Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JUFL2019

Can someone tell me what the use of those two smaller buildings is (the ones next to the Slinky Dog coaster, across from the parking lot). They seem so small and random that I'm not sure why they decided to keep them around unless they are needed for something important that can't be relocated (or maybe just didn't want to spend the money tearing them down) I believe there was originally 4 of those small buildings and 2 were torn down. Who even uses that parking lot and large parking structure?

Also curious why there are so many support buildings behind Star Wars Land. Seems like a waste of space. There was one building they kept from the Backlot tour days, but it looks like they actually built more support buildings back there. (cheaply and quick I assume). Just wondering what they are for.

They are for support.

S 2

Speaking of footprint: AWESOME!
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 5.57.33 PM copy.png

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

Will the footprint allow for the addition of another attraction in the future? Currently, the aerial views would suggest otherwise. As I am sure others have noted, two new attractions, a new quick service restaurant, and the inclusion of an existing attraction do not make for much of a “land.” Bugs Land, in Disney California Adventure, has four!

lazyboy97o

...and why shouldn't we be upset about Disney abandoning one of their own design philosophies? The fact that they were up front about it doesn't make it acceptable. They used to literally theme specific parts of buildings that were found to be intrusive into other areas to make them fit. At the very least, they would paint them go-away green or sky blue.

Now it's just like... "Here's your exposed bare steel coaster! Sorry about the untouched buildings you can see all over the place from it and how they jarringly remove you from the thrilling prospect of pretending that you're in Andy's backyard, but look at those giant Rex and Jessie statues! Aren't they more timeless and more family and more Disney???"

Surely they could have AT LEAST controlled sight lines from within the same park?
I’m guessing a LOT of time, money and effort are going into making sure that there are no “unimportant” sight line intrusions in the other land being built.

RSoxNo1

Not seeing anything outside a 'land' is a recent thing with Potterland and Pandora. You can see a European Romantic Era Castle from Frontierland.

Calm down.
Some of the best themed lands in the world have visual intrusions and that definitely takes you out of them. Hogsmeade has the Forbidden Journey show building visible and used to have the Dragon Challenge coasters visible. Cars Land has Tower of Terror/Mission Breakout.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You either don’t know the design history of the medium or are intentionally ignoring it.

Or you're just making up standards that Disney has never promised to follow or never get actualized in reality since you can't hide everything and make every single thing and person you see 100% thematically pure.

By your standard, a new 'land' can never have an outdoor coaster no matter how appropriately themed or a Tower of Terror that opens at the top. Tall rides allow you to see past the boundaries.

So, calm down.

lazyboy97o

Or you're just making up standards that Disney has never promised to follow or never get actualized in reality since you can't hide everything and make every single thing and person you see 100% thematically pure.

By your standard, a new 'land' can never have an outdoor coaster no matter how appropriately themed or a Tower of Terror that opens at the top. Tall rides allow you to see past the boundaries.

So, calm down.
You’re falsely equating deliberate design decisions and falling short with not caring or trying in the first place.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You’re falsely equating deliberate design decisions and falling short with not caring or trying in the first place.

We get it. You hate the 'bare' coaster. Not every new land is going to be a E-level Land. Just like not every new ride is going to be an E-Ticket Ride. I'm sorry for your disappointment. But go ahead and suppose people don't care because they don't agree with you.

ToTBellHop

We get it. You hate the 'bare' coaster. Not every new land is going to be a E-level Land. Just like not every new ride is going to be an E-Ticket Ride. I'm sorry for your disappointment. But go ahead and suppose people don't care because they don't agree with you.
For me, it will come down to WHAT the exposed roofs look like. Hopefully they will theme them. I remember us getting bent out of shape over exposed pipes on top of Harambe Theater as it was being built. The view was fixed prior to opening. They usually still care while you’re in a land. I seem to remember artwork showing one building painted like a board game on top?

lazyboy97o

You are the one who dismissed decades of prior work to suit your narrative that sightlines are only of recent concern.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You are the one who dismissed decades of prior work to suit your narrative that sightlines are only of recent concern.

Concerns? Sure. You obscure what you can without being OCD about it or breaking the bank.

But, obsessively creating a cocoon wherein absolutely nothing unthemed or belonging to a different theme is seen from within a land? That is very recent. You're delusional if you think that goes back decades or actually accomplished that decades ago or is somehow the de facto norm that every new land must adhere to. You can see the castle from everywhere. Every tall ride that's in the open, even partially, is going to give you a view of not only the whole park but see things outside the park. Everest, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn, even the People Mover let you see past the land you're in. If you think Slinky Dog is breaking decades old tradition, you're high.

lazyboy97o

Concerns? Sure. You obscure what you can without being OCD about it or breaking the bank.

But, obsessively creating a cocoon wherein absolutely nothing unthemed or belonging to a different theme is seen from within a land? That is very recent. You're delusional if you think that goes back decades or actually accomplished that decades ago or is somehow the de facto norm that every new land must adhere to. You can see the castle from everywhere. Every tall ride that's in the open, even partially, is going to give you a view of not only the whole park but see things outside the park. Everest, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn, even the People Mover let you see past the land you're in. If you think Slinky Dog is breaking decades old tradition, you're high.
The criticism of this land (and those that come before it) is not that a few anachronisms are slipping into view. That’s your straw man.

Casper Gutman

Wait... not every land is going to be E-level? Why the heck is that OK? This is a Disney park - the reason they are special is the level of detail and theming in every public space, big or small. And now, when WDW is charging absolutely absurd prices for tickets, rooms, and everything else, when they have let the parks stagnate for decades, guests are supposed to be content that not every new land will be E-level? What, then, is the purpose of a Disney park?

Incomudro

I've always liked being able to see other things off in the distance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom