Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

tonymu

Premium Member
I agree. It was stressful that way. There's just a resentment towards MyMagic+. No one seems upset that other parks offer digital fastpasses. Of course that doesn't mean the program here isn't flawed and could be made better and maybe more fair. But I much prefer it to the old way. (I like how Disneyland mixes digital with paper, I've long thought they should have kept the individual attraction kiosks for FP's and you walk up scan your band and snag a good time. You should then be able to go into MMP and edit it and change it. There's a lot that could have been done)

I like being able to change my time, switch FP's, etc. I like booking on my phone. I know it isn't for everyone though, but it's not going away and you can slightly game it if you try (not gaming it in the way that caused them to crack down, I just mean you can work it to your advantage if you try). I know the stigma is having your phone out constantly but I rarely pull out my phone.

If someone goes in resenting something they'll never like it.

There's pros and cons to both versions of FP. Personally I wish there was no FP. And I wish you couldn't book them a zillion months in advance.
Agree 100% The parks were much more enjoyable before fastpass.

HwdStudio

That’s what they want you to say.
Probably but I visit “attractions” all over the world without a ride in site. I didn’t coin the term “attraction”. I don’t necessarily agree with it but it is what it is. I also fall into the camp that feels DHS really needs more “rides” but by definition the “attraction” count is not that low. The majority of “attractions” at DHS don’t interest me in the slightest are most were one and done but among those attractions are some of my favorite rides that are must do.

jhastings74

Thanks for sharing, as always!

One thing that I kept focusing on in the photos were the trees...between Star Wars area and Toy Story Land and then other trees around the area. It made me wonder if they just keep a specific, significant amount of mature tree varieties on hand at their tree farm, just for these occasions (new lands, new resorts, etc), or if they know WAY ahead of time of any blue-sky ideas and then get to work on preparing all potential necessary vegetation. These aerials show a good number of mature trees placed around the area, so I'm wondering if they ever have to space out (timeline-wise) any additions or changes based on availability of mature trees like these.

My guess is that they have plenty of whatever they need in general, and if they need to in a crunch, they can just subcontract out to a wholesaler?

Anyhoo...just thoughts from the photos. Keep 'em coming!

andysol

There is a Photospot for Slinky right here on the final turn.

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 10.41.34 AM.png

Toy-Story-Land_Full_32411.jpg

Marc Davis Fan

Judging by these latest aerials, I am now fairly confident that - even apart from the attraction lineup - this land will be significantly better that the other iterations. With higher acreage and more props ("toys"), it seems like the land will be more conducive to walking around and discovering the clever details throughout, making it a more, well, immersive experience. It certainly won't be Pandora or Galaxy's Edge (or even Hollywood Boulevard or Frontierland), but I think it will be a real step up from Toy Story Playland. I'm looking forward to exploring this land.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Judging by these latest aerials, I am now fairly confident that - even apart from the attraction lineup - this land will be significantly better that the other iterations. With higher acreage and more props ("toys"), it seems like the land will be more conducive to walking around and discovering the clever details throughout, making it a more, well, immersive experience. It certainly won't be Pandora or Galaxy's Edge (or even Hollywood Boulevard or Frontierland), but I think it will be a real step up from Toy Story Playland. I'm looking forward to exploring this land.
Been saying that from the onset. I am not claiming this land to be something its not, but from the beginning we knew it would be a better iteration than the others.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing, as always!

One thing that I kept focusing on in the photos were the trees...between Star Wars area and Toy Story Land and then other trees around the area. It made me wonder if they just keep a specific, significant amount of mature tree varieties on hand at their tree farm, just for these occasions (new lands, new resorts, etc), or if they know WAY ahead of time of any blue-sky ideas and then get to work on preparing all potential necessary vegetation. These aerials show a good number of mature trees placed around the area, so I'm wondering if they ever have to space out (timeline-wise) any additions or changes based on availability of mature trees like these.

My guess is that they have plenty of whatever they need in general, and if they need to in a crunch, they can just subcontract out to a wholesaler?

Anyhoo...just thoughts from the photos. Keep 'em coming!
Disney have an onsite tree farm for regular landscape maintenance, but most of the special projects like new lands require Disney to source trees from outside suppliers. I know during DAK construction Disney bought up pretty every tree in Florida. It impacted regular landscape work in Central Florida because Disney was draining every supplier to meet the demand.

andysol

Been saying that from the onset. I am not claiming this land to be something its not, but from the beginning we knew it would be a better iteration than the others.

No doubt. We're actually getting 2 legitimate theme park attractions vs 3 kiddie-section of amusement park or state fair attractions.

Did it need to be 11 acres? No way. There is a ton of wasted space around that area.

But at the end of the day, it's an addition and not a replacement. So there will never be an argument from me so long as they keep having additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom