Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BlindChow

And "Fans" will decry ... that the horse their riding is make of wood and mounted on a very visible pole!
I make it a point to stand outside Prince Charming's Carousel in the Magic Kingdom and shout "Prince Charming's horse didn't have a metal pole thru its abdomen, this ride isn't canon!!" every time I visit the parks.

I've been forcibly removed seven times.

lazyboy97o

So parks should only add E tickets - just have a few rides with massive lines? They are adding a wide range of attractions right now along with infrastructure improvements, restaurants, hotels - at some point I have to give them some credit.
It's not rather bare rides or E-Tickets.

From everything I've heard, WDW has more first-time guests than repeat guests. That's the reason they don't do the "Holiday" overlays on Haunted Mansion or Small World. This isn't Disneyland (where the repeats actually outnumber the first-timers by a huge margin)...
First time visitors don't fill up timeshares. Walt Disney World has far more repeat visitation than is alluded. The seasonal overlays are not done because of cost.

Those have pathetic rides. The rides we're getting are much improved. They won't be for everyone. I've left myself open to seeing the finished land and whether I'll be immersed or not but for me the coaster, in this case, doesn't bother me. If they built an outdoor coaster with no theming anywhere else ala six flags and universal no i wouldn't like it at a Disney park. But in the context of zooming around Andys backyard, I'm good with it. You may even like it and find it fun.
Toy Story Land being different from the Toy Story Playlands because of just the rides proves the point that the land is built on amusement, not themed experience.

A random thought occured to me: why does this land have to be in Andy's backyard? As many have mentioned there is very little about the rides that suggest they are his toys in his back yard. Why could they not have designed it that everything (including TSMM) is all in Andy's bedroom). Too repetitive? Just thinking it would have given them more ways to hide access roads and other buildings.

Edit- that is also a "land" from a movie we are more familair with.
Because the story was created to cheaply add rather basic rides to Walt Disney Studios Park. That remains the reason the concept keeps being duplicated, adding rides with a veneer of story to make them appear more special.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Notice the box and coaster pieces sitting inside it: "Dash & Dodge - Mega Coaster Kit". One of Andy's toys in his backyard (in this theme) is a kids roller coaster kit.

Now, yes, I get it, this is a clever way to get around having to make the coaster "not really a coaster cause it's a toy".

Indeed...

http://www.superdairyboy.com/Toys/coasterdynamics/coaster_dynamics_roller_coaster_models.html

Only Andy creatively used his Slinky Dog at the coaster car.

And...

upload_2017-7-26_23-23-0.png

upload_2017-7-26_23-23-34.png

No Name

I think the real solution to the Toy Story Land problem is not to destroy it, but to add to it.

image.jpeg

You've all seen this too many times, but just notice how many toys there are, and notice all of the potential spinning/moving ones. It didn't look as much like a waste of space, because they filled up the space! This looked like a fun, cute, vibrant land. Of course the trenches helped, but that's in the past.

I hope more toys are in the future.

Oh a mostly unrelated note, any update on Mr. Potato Head?

Amidala

(Vaguely related) I've heard it mentioned a few times here that the current management is on its way out. This may be an obvious question, but do we have an idea of when Iger will be stepping back?

bclane

I think you are right. That's the "problem" with launch coasters. They end my being shorter (time wise).
I don't understand why Disney doesn't combine dark ride elements with their launch coasters. They can utilize this to have multiple sections with stop/start, slow/medium/fast launches that could really extend ride time as will as thrill factor and create a truly epic experience in the process. Tron would be a prime example of how they could use this, and Toy Story could work as well.

dreamscometrue

Do we have any idea on the length of the Slinky, time wise? Looks like a sizable track but can't imagine it being north of 2 minutes.
Do we have any idea on the length of the Slinky, time wise? Looks like a sizable track but can't imagine it being north of 2 minutes.
I would guess about 1 minute 10-15 seconds. Rather typical for a coaster, but not a really long track and no high speeds reached, so I think it'll simply be a fun family coaster. Those in the know might have a better time estimate, but I'm comfortable with that time suggestion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom