Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mm52200

I often think how if TSM wasn’t literally the only family ride in the park for almost 10 years...would it have a different level of popularity and would it be having a whole new land built around it. When it’s the only option for the whole family in a park, of course everyone loves it.
For comparison at DCA, yes TSM is a popular ride but no where near the headliner multi hour wait it has at DHS.
I think when MMRR opens at studios it’s going to be a real eye opener to what a family ride can be, and when you actually give the guests some options how the popularity between the two may fair out...

No Name

Quite frankly I think the opinion here is in line with "the masses" on most things.

I never found the part where the masses stopped enjoying things that aren't based on popular movie/television IPs, or where they wanted everything to be a screen, or where they got orgasms over the thought of pretending a standard amusement park coaster is Andy's toy. I do find that when something is well-done, the masses generally enjoy it. And I find that when a park has a solid theme, it performs better. There's a reason DHS and DAK made it with a handful of attractions and DCA was panned. There's a reason the Mermaid ride isn't too popular but the Haunted Mansion is. There's a reason for everything.

Disney always has and absolutely should be trying to catering to the masses. But lately I think they've been catering to a false, and certainly un-backed, perception of what the masses want.

So then you're saying those who don't agree are stupid. Got it.

Because not every person who likes TSMM is stupid, that means every person who dislikes it is stupid. What a logical conclusion K!

Last edited:

jkpmac

Every theme park has aimed to do more than amuse, and guests want to be more than amused. One reason Six Flags are getting 2 million a year and Magic Kingdom is getting 20.
Point taken, they work hard to entertain, and we have been to a few other Amusement Parks to know how hard they work to do that! But, the point I was making was as one of the masses I hardly think I am STUPID if I like or Dislike Toy Story Mania, or TSL or SWL etc.

tonymu

Premium Member
I've never understood the love for TSMM. I only ride it because the family like it! I would choose Buzz every time.

Not sure I should post this, I might get banned for life :D. But there has to be somebody else who doesn't like it......?
I also prefer shooting a laser from a pistol at targets in a scene over yanking a string at video screens.

ToTBellHop

I like Midway Mania well enough. It’s a fun ride. I have critiques but if if settled at 30-40 min waits like it deserves, I’d be fine with it. It suffers because 10 years after opening, it is still the newest ride at DHS. Hopefully between a third track and five new rides, it will settle into an appropriate level of popularity in a little over 18 months.

My biggest gripe is that they built a ride which could easily change and have only updated the visuals once. A Halloween and a Christmas overlay are no brainers.

EricsBiscuit

I like Midway Mania well enough. It’s a fun ride. I have critiques but if if settled at 30-40 min waits like it deserves, I’d be fine with it. It suffers because 10 years after opening, it is still the newest ride at DHS. Hopefully between a third track and five new rides, it will settle into an appropriate level of popularity in a little over 18 months.

My biggest gripe is that they built a ride which could easily change and have only updated the visuals once. A Halloween and a Christmas overlay are no brainers.
It'll settle into 30-40 mins after SWL opens and they divide the park in two! Hahah

daringstoic

I often think how if TSM wasn’t literally the only family ride in the park for almost 10 years...would it have a different level of popularity and would it be having a whole new land built around it. When it’s the only option for the whole family in a park, of course everyone loves it.
For comparison at DCA, yes TSM is a popular ride but no where near the headliner multi hour wait it has at DHS.
I think when MMRR opens at studios it’s going to be a real eye opener to what a family ride can be, and when you actually give the guests some options how the popularity between the two may fair out...
I think it would still do reasonably well. The Buzz Lightyear still does consistently well at the MK after all these years. Plus, when I visited DLP in 2016, the Toy Story area, though small, was my favorite part of both parks there. There's so much potential for theming and photo ops in the social media era we live in that people will flock to it. And as much as I hate stereotyping things because I was a non-Princessy girl growing up, it's good to have an area that will have a wider appeal than something like New Fantasyland did.

shortstop

Disney always has and absolutely should be trying to catering to the masses. But lately I think they've been catering to a false, and certainly un-backed, perception of what the masses want.
I disagree. Disney has always found success not by catering to the masses but by giving guests what they didn’t know they wanted. Although I see your point and I’m making a semantic point.

No Name

I disagree. Disney has always found success not by catering to the masses but by giving guests what they didn’t know they wanted. Although I see your point and I’m making a semantic point.

But giving guests what they didn't know they wanted is the utmost form of catering to the masses. Most people aren't able to articulate what they'd like in a new ride or park because it's just not their passion or career. Naturally they resort to something they already see and know. That holds true for just about every creative medium. If Disney were to always give guests what they think or say they want, they would be out of business. So yes, I fully agree, but we're getting stuck over words.

Last edited:

shortstop

But giving guests what they didn't know they wanted is the utmost form of catering to the masses. Most people aren't able to articulate what they'd like in a new ride or park because it's just not their passion or career. Naturally they resort to something they already see and know. That holds true for just about every creative medium. If Disney were to always give guests what they think or say they want, they would be out of business. So yes, I fully agree, but we're getting stuck over words.
Agreed, I just think it’s an important distinction to make!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Does TSMM have 4D effects? I can't remember. Would be a fun thing to add I suppose. Of the two shooter attractions I still prefer Buzz, though I can't exactly pinpoint why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom