Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disneyhead'71

And during the daily thunderstorms in summer? And when it ends up on CNN every time it has a rollback?
I fail to see your point.

Funny story. On the Grand Opening day for Top Thrill Dragster, a young female CBS reporter who stated she is not a big fan of roller coasters was previewing the ride. It was about 40 degrees in late april and she was going to ride it on live TV. They launched and almost made it over the top and it rolled back. They had a camera on her face the whole time and she was absolutely convinced they were going to die. It hit the break run. They reloaded and before she could catch her breath they launched again. That time it made it over the top. By the end, she could barely "tag out" ("I'm Yada, yada, yada. In Sandusky, Ohio.").

I'll post the YouTube later, I'm at dinner with family.

kpilcher

="I can see why some would consider it a C Ticket. I just think it is an amazing combo of tech and ride system to create a great illusion.
I lean towards C. And I am, overall, HUGELY impressed with Diagon and all that Universal Creative pulled off. (one trick in particular showed me the joy of forced perspective anew while meeting a crucial safety need). There is so much more going on operationally and transitionally than even the above-average guest will recognize without close examination. The HWE queue is beautifully detailed (albeit ridiculously long. Feels as long as Indy at DL or security at OIA). The walk through the wall gag is ok. Had to have a preview CM show me what I should be looking for. (I'm seasoned at this stuff. I should have been wowed without coaching. I saw the actual trick without prompting. I thought there would be more.). The reveal of the train on the platform is pretty close to perfect. The steam. Hedwig. Brickwork. Props. Entering the train itself was flawless. The hallways and cabins of each car are beautifully detailed. THEN you see the HDT.. Errrr.... "Window" where most of the show takes place. LOVE the idea. Like the script and elements chosen. But the footage of the film actors doesn't marry well with the CGI, IMO. It's a perspective problem mixed with the screen being a smidge too perfect. Who has ever been on a train with windows that "clean." Simulated smudging would have helped a bit. The other side of the show (on the frosted doors) works near close to perfect for me. MUCH better than the "window." Unfortunately -- Hermoine especially sounds AWFUL. Took me right out of the story (like 70s Disney read-alongs). Harry a little less so. But everything before and after the ride itself is just fantastic. A few small tweaks and it could be a D+ or E Ticket with very little added $$Investment. I hope they go back and take another pass.

ToTBellHop

I fail to see your point.

Funny story. On the Grand Opening day for Top Thrill Dragster, a young female CBS reporter who stated she is not a big fan of roller coasters was previewing the ride. It was about 40 degrees in late april and she was going to ride it on live TV. They launched and almost made it over the top and it rolled back. They had a camera on her face the whole time and she was absolutely convinced they were going to die. It hit the break run. They reloaded and before she could catch her breath they launched again. That time it made it over the top. By the end, she could barely "tag out" ("I'm Yada, yada, yada. In Sandusky, Ohio.").

I'll post the YouTube later, I'm at dinner with family.
My point was that your idea would cause Space Mountain to close daily in the summer and would make national news (because it's Disney) every time a rollback occurred, which is frequent with this ride type. Although it's a fun idea for Roller Coaster Tycoon!

Disneyhead'71

My point was that your idea would cause Space Mountain to close daily in the summer and would make national news (because it's Disney) every time a rollback occurred, which is frequent with this ride type. Although it's a fun idea for Roller Coaster Tycoon!
OK, both you and I know that Disney would NEVER bring such a beast to their parks. But all the parks in Orlando have attractions that are at the mercy of the weather. And I don't do the Roller Coaster Tycoon thing.

The attraction I described is very much in the realm of doable outside the fantasy world of Roller Coaster Tycoon. And, as you said, these types of systems are prone to rollbacks. That's why I went with 250' instead of the 400' that is typical of these types of coasters. But 250' with a top hat roll at the top would ba EPIC!

msteel

top thrill dragster says otherwise.

Please note that I did not say "lift hill" but rather simply "hill." I don't know if the elevated track section of top thrill dragster is technically considered a hill but I think that theming it would be about as difficult as theming a lift hill so I think my point stands.

And, I despite the fact I said that it's too bad Disney can't incorporate huge roller coasters, I really don't think Disney needs to incorporate these types of huge coasters. They are simply offering a different product from Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks. There is a place for both.

In the end I expect the Slinky Dog coaster to be quite popular, and I think the "Andy built this in his backyard" story looks like it will work as a way for Disney to handle an exposed track coaster. Much more fitting than the Dinorama story at least.

Donald Razorduck

OK, both you and I know that Disney would NEVER bring such a beast to their parks. But all the parks in Orlando have attractions that are at the mercy of the weather. And I don't do the Roller Coaster Tycoon thing.

The attraction I described is very much in the realm of doable outside the fantasy world of Roller Coaster Tycoon. And, as you said, these types of systems are prone to rollbacks. That's why I went with 250' instead of the 400' that is typical of these types of coasters. But 250' with a top hat roll at the top would ba EPIC!

I wonder how many folks would not ride Rockinrollercoaster at Studios if they knew it looked like this inside the building
xpress2012.jpg

Last edited:

matt9112

That's an extra flat ride, not much to help fill out a day. There is also any fears caused by the apparent speed of the launch. The park is dominated by rides with heigh restrictions and that will not be helped by either announced addition.

maybe people should stop bringing two year olds =P just pking fun but honestly any 4 year old can ride pretty much everything. (meet the 40") resort wide.

matt9112

I wonder how many folks would not ride Rockinrollercoaster at Studios if they knew it looked like this inside the building
xpress2012.jpg

probably the same exact amount....like dragon challenge....millions of people every year ride unenclosed roller coasters mostly unthemed and it is highly likely that they think nothing of it while they do. some of the best ride experiences i have ever had are unthemed (for our purposes) montu in tampa is one of the smoothest rides ever and has mild yet effective theming. in fact that example is a great exception to the rule where an exposed coaster is blended very well with alot of trench use and line of sight barriers.

matt9112

:banghead: So Dumbo and TSMM are E-tickets also? Because they are hugely popular with massive lines.

There's nothing whatsoever about Soarin' which is E-ticket. Neither will the Avatar screen ride be.

soaring may not be "E" ticket to you but to Disney it achieves the same purpose, i agree it is not amazing but is still a very well done...film.

matt9112

I think that may be a lot of artistic license. Not saying there won't be trees, but I wouldn't expect a forest either. If you look back at previous concept art, they go very heavy on trees and backgrounds that just don't materialize.

tree shortages....get it. =)

matt9112

The fact that rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates are considered E Tickets disproves your incredibly wrong accusation.

he said some. the same some that wont go to disney world past age 11....because they realized what a 250 foot drop at 85MPH feels like.

doctornick

Assuming the vehicle stops under the "Super Laucher" bridge to be launched, I hope there is a show scene there under the bridge with some AAs informing the riders about the launch. Everything else looks to be outdoors on the Slinky coaster and wouldn't result in much more than simply movements -- hoping we do get some kinetics with Rex, the Parachute guys and the pinwheel.

note2001

Anyone else hearing that pizza planet is being moved to this area?
I didn't get that out of the announcements, but It would make sense to have it nearby, such as near an entrance to the area but not in the area itself (Andy's backyard). If indeed it is being moved, please let it look a bit more reminiscent of the movie version, and less like Mama Melrose.

G00fyDad

Anyone else hearing that pizza planet is being moved to this area?

Nothing concrete. Nothing but rumors so far. A lot of them, but nothing more than rumors at this point. Strategically it make sense to have a Pixar related item in the Pixar area. Especially one that relates so closely to the new land being built. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to make the cut. I think Pizza Planet is going to go away and not be transferred. Toy Story land is supposed to be the representation of toys Andy builds in his backyard as a playland for those toys. Unless they come up with an idea that he built a restaurant for them I don't see it working out. Personally I think we're going to get a generalized quick service place in Toy Story land and Pizza Planet is going to go away in favor of Star Wars land. Of course there's no reason why the new quick service place couldn't be a reimagined Pizza Planet.

Last edited:
I hope in at least one of the new attractions coming will have a ride photo! I feel that the slinky dog coaster will either have one after the drop or on the launch. From the ride deceptions in SWL there is little chance! But with the rumors maybe the Monsters INC door coaster ride will have one or if Cars Land comes Raditor Springs Racers will have one or the other E-Ticket ride in Cars land will have one!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom