Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

Paper fastpass wasn't nearly as big an impediment to a relaxing vacation as the current iteration, but yes - the decline has been long and constant.
The were an impediment in the mechanics of a queue. Really, you pay the same amount as everyone else yet now you get to stand there without moving for want seems like eternity while others, that also paid what you did, stroll by you and legally cut the line? It wasn't even the mess that created, it was the attitudes. (please don't say everyone had that opportunity to get a Fastpass, that ridiculous thought should have been dispelled a long time ago). They cut off when it got to a certain number those that couldn't get there early on lost out. Now the new FP is limited in numbers depending on the time of day they are issued for. They can be easily manipulated by electronic surveillance and can be changed moment to moment. That created even more frustration, anger and upset.

FP, did not solve any problems. There were no increase in PPH possibilities and it caused more unhappiness and frustration then it helped. I was there many times before Fastpass and yes there were long lines but they moved constantly and the most important part was you could actually see and gauge your progress. It was still a lot of line standing, but, it wasn't an angry crowd waiting, it was a group of people accepting the realities of theme parks experiences and as long as it was fair to everyone, it was laughed about and was all part of the experience. Fastpass, killed that. Yea, it's great if you have one in your hand, but, if not, it is double the wait and standstill time from before. If people looked at it for what it is they would find that nothing is really accomplished by them. The time you save having one is more then cancelled out by the time that you have to spend in standby now. Sounds good on paper, but, doesn't actually accomplish anything when stretched out over a day in the park.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Paper fastpass wasn't nearly as big an impediment to a relaxing vacation as the current iteration, but yes - the decline has been long and constant.

Really?
I used to hit a park, then dash across it - (sometimes leaving my wife to watch the kids when they were smaller and couldn't keep up) over to the paper ticket dispenser.
Repeat that process at another dispenser.
Now our rides are scheduled ahead of time and we can use the free time in between for standby rides if the wait is short enough, as well as take in the sights, eat shop...

po1998

Just my 2 cents...would it have been more pleasing to wannabe imagineers if the scaling within TSL made more sense? Probably, but I would guess 95% of the guests are never even going to notice or question it.

The kids will love being in a land devoted to the Toy Story trilogy, and most adults will enjoy it too.

I think if there is any reason to have concerns about the land, they would revolve around lack of a gift shop, M&G or another flat ride or dark ride to complement the 3 attractions the land will have when opened.

Kman101

Really?
I used to hit a park, then dash across it - (sometimes leaving my wife to watch the kids when they were smaller and couldn't keep up) over to the paper ticket dispenser.
Repeat that process at another dispenser.
Now our rides are scheduled ahead of time and we can use the free time in between for standby rides if the wait is short enough, as well as take in the sights, eat shop...

I agree. It was stressful that way. There's just a resentment towards MyMagic+. No one seems upset that other parks offer digital fastpasses. Of course that doesn't mean the program here isn't flawed and could be made better and maybe more fair. But I much prefer it to the old way. (I like how Disneyland mixes digital with paper, I've long thought they should have kept the individual attraction kiosks for FP's and you walk up scan your band and snag a good time. You should then be able to go into MMP and edit it and change it. There's a lot that could have been done)

I like being able to change my time, switch FP's, etc. I like booking on my phone. I know it isn't for everyone though, but it's not going away and you can slightly game it if you try (not gaming it in the way that caused them to crack down, I just mean you can work it to your advantage if you try). I know the stigma is having your phone out constantly but I rarely pull out my phone.

If someone goes in resenting something they'll never like it.

There's pros and cons to both versions of FP. Personally I wish there was no FP. And I wish you couldn't book them a zillion months in advance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Correlation is not causation.

FP+ arrived at the time of increased wait times. You know what else arrived at the time of increased wait times? Ever increasing attendance for decades.

A tipping point is being reached at WDW, with the theme parks running at near-capacity year-round. The following puts this in historical perspective, showing annual attendance divided by the number of theme parks:

View attachment 269633

The problem is not merely at the attractions. The buses, walkways, dining areas, bathrooms, etc. are more crowded than ever. The theme parks were not designed to handle these loads for this extended period of time.

A fifth theme park is needed by 2025 in order to avoid a significant reduction in services.

Case in point: I've seen the queue for the People Mover back up (without there being a break down). The People Mover is not on the FP+ system.

Kman101

Yeah, more people are visiting but if they aren't waiting in a queue, they're on the ground and, in the line for the PeopleMover, so I think it's a bit of both FP and added crowds with the lack of capacity to make up for said crowds. It's not just one thing to blame. But I know it's fun to just blame FP. I do think it's caused a lot of the problems but it's not the sole cause.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Correlation is not causation.

FP+ arrived at the time of increased wait times. You know what else arrived at the time of increased wait times? Ever increasing attendance for decades.

Case in point: I've seen the queue for the People Mover back up (without there being a break down). The People Mover is not on the FP+ system.
Peoplemover often instigates the stack queue, which also has the effect of a Fastpass merge.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not for everyone.

(EDIT: But yes I agree the decline has been long and constant; I'm not a fan of FP in general but I don't hate the new system, it could be better and I hate what they spent but I prefer it to paper FP and running around the park)
I’d rather have paper FP. Of course I’d rather have no FP but we’re going way off topic.

Kman101

I’d rather have paper FP. Of course I’d rather have no FP but we’re going way off topic.

I agree we're way off topic, but we're here. I truly don't miss running from one end of the park to the next. I agree it was more fair but to each their own I guess, lol. I'd rather be without it but I try to find the silver lining when I can :)

DisneyDodo

FastPass (both the paper and FP+ versions) is a zero-sum game - it helps some people, while negatively affecting others by a commensurate amount. The problem that has been plaguing the parks in recent years is not FP, but rather the lack of capacity. Attendance has been steadily increasing through the years, but the parks' abilities to service guests have not kept pace. When you have a ton of people competing for a very small number of ride & show seats, bathroom stalls, and shop vendors, you inevitably end up with long lines and crowding everywhere.

tonymu

Premium Member
For me paper fastpass was worse. To be able to enjoy the most attractions and work the system, when we got out of an attraction I would send the family in the direction of our next attraction and I would run across the park with all of our tickets to run the tickets through fastpass kiosk of the attraction we wanted to get the next fastpass for and then run back across the park to meet up with them. It made every day a workout and split us up constantly. We also used to spend a couple of days at the end of a week long trip park hopping and hitting our favorite attractions in each park before we had to travel back home. You can't even do that anymore because of fastpass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom