Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hogsmeade only had one ride, was very small, and had a dead end. If Disney spent that much money on a single ride in a small area we would have just as many complaints as we do here now.

Hogsmeade has 2.5 rides, a show attraction, and numerous shops and a restaurant that are attractions upon themselves. Honestly a single shop in hogsmeade has more character than most of TSL.

Yes, at opening it only added one ride... but to say that’s at it is is being intentionally obtuse.

phillip9698

Hogsmeade featured a highly innovative state-of-the-art e-ticket with a long, impeccably detailed line as well as major makeovers to two other rides. Just as importantly, it also featured tons of unique, intricately themed stores that serve as attractions in and of themselves. Not that the dead end thing matters, but Hogsmeade isn’t one, connecting to both JP and LC.

People can defend TSL all they like, but by absolutely any measure it utterly pales in comparison to Hogsmeade. It’s actually an insult to the Uni land to place them in the same category. And the fact that their costs are at all comparable is a massive indictment of WDW.

Having been here and on numerous others Disney boards and forums a while I can tell you that people would have complained if it was just one ride. People are complaining that Pandora and Star Wars only have two and the Star Wars area is getting two state of the art E-tickets! I'm not here to compare the two areas, I'm just saying building an area with only one ride (no matter how well its themed) would have definitely gotten the pitchforks raised whether you believe that to be fair or not. It's quite surprising my post was taken as an indictment against universal when if anything it speaks to the extremely high and often unrealistic expectations of hardcore Disney fans.

My post was not drawing a direct comparison to the areas whatsoever so please do not try and frame it that way. Im saying the Toy Story area doesn't need the Harry Potter treatment. They would get a lot more customer bang for their buck filling it with cheaper rides (some kid pleasers) that are well themed and a large indoor play area. That park could have used something like that desperately especially with Star Wars looming. You give the Harry Potter treatment to Star Wars (with more than one new ride) which by most accounts is what they plan on doing.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Having been here and on numerous others Disney boards and forums a while I can tell you that people would have complained if it was just one ride. People are complaining that Pandora and Star Wars only have two and the Star Wars area is getting two state of the art E-tickets! I'm not here to compare the two areas, I'm just saying building an area with only one ride (no matter how well its themed) would have definitely gotten the pitchforks raised whether you believe that to be fair or not. It's quite surprising my post was taken as an indictment against universal when if anything it speaks to the extremely high and often unrealistic expectations of hardcore Disney fans.

My post was not drawing a direct comparison to the areas whatsoever so please do not try and frame it that way. Im saying the Toy Story area doesn't need the Harry Potter treatment. They would get a lot more customer bang for their buck filling it with cheaper rides (some kid pleasers) that are well themed and a large indoor play area. That park could have used something like that desperately especially with Star Wars looming. You give the Harry Potter treatment to Star Wars (with more than one new ride) which by most accounts is what they plan on doing.
I think you’re getting very confused about degrees of criticism and broader context. SWL looks very promising. That said, given the prominence of the franchise (and the fact that DL wanted at least one extra attraction), it is fair to suggest SWL could have used more rides. This is a relatively minor complaint. The lacklustre nature of TSL is a much more glaring target for criticism. In fact, the justified criticism of TSL also adds intensity to the criticisms of SWL. Together, TSL and SWL (and MMRR replacing GMR) do not fix MGM, which they were meant to do. SWL and a Pixar Land with an e-ticket would have come close. SWL, two new e-tickets, and replacements for shows that are over two decades old would have fixed it.

Potter saved Uni, but IOA was already a better park then MGM before it opened. Any calls for more rides in Pandora stem from the fact that RJ is barely a ride and that AK, while WDWs best park, needs a couple more attractions. If you added a new area to AK now, one e-ticket and a c-ticket or show would be fine. Context is key.

phillip9698

I think you’re getting very confused about degrees of criticism and broader context. SWL looks very promising. That said, given the prominence of the franchise (and the fact that DL wanted at least one extra attraction), it is fair to suggest SWL could have used more rides. This is a relatively minor complaint. The lacklustre nature of TSL is a much more glaring target for criticism. In fact, the justified criticism of TSL also adds intensity to the criticisms of SWL. Together, TSL and SWL (and MMRR replacing GMR) do not fix MGM, which they were meant to do. SWL and a Pixar Land with an e-ticket would have come close. SWL, two new e-tickets, and replacements for shows that are over two decades old would have fixed it.

Potter saved Uni, but IOA was already a better park then MGM before it opened. Any calls for more rides in Pandora stem from the fact that RJ is barely a ride and that AK, while WDWs best park, needs a couple more attractions. If you added a new area to AK now, one e-ticket and a c-ticket or show would be fine. Context is key.

There have been numerous discussions that Disney should not open a new area with one or two rides, period. So creating a Hogsmeade with one new attraction and zero meet and greets as Universal did, would not have been universally praised, no matter which park it was built in. Don't take that as my personal belief on the matter, it's a conclusion I've reached after seeing the reaction to numerous planned and completed Disney additions. There are clearly different expectations when it comes to Disney and Universal additions.

Furthermore it seems you are trying to include my post in a discussion I'm not trying to enter, as I never said toy story land couldn't use more attractions in fact every post I have made indicates it could. What I have said is that you don't need to go to the level of a Hogsmeade to make a Toy Story area a success as there are other lower cost solutions that Disney could have included that they choose not to include at this point.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Nope. I have visited TSL in Paris and it is not the rubbish like many who haven't visited think of. It is a cheap but fun and cheerful addition to Walt Disney Studios. It added some new rides when the park desperately needed them. It isn't of course the best Disney has to offer but it is also aint the worst. The theming is of course not compaired to that of TSL in DHS but its purpose was to add some capacity to the park with not a lot of attention to detail. And it does.

TSL in Paris:
Rc Racer: 1,000 riders per hour
Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin: 2,000 riders per hour
Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop: 1,900 riders per hour.

TSL in DHS:
Slinky Dog Dash: 1,900 riders per hour
Alien Swirling Saucers: Fewer than 1,000 but let's say 1,000 for now.

So TSL in WDS, when it opened added capacity that equaled 4,900 compared to the 2,900 in DHS. And it also has a gift shop!

Where did you get those capacity numbers from? None of them are anywhere near correct.

JohnyKaz2078

So what you are saying is unless someone actually does the research those numbers that you displayed as fact will remain and continue to mislead everyone. You don't work for the government do you?

I searched the numbers (riders each time, duration of the ride, the number of trains in the tracks for Slinky Dog Dash) and made the calculations myself. If I have said anything wrong you're free to correct me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I searched the numbers (riders each time, duration of the ride, the number of trains in the tracks for Slinky Dog Dash) and made the calculations myself. If I have said anything wrong you're free to correct me.

Your SDD figure is counting 3 full trains out on the tracks, but it's only 2. Two are on the tracks while 2 are in the reload station. So, the number is more like 1,100 pph.

Casper Gutman

There have been numerous discussions that Disney should not open a new area with one or two rides, period. So creating a Hogsmeade with one new attraction and zero meet and greets as Universal did, would not have been universally praised, no matter which park it was built in. Don't take that as my personal belief on the matter, it's a conclusion I've reached after seeing the reaction to numerous planned and completed Disney additions. There are clearly different expectations when it comes to Disney and Universal additions.

Furthermore it seems you are trying to include my post in a discussion I'm not trying to enter, as I never said toy story land couldn't use more attractions in fact every post I have made indicates it could. What I have said is that you don't need to go to the level of a Hogsmeade to make a Toy Story area a success as there are other lower cost solutions that Disney could have included that they choose not to include at this point.
This is subjective, but I feel very strongly that you are wrong here. Had Disney opened Hogsmeade, with its incredibly immersive stores and major e-ticket, in any park other then MGM or EPCOT, the reaction would have been largely euphoric. Had they opened it in EPCOT, the reaction would have been euphoric but with comments that the land isn’t a thematic fit. Had they opened it in MGM, the reaction would have been euphoric but with comments that the park still needs more. For evidence, look at Pandora, which has been very, very warmly received despite its 1.5 rides and the lack of immersive shopping or atmospheric entertainment. Or look at Carsland - the reaction might have been very slightly more subdued without the flat rides, but it would still be considered a masterpiece.

But I’d agree expectations for Uni and Disney are different. Uni added Springfield, which I’d argue is roughly equivalent to TSL - themed area around existing e-ticket with flat ride, lacking bare coaster but featuring themed eateries - and it was recieved as what it was, a nice, small addition. Unlike Disney, Uni didn’t promote it like a major addition, and fans didn’t pretend that it was legitimately half of a long-delayed makeover of a broken park.

fuentesalex

I went to DHS today to see TSL.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the “Pixar Studios” sign has been taken down.

SDD was a fun little coaster. Everyone enjoyed it. was ok. Not worth a long wait for sure.

I knew to expect some sightline issues based on what I’ve read here. And yes in parts you see the Chinese Theater and ToT. But I was shocked to see how much of Star Wars land you see from the land..both on foot and from the coaster. Will be interesting to see how that view changes once SWL and the transition is finished.

Bartattack

Toy Story Parachute Drop has 24 people for a 60 second ride... so about 1440 per hour. But this is without loading/unloading and if every seat is filled. So it's probably much less than 1440.
Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin is (under optimal conditions) about 1500 an hour.
and RC Racers about 700-800 an hour.

lazyboy97o

Hogsmeade only had one ride, was very small, and had a dead end. If Disney spent that much money on a single ride in a small area we would have just as many complaints as we do here now.

IMO you don't need that level of theming in a Toy Story area. What you need are more cheap rides with short waits and a huge indoor play area. You can take classic flat rides and just theme them to look as though a kid improvised them with whatever he had on hand.
Hogsmead is actually similar in size to Toy Story Land, if not larger. Not sure how it is a dead end. That it was just one new ride isn't the issue, it shows what the money is capable of actually producing, be that a single world renowned attraction or multiple small rides and playgrounds.

lazyboy97o

Toy Story Parachute Drop has 24 people for a 60 second ride... so about 1440 per hour. But this is without loading/unloading and if every seat is filled. So it's probably much less than 1440.
Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin is (under optimal conditions) about 1500 an hour.
and RC Racers about 700-800 an hour.
Intamin publishes the capacity for their parachute drop and surf rider (half pipe coaster).

Toy Soldier Parachute Drop has 36 seats and a max capacity of 720 people per hour.
https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/parachute-tower/

A standard surf rider has a max capacity of 600 people per hour. Increasing from 12 seats to 20 seats increases that to 1,000 people per hour.
https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/half-pipie/

Goofyernmost

Hogsmead is actually similar in size to Toy Story Land, if not larger. Not sure how it is a dead end. That it was just one new ride isn't the issue, it shows what the money is capable of actually producing, be that a single world renowned attraction or multiple small rides and playgrounds.
Pretty sure it dead ended. In other words you had to double back, at the time, to leave the area. There was no other exit that I recall. Now with the train there is an alternative, but, only for those that have a two park admission.

Jones14

Pretty sure it dead ended. In other words you had to double back, at the time, to leave the area. There was no other exit that I recall. Now with the train there is an alternative, but, only for those that have a two park admission.
It was one way in, one way out for opening, but that was for opening week crowd control, and it still connected to Jurassic Park via the bridge near the castle.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

1531095450410.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom