land but it's starting to come across as people who were never going to be happy with it and are finding any reason to NOT be about it.

orlando678-

One thing that confuses me though, is where do they keep the"Disney" part of the park. It looks like its just Pixar, Lucas and old Hollywood, but I would have loved a toontown, black and white shorts, disney animation or even a villain land. I hope they figure something out.

Kman101

What about Streets of America, former backlot, and lights motor action. In my opinion there's still a chance for a monster Inc coaster, or radiator springs.

Cars Land is just begging for that spot. I can see if we are getting it why they'd hold off annoucning it. Odds are it will be Cars Land-lite and to be fair we already have one in a domestic park. Toy Story Land and Star Wars gives us things we haven't really heard about already. Cars LAnd would have underwhelmed everyone if it was announced. I can see them keeping that for whatever 'new park name/plan' they announce (in 2017 at the next D23?)

devoy1701

My two cents.....parachute drop would destroy some sight lines....leave it be.

Why is there even discussion about this and carsland? Would it be nice to get cars land? Maybe. Than again this is a giant leap in the right direction. Done right this can be a fun emersive place. The coaster looks very promising and is being overlooked by many of the negative nancys IMO.

Let disney prove they grew a brain cell.
(Drops mic)
i just hope the theming and immersion is up to the same level. there is a big difference between have a greenery area with a few themed rides and show buildings vs completely theming a land to make you feel like youve walked right into the story.

Kman101

So what looks like a low capacity coaster(like Seven Dwarves, that will have to shutdown everytime there is a thunderstorm) and a low capacity flat ride. I'm sorry theming or not this is lame. I'm sorry they are going the cheap route. With crowds that Star Wars is gonna bring they really needed to put in a high capacity dark ride. Just not excited at all and knowing Disney it will take them 3 years to build this.

I can kinda see your points but you've walked through the land already? You know the coaster is lame and the land is cheaply built? Good to know. Maybe just maybe the rides will, you know, be fun?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom