Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From bioreconstruct on Twitter...

upload_2017-10-8_12-38-41.png

Fox&Hound

From bioreconstruct on Twitter...

View attachment 236713

It's kind of funny that the middle part goes into the tunnel. From the ariel view it looks like the middle is completely missing =)

Does anyone know if the fence will continue on the other side of ride building as well (the side that is towards the end of the ride)? If not, it seems like you'd have a pretty wild view of the interstate.....

ToTBellHop

It's kind of funny that the middle part goes into the tunnel. From the ariel view it looks like the middle is completely missing =)

Does anyone know if the fence will continue on the other side of ride building as well (the side that is towards the end of the ride)? If not, it seems like you'd have a pretty wild view of the interstate.....
I believe they are relying on trees over there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Who's to say that there wasn't a highway running behind Andy's house. ;)

sedati

As we drove by, I was only able to catch glimpses through the berm, I don't think any part of it was visible over the trees at least from the northbound side. I can say that it seemed larger than I was expecting, while at the same time, seemed much lower to the ground.

Goofyernmost

As we drove by, I was only able to catch glimpses through the berm, I don't think any part of it was visible over the trees at least from the northbound side. I can say that it seemed larger than I was expecting, while at the same time, seemed much lower to the ground.
Well, it is what is usually classified as a "fun" coaster. It never was thought of as a "heart in you throat" coaster. However, height would have been a problem with the fan base insistence that things not be visible outside the land and the reason why it has the electronic propulsion mechanism to propel it in two different locations along the ride. For the purposes of this ride, the lower elevation will serve it well.

sedati

Well, it is what is usually classified as a "fun" coaster. It never was thought of as a "heart in you throat" coaster. However, height would have been a problem with the fan base insistence that things not be visible outside the land and the reason why it has the electronic propulsion mechanism to propel it in two different locations along the ride. For the purposes of this ride, the lower elevation will serve it well.
You seem to have taken my statement as a negative which wasn't the intent. A lower profile should be more exciting visually and will hopefully keep us more fully within the land and its story. I commented long ago about the benefits of losing the first lift hill in place of a launch for these very reasons. Definitely think this is the way to go with an open-air coaster, especially one targeted to all ages.
On that note, I'd like to add that I've finally made it onto Everest (yes, it's been that long.) Love, love, love the ride, but I will say that more than a fully armed and operational Yeti I'd actually prefer they find ways to hide the outside world from the top of the mountain. The main lift I'm OK with as you sort of have to crane your head about to see anything too out of place. Cresting that hill however, I recall seeing both the box of the Nemo Theater, and a vista of Kissimmee. Not sure what could be done to correct this, but I believe blanketing this area in mist and fog would do the trick and was probably the original intention (hopefully that can be restored.) It's fun to see the Epcot/Studios area from the pause at the broken track, but I'd much prefer a force-perspective view of more Himalayan peaks. From that height I don't think we should be seeing trees let alone hotels and Geodesic Domes. An old argument I know, but one new to me.

Goofyernmost

You seem to have taken my statement as a negative which wasn't the intent. A lower profile should be more exciting visually and will hopefully keep us more fully within the land and its story. I commented long ago about the benefits of losing the first lift hill in place of a launch for these very reasons. Definitely think this is the way to go with an open-air coaster, especially one targeted to all ages.
On that note, I'd like to add that I've finally made it onto Everest (yes, it's been that long.) Love, love, love the ride, but I will say that more than a fully armed and operational Yeti I'd actually prefer they find ways to hide the outside world from the top of the mountain. The main lift I'm OK with as you sort of have to crane your head about to see anything too out of place. Cresting that hill however, I recall seeing both the box of the Nemo Theater, and a vista of Kissimmee. Not sure what could be done to correct this, but I believe blanketing this area in mist and fog would do the trick and was probably the original intention (hopefully that can be restored.) It's fun to see the Epcot/Studios area from the pause at the broken track, but I'd much prefer a force-perspective view of more Himalayan peaks. From that height I don't think we should be seeing trees let alone hotels and Geodesic Domes. An old argument I know, but one new to me.
No I didn't take it as a negative, but, I did feel that we needed to reinforce the idea that it isn't a much mistaken demand that Disney have a lot more "thrill" rides. That is not Disney... there are plenty of other places to find that. Disney should remain Disney and now it seems that you agree with that. I'm looking forward to riding it. Imagine that a 70 year old man that is looking forward to riding a slinky coaster. I'm glad that Disney still listens to my feelings and not just those that are obsessed with a rapid heartbeat. Life has given me enough of those... I now look for fun while I can still enjoy it.

Florida is a very flat land, especially central Florida. It would be difficult to build anything with any elevation without making some things visible. I just feel that is making a mountain out of a molehill. It happens in a lot of places. Big Thunder, the Tree-house, the top of the Contemporary, ToT and others. It isn't the end of the world and to me it just adds to the enjoyment.

sedati

I did feel that we needed to reinforce the idea that it isn't a much mistaken demand that Disney have a lot more "thrill" rides. That is not Disney... there are plenty of other places to find that. Disney should remain Disney and now it seems that you agree with that. I'm looking forward to riding it. Imagine that a 70 year old man that is looking forward to riding a slinky coaster. I'm glad that Disney still listens to my feelings and not just those that are obsessed with a rapid heartbeat. Life has given me enough of those... I now look for fun while I can still enjoy it.

Are there rides at Disney you won't do? I'd put both Everest and Rock'n'roller both a bit over Thunder and Space Mountain in terms of thrill, but still consider them fairly tame. This was not my first time of Tower Of Terror, but my first with the randomized drops which I enjoyed, but found to be a toned-down experience. Very little use of the full height of the tower. No one would ride Mission Space with me (I did it twice without issue) even though no one else had done it before. The simple concept of the ride (claustrophobic with spinning) put them off which I feel is a real shame as I do love that ride, especially after the update. No one would ride "Rip Ride Rocket" at Universal with me though I was the oldest person on our trip (I did it three times, but concede that it is extreme and rough.)

Goofyernmost

Are there rides at Disney you won't do? I'd put both Everest and Rock'n'roller both a bit over Thunder and Space Mountain in terms of thrill, but still consider them fairly tame. This was not my first time of Tower Of Terror, but my first with the randomized drops which I enjoyed, but found to be a toned-down experience. Very little use of the full height of the tower. No one would ride Mission Space with me (I did it twice without issue) even though no one else had done it before. The simple concept of the ride (claustrophobic with spinning) put them off which I feel is a real shame as I do love that ride, especially after the update. No one would ride "Rip Ride Rocket" at Universal with me though I was the oldest person on our trip (I did it three times, but concede that it is extreme and rough.)
No I do them all with the exception of Space Mountain, but, that is because of a leg injury that makes getting out of the vehicles difficult and sometimes embarrassing. Rip Ride is a huge no freaking way for me. It's more the trip up to the top that would be prohibitive to my thought processes then the ride itself, but, I am not a real fan of any coaster. However, I do most all of them. Wooden coasters... no way. They are standing out in the open air and I have seen what water does to wood. There are very few enjoyable ways of dying, but, that would be something that I would avoid at all costs.

sedati

No I do them all with the exception of Space Mountain, but, that is because of a leg injury that makes getting out of the vehicles difficult and sometimes embarrassing. Rip Ride is a huge no freaking way for me. It's more the trip up to the top that would be prohibitive to my thought processes then the ride itself, but, I am not a real fan of any coaster. However, I do most all of them. Wooden coasters... no way. They are standing out in the open air and I have seen what water does to wood. There are very few enjoyable ways of dying, but, that would be something that I would avoid at all costs.

Glad you're still at it- you give me hope.
Most coasters give the sensation that the worst could possibly happen, but in the back of your mind you feel relatively safe. The Coney Island Cyclone is the one that really crossed the line for me. It really feels like you are going to fly off the tracks to your doom (still rode three times in a row.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom