Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

17F63715-592B-4525-9CB6-B26CD8994B6F.jpeg

yensidtlaw1969

Shorter wait rides as filler is what's needed and is what TSL is. It's to take the rides at Galaxy's Edge down from 3 hours each to 2 hours each.

My mind is still boggled by how low capacity these attractions are given the way DHS is desperately in need of high capacity attractions. One Haunted Mansion-style people-eater could have done all the lifting of Toy Story Land (excluding the already open Toy Story Mania) in a fraction of the space with three times the entertainment factor.

TP2000

A storm just passed through the area and all the outdoor rides were temporarily down for over an hour, so those kinda wait times are very normal after a storm comes in. Everyone heads to the indoor rides during the storm causing those wait times to go up then once the storm passes and the outdoor rides reopen, everyone who had a fastpass for those rides while they were down, rushes back all at once.

Ah, Florida. ;)

Goofyernmost

I never seen trucks with screens before until now.
I've seen a few around the Raleigh area advertising local businesses. I have wondered if that is all that they do is drive around and advertise. I guess it would make sense that it is their only job. I'd like that job. I have to be concerned about how much of a distraction that must be on the highway. I know that I spent a lot more time looking at the trucks then the highway. That seems like a formula for bad things to happen.

smile

couple thoughts

capex only justifies itself once online, exposed to criticism...
other than raw numbers, which can negate feedback, there's no purpose in assuming a particular matter was handled other than satisfactorily without criticism;
thus, if felt, it needs to be made known that it is absolutely not cool to lack shade for a queue in a climate such as central florida's

additionally, there's also two interconnected valuation perspectives at play here -
the perceived value of the addition to guests, which, in turn, affects the valuation of wdi's work for twdc...
if the valuation of wdi's work for twdc suffers, which in many ways it has (always a battle), then by logic that is a negative consequence for new and exciting capex, which is why anybody should/would care

cwoms197

I persaonally believe that there is going to be a phase 2 to this land. Pixar place has no use and instead of using it as backstage they could put more back in there. I’m hoping for an RC Racer attraction to come to the land on the future. I still think there is a lot of room stil for development of the land and ideas from the previous concept are they can use for any future expansion.

ToTBellHop

I persaonally believe that there is going to be a phase 2 to this land. Pixar place has no use and instead of using it as backstage they could put more back in there. I’m hoping for an RC Racer attraction to come to the land on the future. I still think there is a lot of room stil for development of the land and ideas from the previous concept are they can use for any future expansion.
Not really possible since it’s a road surrounded by TSM and MMRR.

Timothy_Q

Disney intentionally stayed away from RC Racer and Parachute Drop because they're infamous sightline issues.

They're spending a ton of money on SWL.
They wouldn't ruin the whole thing just for an extra carnival ride like that.

phillip9698

$250 million is nearing Hogsmeade territory. The budget was plenty large enough for this to be “done right” and “top quality.”

Hogsmeade only had one ride, was very small, and had a dead end. If Disney spent that much money on a single ride in a small area we would have just as many complaints as we do here now.

IMO you don't need that level of theming in a Toy Story area. What you need are more cheap rides with short waits and a huge indoor play area. You can take classic flat rides and just theme them to look as though a kid improvised them with whatever he had on hand.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Hogsmeade only had one ride, was very small, and had a dead end. If Disney spent that much money on a single ride in a small area we would have just as many complaints as we do here now.

Hogsmeade featured a highly innovative state-of-the-art e-ticket with a long, impeccably detailed line as well as major makeovers to two other rides. Just as importantly, it also featured tons of unique, intricately themed stores that serve as attractions in and of themselves. Not that the dead end thing matters, but Hogsmeade isn’t one, connecting to both JP and LC.

People can defend TSL all they like, but by absolutely any measure it utterly pales in comparison to Hogsmeade. It’s actually an insult to the Uni land to place them in the same category. And the fact that their costs are at all comparable is a massive indictment of WDW.

JohnyKaz2078

Toy Story play land in Paris is rubbish though?

Nope. I have visited TSL in Paris and it is not the rubbish like many who haven't visited think of. It is a cheap but fun and cheerful addition to Walt Disney Studios. It added some new rides when the park desperately needed them. It isn't of course the best Disney has to offer but it is also aint the worst. The theming is of course not compaired to that of TSL in DHS but its purpose was to add some capacity to the park with not a lot of attention to detail. And it does.

TSL in Paris:
Rc Racer: 1,000 riders per hour
Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin: 2,000 riders per hour
Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop: 1,900 riders per hour.

TSL in DHS:
Slinky Dog Dash: 1,900 riders per hour
Alien Swirling Saucers: Fewer than 1,000 but let's say 1,000 for now.

So TSL in WDS, when it opened added capacity that equaled 4,900 compared to the 2,900 in DHS. And it also has a gift shop!

Goofyernmost

Hogsmeade featured a highly innovative state-of-the-art e-ticket with a long, impeccably detailed line as well as major makeovers to two other rides. Just as importantly, it also featured tons of unique, intricately themed stores that serve as attractions in and of themselves. Not that the dead end thing matters, but Hogsmeade isn’t one, connecting to both JP and LC.

People can defend TSL all they like, but by absolutely any measure it utterly pales in comparison to Hogsmeade. It’s actually an insult to the Uni land to place them in the same category. And the fact that their costs are at all comparable is a massive indictment of WDW.
Anyone that even attempts to compare the two have serious problems. Both have different audiences and themes. There is nothing one can do for a "Toy Story" venue that could even begin to mimic Hogsmeade and its target audience. However, I would rather have a million TSL's then one Harry Potter that was only designed for thin people and the fact that I have not been able to ride it because my stomach is a half inch to big will not be forgiven. They could have spent 100 billion on it and it would have no impact to me. TSL is a completely different intended experience and is designed for the younger set or the younger at heart. SWL is the only possible point of comparison to Harry Potter. Trying to compare Potter and Toy Story is the same as comparing the Prime Rib to a Chicken Hot Dog. Both have a target, but, not the same one. If everyone wanted only the Prime Rib, no McDonalds would currently exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom